Offhand Remark(?) About Evina's Choice Of CT | The Boneyard

Offhand Remark(?) About Evina's Choice Of CT

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Shekinna Stricklen, a 2012 Tennessee graduate, bleeds orange. She played for late Hall of Fame coach Pat Summitt’s last four Lady Vols team.

So the Sun guard was well aware that Evina Westbrook, who spent two seasons at Tennessee, announced Friday that she would transfer to UConn and the Huskies would seek a waiver for immediate eligibility.

“I never thought I’d see that,” Stricklen said with a smile. “But you never know what will happen. Tennessee and Connecticut play against each other next year. Maybe she wanted to play against Tennessee.”

She's Nursing the Canadian game

Couldn't be any other reason to go with UConn. Surely an offhand try at humor. Might want to stick with basketball.

Reaction Score
Here's the rest of what Shekinnah Stricklen was quoted as saying in the article you referenced:

"Evina has to do what’s best for her,” Stricklen said. “I know that Tennessee and Connecticut have had a rivalry, but it’s still her decision. The rivalry thing was years ago. I didn’t play (UConn). It’s a different time. The bottom line is she has to do what is best for her.”

Reaction Score
Maybe now that it's been proven that a player can switch sides without turning into a pillar of salt, fans can keep it at the level of a serious rivalry instead of turning it into Armageddon. ;)

Reaction Score
Maybe now that it's been proven that a player can switch sides without turning into a pillar of salt, fans can keep it at the level of a serious rivalry instead of turning it into Armageddon. ;)
Hahahahahahaha - good one!!!

Reaction Score
Actually, it was Shekinnah Stricklen who said: "The rivalry thing was years ago...It's a different time". It was not I. That statement was part of her quote in the article referenced by the OP. Just want to set the record straight. :)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Actually, it was Shekinnah Stricklen who said: "The rivalry thing was years ago...It's a different time". It was not I. That statement was part of her quote in the article referenced by the OP. Just want to set the record straight. :)
Yes the way I quoted your text could have been misleading and I apologize. I've revised my post to make that more clear.

Reaction Score
Rivalry? When did they play last? 2007? So, current players were around 6-9 years old?

Yeah, the players know the history, but the whole rivalry hype is in the media and some fans heads.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If UT wins this game it will be the program's biggest win since PHS retired.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I may have been less than clear in starting this thread. Did not mean anything mean toward Strickland, but was trying to say if people want this thing to revive in a healthy way they should let it grow organically and not poke at it.

My personal view is summed up here:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I may have been less than clear in starting this thread. Did not mean anything mean toward Strickland, but was trying to say if people want this thing to revive in a healthy way they should let it grow organically and not poke at it.

The pot is already being stirred by both fanbases. Westbrook's defection adds to it. The media will have a field day hyping the game. By tipoff, it will be a boiling cauldron.

Reaction Score

Whether the Vols/UConn rivalry rekindles has little interest for most I have discussed this with. A game, any game Uconn plays will draw our interest but the big deal of beating the top team (Pat Summitts team) died with her as we have seen. Holly with all of pats players (initially) did--diddley do and with top level talent nada (not the auto parts company).
The best rivalry now is UConn and ND or Uconn and Ms st and it is cold fish compared to the old Pat and Geno daze. George C was FUNNY and true.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One other comment about next year’s game with the LV’s. HW had some talented, underachieving teams. Next year’s LV’s may be the least talented TN team in a long, long time. They lost 2 of their top 3 returning players in the transfer portal. They don’t really have a pg, unless you consider Horston, their talented freshman in that role. Davis is their best player, but she’s been inconsistent. They really don’t shoot the ball well as a team and they will be getting used to a new coach and new system. KJH is beating the bushes for more players, but so far she’s only been able to land a 6’2” JUCO transfer who may or may not be able to contribute.

I for one used to relish the battles between the Huskies and LV’s. I’m afraid that the game in January will look very much like another mid-season game vs an overmatched AAC foe.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I’m afraid that the game in January will look very much like another mid-season game vs an overmatched AAC foe.

Gee, that sounds awful!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom