Oh Carpe Deim: Another 5 Takeaways | The Boneyard

Oh Carpe Deim: Another 5 Takeaways

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"The shots weren’t falling. The deficit was growing. The crowd was getting rowdier. And yet, the Huskies managed to squeak out a victory largely because they were playing Oklahoma, not Notre Dame, Oregon or Baylor.

Clearly, moving forward, the Huskies will need to become more balanced offensively. They have no other choice."

What's that mean?

UConn women’s takeaways: Cold shooting nearly dooms Huskies

Reaction Score
Not sure what it means .

We need to bring much more energy, even when the shots are not dropping: more energy on offense and defense. That is for sure. Else, if this happens against a top 5 team, we lose. Period.

It hurt that MW is still not 100%.

Me thinks the kids learned a lot last night. It will be a good teaching moment for Geno and co.

I still hold :rolleyes: that, baring injury, if we bring our "A" game in the FF, we will cut down the nets.

We shall see.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I don't think it means anything new, doesn't Geno make this type of analysis every season?
If we play this bad against any opponent, then I guess we could lose and we won't have an undefeated season.
There's nothing anyone can do if good shots just aren't falling, which I think was happening for 30 minutes or longer last night.

Reaction Score
Clearly, this writer should check the season stats, which show UConn with 5 players averaging double figures. Those 5 were especially impressive against ND. If you don't run the offense then you're not certainly not going to get anything close to balanced scoring. They were flat and disorganized, and by "they" I mean not just the players. On the other hand, great coaching job by Coales. They deserved to win.

Reaction Score
"The shots weren’t falling. The deficit was growing. The crowd was getting rowdier. And yet, the Huskies managed to squeak out a victory largely because they were playing Oklahoma, not Notre Dame, Oregon or Baylor.

Clearly, moving forward, the Huskies will need to become more balanced offensively. They have no other choice."

What's that mean?

I know your Montana birds are putting droplets on my head but Geno's sky isn't falling just yet. The nucleus of this team is solid; any one of the 5 can score. Normally the underclassmen defer to the Seniors and normally the Seniors are all that is needed.

My differing opinion (don't bank it)--is obvious and evident a s you saw as Geno tried 3 subs to change the equation to Uconn favor. Good kids all. I compare 3 OU frosh to Uconn's subs and wonder; how can that be. OU subs and nothing seems to change with them, at least not negatively. Their players came from Okla, Nebraska, Texas--is Uconn plowing the wrong fields?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let's remember we are talkng about 18 to 22 year old young ladies. Talented - yes. Smart - yes. But they are not "machines" that you send out into the court to play.

Someone needs to remind the author of the article this fact and then ask him if he ever had an off day!!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A basketball team always looks better when shots are falling. If the shots are ones they usually make and at a decent %, but the whole team has an off night, obviously winning is tougher. If the game plan is sound and the offense executes it well except for the shots missing, hopefully the D will still give you a shot at winning. Geno’s teams usually win on D with the O deciding the margin. Their rare losses are almost always very close to a good team who we don’t manage to defend as well as usual.

My only question about last night continues to be whether or not the defensive plan was too conservative and let OU, especially the younger players, get comfortable in a slower pace.

Reaction Score

What's that mean?

It means that other than Collier, they have no inside offense and they have to shoot a high percentage on 3s and from the perimeter to beat decent teams.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I am a glass 1/2 full guy and UConn did a great job when the shooting was as bad as it could be. They won the game going away. As we all know, the greatest athletes of all time, hall of famers, Olympic Champs, etc--all have down days. A great team is finding a way to win on a bad day. UConn did that.
Yes, UConn was flat, a little slow, broke down on D, and were standing around a little too much. It happens. Watch the NFL playoffs when the Bye teams come out slow or get beat. Look at the upsets in the NFL over the last few weeks. These are the best PROFESSIONAL athletes in the world and they break down.
What is mind boggling is UConn only has one of two games a year like that (and they almost always win them anyway.) UConn is the most consistent team on earth. You doubt it. Name another team with the records Geno has. The last regular season loss was in 2014!!! Are you kidding me.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
"I think one thing about this year is I’m well aware of the things that are happening," senior Katie Lou Samuelson said. "I think we’re all well aware that at any moment we can lose. We’re not a group that’s going to lose in the last two Final Fours and then think that everything’s fine. We know anything can happen at any time so we’re all prepared to have these games. We know we’re going to have these games throughout the year and we’re going to be ready to fight no matter what happens.”
Nuff said.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm almost more worried about the defense
Sherri's kids were able to get makable shots all night.
Lot's of space in the lane and on the perimeter
Moves inside against our bigger team were succesful.
In some ways, this reminded me of the Mississippi State game.
Sure we fought back and won.
But hardly a day to pat ourselves on the back

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It means that other than Collier, they have no inside offense and they have to shoot a high percentage on 3s and from the perimeter to beat decent teams.

How soon we forget ND. Tsk Tsk. The chicken little syndrome apparently is still alive and well.

Reaction Score
How soon we forget ND. Tsk Tsk. The chicken little syndrome apparently is still alive and well.
and as I recall, Most of Lou's points were in close ... I mean, we only got 6 points from beyond the arc. The SKY is Not falling!

Reaction Score

No spitting match with my favorite eagle as I howl at him flying over but....
With #1 playing what some poles have as #150 some folks expected a bit of a different game.
https://herosports.com/rankings/college-d1-womens-basketball
I don't see any chicken little syndrome here at all, simply reality. A team with lesser talent exploited an inside lack of a big and simply scared the hell out of a lot of UConn fans.

We are the team that every other team has circled on their schedule as OK proved for sure. Hope the faithful can hang as there are going to be bumps in the road this year most are not used to.

Reaction Score
What does it mean? I think the focus falls squarely on Walker, who was the most uninspired of all the uninspired. When the usually-reliable Lou can't hit the gymnasium wall for most of the game, someone has to pick up the slack beyond Pheesa and Crystal. So it means Walker cannot disappear and Squeaks needs to ne aggressive from the get-go.

Reaction Score
Let's remember we are talkng about 18 to 22 year old young ladies. Talented - yes. Smart - yes. But they are not "machines" that you send out into the court to play.

Someone needs to remind the author of the article this fact and then ask him if he ever had an off day!!!
Maybe not the thread author; but me. I never have a bad day, NO: Life , Yes!

Reaction Score
What does it mean? I think the focus falls squarely on Walker, who was the most uninspired of all the uninspired. When the usually-reliable Lou can't hit the gymnasium wall for most of the game, someone has to pick up the slack beyond Pheesa and Crystal. So it means Walker cannot disappear and Squeaks needs to ne aggressive from the get-go.

You misjudge the current Ms Walker from one who hang dog looked on the bench. She can hit the 3, she does drive and score, does defend much bigger players, regularly gets 10 or better points. Normally she is a good passer to Napheesa, normally. Let us not judge Ms Walker based on a once in a decade Frosh or on the OU game alone. When her High School confidence returns she'll be dueling CW for points, and still rebound well. Those that have played close games in HS, College beyond know that teams feed off of the Leaders. Leaders that look like "What's Happening" that permeates the team, with expected results.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Did you check Lou's stat line for the game? She shot 6 for 19 overall, including 1 for 6 on threes. That means she was 5 for 13 on 2-point attempts, and she played in enough traffic to get 8 free throws, making 7. So 17 of her 20 points were NOT scored from the perimeter. She also got 11 rebounds, 5 of which were offensive.

So please tell me again why you think that Napheesa is Uconn's only presence in the paint??

Overall, only 17 of Uconn's 70 shots were from 3-point range, far less than the one third ratio that Geno has mentioned as a rough target. So if the offense was unbalanced last night, it was because it was overly weighted towards inside scoring.

There are things to be concerned about in last night's game, such as Crystal's bad passes and the many missed layups. But excessive reliance on the 3-point shot is not one of them.

Reaction Score
My differing opinion (don't bank it)--is obvious and evident a s you saw as Geno tried 3 subs to change the equation to Uconn favor. Good kids all. I compare 3 OU frosh to Uconn's subs and wonder; how can that be. OU subs and nothing seems to change with them, at least not negatively. Their players came from Okla, Nebraska, Texas--is Uconn plowing the wrong fields?

so you'd like to trade the OK freshmen for the UConn freshmen? Somehow I think OK would be OK with that deal.............;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wasn't taking a shot at fans or Yarders, but the article. And a small shot at that. The need to find 5 things for every game is apparently a journalistic habit, but it's a nonsensical one. I'm sure Geno and Co. had far more than 5 things to talk about with our team, though I suspect a road trip limits the opportunities to teach.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wasn't taking a shot at fans or Yarders, but the article. And a small shot at that. The need to find 5 things for every game is apparently a journalistic habit, but it's a nonsensical one. I'm sure Geno and Co. had far more than 5 things to talk about with our team, though I suspect a road trip limits the opportunities to teach.
It makes perfect sense. There are 5 fingers on a hand. There is a 5 finger discount. There is 5 Finger Death Punch. 5 is the new 7.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It makes perfect sense. There are 5 fingers on a hand. There is a 5 finger discount. There is 5 Finger Death Punch. 5 is the new 7.

I prefer this 5 finger thingey:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom