OT: Official Boneyard Super Bowl Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Official Boneyard Super Bowl Thread

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
This Patriot team was very limited. The Chargers and Chiefs were brainless not to see that. I'm not crediting either Wade Phillips or even Belichick too much for what we saw happen yesterday, because the reality was obvious, and even though everyone is saying it today ("No one expected this") a lot of people did.

The Patriots had Julian Edelman to throw to and not much else. The Chargers and Chiefs were brainless. Wade Phillips knew the obvious, how to limit Brady and the one weapon they had.

As for Belichick, Goff's rating this year against the zone was 50.1%. He was abysmally bad. Several NFC coaches knew this, and went heavy zone, and the Rams O sputtered. No way that info was lost on Belichick as he's incredibly smart.

But both Belichick and Phillips just did the obvious. The Patriots were limited offensively. The Rams were totally inept against the zone. In that light, the result is not surprising. What was surprising is the playoff games that preceded all this.
'not much else?' uh, michel, 18 rushes, 94 yards.
Tom Brady, New England Patriots veterans take pride in Sony Michel’s Super Bowl success

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Were there even any Rams fans there, do they even have any fans.

No and no. Reports were over 75% Pats fan. If you are a Whaler's fan would everyone embrace them if they came back from Carolina? LA is a fair weather sports town, always has been. And the Rams left them....for St. Louis. That's just embarrassing.

I wish we could shuffle teams correctly. Send the Cardinals back to St. Louis. Send the Chargers to Phoenix. Send Tennessee back to Houston where they can be the Oilers again, and send Houston to Tennessee. Colts belong in Baltimore and the Ravens were the Browns and should be again, in Cleveland. The new Browns are an expansion team for Indy...call them the Racers.

Reaction Score
No and no. Reports were over 75% Pats fan. If you are a Whaler's fan would everyone embrace them if they came back from Carolina? LA is a fair weather sports town, always has been. And the Rams left them....for St. Louis. That's just embarrassing.

I wish we could shuffle teams correctly. Send the Cardinals back to St. Louis. Send the Chargers to Phoenix. Send Tennessee back to Houston where they can be the Oilers again, and send Houston to Tennessee. Colts belong in Baltimore and the Ravens were the Browns and should be again, in Cleveland. The new Browns are an expansion team for Indy...call them the Racers.

I don't know that you'd need to move any players but yes certainly change the laundry.

Make Houston the Oilers again, send the Chargers unis to Phoenix, send the Chargers players to St. Louis as the Cardinals, then give the Colts unis back to Baltimore, and then send the Jaguars to Indy. Tennessee can stay the same.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't know that you'd need to move any players but yes certainly change the laundry.

Make Houston the Oilers again, send the Chargers unis to Phoenix, send the Chargers players to St. Louis as the Cardinals, then give the Colts unis back to Baltimore, and then send the Jaguars to Indy. Tennessee can stay the same.

I mentioned it the way I did because the history of the Oilers belongs to the Titans. The Baltimore Colts history is with the Indy franchise. The old St. Louis Cardinals history belongs to Phoenix. Only the Browns negotiated something different as far as I know.

Send uniforms and history and leave the players. That works.

Reaction Score
After some time to reflect. What a terrible game. It really makes the nonsense around the Super Bowl unbearable when the game stinks.
Imagine:

Flying to Atlanta $1600+
Hotel 3 nights ($200+ per) $600
Expenses/Free spending $2000
Airport trans, local trans, parking, etc.. $400
Super Bowl Tix $5000
Stadium Concession $100
Halftime show (unfortunately no refunds allowed)

Basically spending around $10,000 (or $15, 000 with spouse) to watch a 10-3 game (3-0 at half) that was boring as hell on TV, can't imagine in real time with money spent. We can complain sure, but we have nothing on those who purchased tix and traveled to Atlanta. Even worse if they lost money last night.

Reaction Score
Imagine:

Flying to Atlanta $1600+
Super Bowl Tix $5000
Stadium Concession $100

Basically spending around $10,000 (or $15, 000 with spouse) to watch a 10-3 game (3-0 at half) that was boring as hell on TV, can't imagine in real time with money spent. We can complain sure, but we have nothing on those who purchased tix and traveled to Atlanta. Even worse if they lost money last night.

I'd never spend that kind of money on a sporting event, but I would have loved to have gone to this Super Bowl.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not related, but assuming Gronk retires (and it sure does sound like he will), going to be very interesting to see this Pats team in 2019. Gronk did a ton to keep Brady upright this year.

Absolutely, correct. He was not himself this year receiving, largely because his body is destroyed, but he was a monster blocking.

They badly need a massive upgrade in receiving core, and maybe a (semi) replacement for Gronk*. They had 26 receiver transactions this year, which is crazy. Most in Pats history. The only consistent guy is Edelman.

*if I had to bet, I'd say retire too. He's taken so much punishment in his career.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

So about this narrative on the board...

The narrative should be: he had a bad game, but came up big when it mattered. Nobodies perfect, but I'd rather have that than the other way around (Drew Brees 2 weeks ago; and I love Brees).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I agree with all but the Butler game. Thought even as a UConn fan it was an awful game not even pretty in any respect but ultimately the NC. Butler was like Goff and never really in it later on and we were worst than the Pats but lucky to get away with one. Didn't enjoy it much at all except the final score, call me spoiled if you wish lol.

I'd rather be spoiled than not...cause you're likely losing if so.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The Patriots had Julian Edelman to throw to and not much else. The Chargers and Chiefs were brainless. Wade Phillips knew the obvious, how to limit Brady and the one weapon they had.

Even Romo was saying they should bracket Edelman all game. And he's right. Mind boggling that this wasn't attempted.

Let Dorsett, Hogan, and ? try and beat you.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They were ok, not very good. For the most part would've been beaten by every other team they faced in the tourney and fairly easily. But this night it was Butler who was in that same bad zone of basketball thank God.

I do remember UCONN's D being pretty damn good all game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Imagine:

Flying to Atlanta $1600+
Super Bowl Tix $5000
Stadium Concession $100

Hotels had to be more than that. I imagine everyone jacked their prices.

Reaction Score
Hotels had to be more than that. I imagine everyone jacked their prices.

Yeah I'm sure, my cheap arse is not good at high pricing. That price is high for me, and I would be staying way off site.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Even Romo was saying they should bracket Edelman all game. And he's right. Mind boggling that this wasn't attempted.

Cordarelle Patterson.

He was their "gadget guy" all season. And it just occurred to me...they didn't do a single gadget play last night.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Cordarelle Patterson.

He was their "gadget guy" all season. And it just occurred to me...they didn't do a single gadget play last night.

Yes, but I don't like him running routes and receiving. He wasn't exactly successful at that this year.

They did run him on one end around last night iirc.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

like the 70s, 80s and 90s when "you" stunk every year?

Once the 2 goats leave, they'll be another average team like the rest of us.

They held them to 13 points, and even those were difficult to attain.

I'd say the defense did pretty well.

You can't take away everything they do.

Reaction Score
like the 70s, 80s and 90s when "you" stunk every year?

"Once the 2 goats leave"

Seriously, I've been hearing a version of this since 2007.

Wade Phillips did great. Our point is that the Patriots do not actually have a stellar offense that is very difficult to stop.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Yes and no. EOD, they held them to 13 points, but Edelman was targeted so often on 3rd down, they could have gotten off the field much much quicker than they were. It totally changed field position, and made the Rams D tired enough to be exploited right at the end.

If they bracketed Edelman, I think there's a good chance they win. He's really the Pats only real receiver.

Reaction Score

He dropped the only pass he was thrown.

I was talking about the passing game.

When Brady goes back to pass, he is looking at Edelman, Dorsett, Gronk, Hogan, James White, Burkhead. Those 6.

The Rams took away White. They jammed him at the line, and that is key for Brady's timing. Edelman and Hogan are non-entities out there. So that left Brady with Edelman and a hobbled Gronk.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Having both the Sox and Pats as champs is almost as good as having the UConn MBB and WBB teams as champs.

Reaction Score
Until this year Brady was by far the best QB in the league when blitzed. I think almost all QBs are ordinary if they feel rushed, Brady as well. Not sure who stands in against the rush. No one probably.
The problem is brady is rarely pressured. You need to go find DL studs to get to him if you want to beat him. Especially if
you are facing him 2-3 times a year

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The problem is brady is rarely pressured. You need to go find DL studs to get to him if you want to beat him. Especially if
you are facing him 2-3 times a year

Aaron Donald is the best player in football and he hurried Brady once or twice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom