Official Chief00 Gets To Run His Chops | The Boneyard

Official Chief00 Gets To Run His Chops

Reaction Score
Why Sanogo ever leaves his feet to contest a 3 point shot is beyond me.

Why coaches allow that behavior is also beyond me.
The coach puts him in that position and by his junior year it is clear he’s never going to be a guard defender. Sure he has good feet for a Big muscle guy - but that doesn’t mean he comfortable guarding PG’s.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
But it wasn't a foul. He went straight up and the Nova player jumped into him. Horrible call.
But it was even more horribler to put the refs in a position to make that call.
Close out, keep hand up and make the shooter shoot over you while feet stay on the ground.

No need to give refs a chance to show they suck.

Reaction Score
1) A particularly good former coach of ours would have benched a player forever (after publicly cussing him out) if he didn’t contest a three-point shot

2) the fact that he didn’t actually foul the shooter makes this a pretty dumb post

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sanogo had a brain fart in jumping but he should never had been out there in the first place
Either the Nova guy was cagy enough to draw the foul but from my point of view the ref blew it and they tried to make it up on the UConn offensive trip after the foul shots

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
But it wasn't a foul. He went straight up and the Nova player jumped into him. Horrible call.
1) A particularly good former coach of ours would have benched a player forever (after publicly cussing him out) if he didn’t contest a three-point shot

2) the fact that he didn’t actually foul the shooter makes this a pretty dumb post
Bad decision to jump, equally bad phantom foul call

@Palatine , @Excalibur and @REB1094 , hopefully you will at least acknowledge Sanogo's fourth foul at about the 2 minute mark was for the exact same thing. He fell for the head fake behind the 3-point line and got called for it.

One was absolutely legit call for falling for the head fake and the second was specious but he still gave the ref the chance to make the call and both of them were poor fundamentals jumping and going for a block on a 3 point shot.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I'm no coach but I thought having Adomo Sunoco (Jeez Raf) guard Dixon out to the 3pt line was a mistake - he only takes ~4 per game, let him have those attempts if it keeps the rim protected. It seemed like later in the game there was more switching off and Adama was being asked to guard him less out there with improved defensive results. We were getting burned having him defend so far out against Dixon.

Re: this specific one? Bad contest and lame foul - but the way those are called if a defender is in the air it's a free foul for the offensive player if they then jump into them. It's an intentional drawn foul but c'est la vie.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm no coach but I thought having Adomo Sunoco (Jeez Raf) guard Dixon out to the 3pt line was a mistake - he only takes ~4 per game, let him have those attempts if it keeps the rim protected. It seemed like later in the game there was more switching off and Adama was being asked to guard him less out there with improved defensive results. We were getting burned having him defend so far out against Dixon.

Dixon is shooting 37% from 3 this year after hitting 48% last year -- you can't just let him take open 3s, he would have killed us all night if we did that.

I was at the game so didn't get to see a replay of the Sanogo foul on the 3, but it certainly didn't look like one live. I would like to see a replay though to see if Adama gave the shooter enough room to land.

Reaction Score
The coach puts him in that position and by his junior year it is clear he’s never going to be a guard defender. Sure he has good feet for a Big muscle guy - but that doesn’t mean he comfortable guarding PG’s.

Except he wasn’t guarding a PG!

Nova went small with Slater at the 5, spread us out and made Adama defend on the perimeter.

He had to be out there to contest a 3 from Slater (a guy who has shot very well against us in the past). As Chin said he just shouldn’t be leaving his feet.

Reaction Score

Re: this specific one? Bad contest and lame foul - but the way those are called if a defender is in the air it's a free foul for the offensive player if they then jump into them. It's an intentional drawn foul but c'est la vie.

Dixon is an excellent 3 point shooter. You've gotta guard him there.

This is Nova. There is no easy way to defend them.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
He's a good % shooter but he only shoots about 4 a game, I think you let another defender switch onto him on the perimeter - which is what they did later in the second half. Not saying don't defend him, that would be nuts. Just have it be a switch when Dixon is on the perimeter. Or look at it this way - is Sanogo an effective 3PT defender or would having him cutoff the interior be better?

Our team is one of the best at defending 3s, teams like Nova don't scare me this season like they did before because of this but Sanogo isn't (directly) a big part of that. What scares me is pushing our bigs outside the paint and then owning us on the inside and rebounding.

Reaction Score
Dixon was 1-5 from three. 6-14 overall. He had to work for his points.

Reaction Score
He's a good % shooter but he only shoots about 4 a game, I think you let another defender switch onto him on the perimeter - which is what they did later in the second half. Not saying don't defend him, that would be nuts. Just have it be a switch when Dixon is on the perimeter. Or look at it this way - is Sanogo an effective 3PT defender or would having him cutoff the interior be better?

Our team is one of the best at defending 3s, teams like Nova don't scare me this season like they did before because of this but Sanogo isn't (directly) a big part of that. What scares me is pushing our bigs outside the paint and then owning us on the inside and rebounding.

Dixon was 1/5 from 3. We defended him on the perimeter fine. The 5/9 on 2s is what killed us. That was getting outplayed on 1v1 post defense. We could have chosen to double, but prioritized defending the 3 instead. It worked.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

If he switched off of Dixon, Nova would just get the ball to whomever Sanogo switched to and have him take Adama out on the 3 point line.

Reaction Score

Switch a smaller defender on him and they’ll isolate him in the post, and Sanogo is still guarding a perimeter player. Pick your poison.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom