Official UCONN vs Nova prediction thread | The Boneyard

Official UCONN vs Nova prediction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN controls both lines of scrimmage, rushes for 125 yards and gets 3 sacks. Special team score by Newsome. Defense sets up another score on a fumble recovery.

Dogs 31-27

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, can't see us breaking 30 pts in our first game. I'll go with uconn winning 27-21

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Until I see differently with my own eyes, I can't see us scoring north of 30 points either. Too many question marks needs to be answered before I go there. Where is our OL at right now? Can Shirreffs lead the offense, with/without protection? Are we going to be able to get through the first offensive series without turning the ball over?

Fortunately, I like our defense...especially the front 7. For that reason, and I think we will win if we can manage to scuffle our way north of 20 points. I see Newsome as a legitimate threat in the KR game and I like Lamelle on PR duties (the less balls that hit the ground, the better!). I think specials and our defense will give our offense a few short fields and we capitalize. I'm taking the home team 3 points here...maybe out of sheer hope, desperation, or wishful thinking. This is a crucial opening night. Losing this game will ensure that the majority of our casual fans will not find their way back to the Rent for the rest of the season. Lots of pressure.

UConn 24-20 and our defense holds a late game drive by Nova to preserve the much needed W.

Reaction Score
This game scares me. I think people underrate the FCS. Since the scholarship reductions for FBS the gap between FBS and FCS has reduced dramatically. Nova is a very good FCS team who would finish in the top half of the AAC. FCS or not FCS they are not the worst team on our schedule. I think it is very important for UConn to get off to a good start. If they start the game with mistakes like the did against BYU last year it could kill all the confidence that was built during the off season and they could develop a "here we go again" attitude. That being said I think Nova may underestimate UConn and UConn wins 24-17. A big confidence building game.

Reaction Score
I'm going with 23-14 (we score 2 td's and hit 3 fg's ), our D line does the job with their in-experienced O-line. This all hinges upon Sherriffs protecting the ball. He comes unglued and coughs it up...those of us who stay till the end no matter what will have a nice and easy time getting out of the stadium.

Reaction Score
I think, for the first time in a while, we enjoy what a 1AA game is supposed to be.

UConn 37, NOVA 13

Reaction Score
I don't expect Nova to make mistakes. Fingers crossed that any we have don't cost us the game.

My impression with reports from camp is that when holes opened Arkeel was able to slip through and get yards. With him and Johnson getting positive yards we stand a chance to get the running game established, sneak in a few 20-30 years pass plays and keep their O off the field.

Our D will have a much more aggressive front this year and I think the edge rush is going to force nova to play faster than they want to.

Hoping we can keep our D rested and we bend and don't break and can keep Nova to 1 TD.

If Tarbutt really is a threat with anything from the 40 and in we may be able to rack up a few 3's if we can't shake lose for TD's.

31-10 UConn

Reaction Score
They return a lot of their defense and will hold us under 30. However, outside of the QB the have a great deal of new faces contributing. I think our D will knock around their Oline and for the most part contain Robertson. He is going to get his yards but I think we will clamp down in the red zone. Predication 24-16 good guys.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I just hope someone can catch their QB if he breaks contain. Last season breaking contain meant a 30 yd run at minimum and often a TD. We will pressure him. Last year they just ran past and around the LB's and Ends. If you want any early indicator this is it. The turnovers are obvious. 23-13 UConn seams about right as benchmark.

Reaction Score
IF and that's a big if, Diaco lets the dogs out, lots of blitzing and qb pressure, our D will create a few turnovers and score one themselves.
The offense looks better and more confidant as the game goes on.
UCONN 34 Nova 14

Reaction Score
UCONN 19 (4 fgs and td) Villanova 16

Biggest issue for the D will be keeping contain. Stewart and Luke C. need to set the edge. The D Line should control the middle. Their qb is very good.

On offense the key is to limit turnovers. I would run, run, and run some more. Set up play action and screens.

Reaction Score
Robertson will be tough for Uconn to control but I think they are up to the task. I can give him two tds. Our D will be very stingy with him.

I believe our offense will surprise and grind out some serious yardage on the ground. We've got a better kicking game.

Uconn 27 Villanova 17

Reaction Score
The frustration of the past few years, and the hope that the program might turn a corner inspires a Rentscheler crowd like in the old days. The fan support and noise inspire the players. Uconn 42 Nova 10.

Reaction Score
The frustration of the past few years, and the hope that the program might turn a corner inspires a Rentscheler crowd like in the old days. The fan support and noise inspire the players. Uconn 42 Nova 10.
What kind of drugs inspire your delirium? (and where can we get them?)

Reaction Score
Villanova 17 UConn 10. I just can't see this offense doing anything. Sad to say but I don't expect to see mcuh offense.

Reaction Score
After watching the Montana/SDSU game to get a gauge on what the top 10 of FCS could/should look like and after seeing a couple reports on Villanova I feel pretty good about UConn really taking it to these guys. The Husky D from last year is pretty much intact just bigger, faster and more in tune with where they need to be. Robertson might be a scrambler but they lost a couple of blockers and a couple of his passing targets. I see the edge getting closed off faster and faster as the game goes on. I don't see them scoring much at all unless there's a couple really blown assignments. I can see the UConn D forcing a couple turnovers and special teams causing one also.

I see the UConn offense starting out slow but building momentum as they wear down the Nova D late in the second and third quarters. The Huskies will try to establish the run early and Nova will be forced to stack the box. How effective UConn counters that is what everyone in the world wants to see. But... UConn is bigger and faster and as good as Nova's offense might be against FCS teams their D(aside from Cherry) isn't playing an FCS team and size will matter especially in the fourth quarter. Remember... UConn has had Balis since last winter and Nova hasn't. The final quarter will make that abundantly clear. Also keep in mind this is Nova's first game of the year also so their kinks have to be worked out.

Halftime score UConn 17 Nova 0. Final UConn 34 Nova 6 or 7. Keep in mind your only talking about 4 TD's and 2 field goals for UConn and at least one of those could come from the D and another from special teams. It will be a convincing enough win for the program and fans to feel good about yet enough question marks for intense Boneyard fodder leading up to the Army game.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm out in Arizona for work this week and I'll be watching the game on my tablet in a hotel room Thursday night.

So here is my prediction......

If UConn loses you all should be watching cable news Friday afternoon because I will be blitzed on the Phoenix-Charlotte flight and there's a way above average chance I drink to much and cause a TSA/FAA emergency landing somewhere.

Reaction Score
What we need to do to win has been beaten to death, so I'll keep it short.

Offensive line does enough to win, offense only turns the ball over once, defense makes the game more out of reach than the score will indicate.

24-13 good guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall