Offensive Line | The Boneyard

Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How does it get fixed? I know it doesn't happen overnight, but, even with coaching changes over the past 5 years, isn't some of the play at the position instinctive? Can't one unit be cohesive enough to "get it"? after pretty much being together for a few years?

What is it?

Reaction Score
It would look better with competent QB play. The QB play has for years been so far below the other units, it's impossible to tell anything about the offense.

The O-line has been much better pass blocking this year and the QB play has regressed.

Reaction Score
How does it get fixed? I know it doesn't happen overnight, but, even with coaching changes over the past 5 years, isn't some of the play at the position instinctive? Can't one unit be cohesive enough to "get it"? after pretty much being together for a few years?

What is it?

Recruit better players. It's not that complicated.

Reaction Score
Recruit better players. It's not that complicated.

Best post thus far in the 2016 season. UConn has been severely incapacitated with CR. They aren't recruiting P5 players and, clearly are not recruiting the best AAC players. Can't get this done with FCS players.

Reaction Score
I think Peart will eventually be a solid player. Right now way to many mental and technique mistakes. But it is obvious he is the teams best OLineman. I have been happy with Croziers play at center as well. Think he will get even better another year removed from injury. After those two? Ooooooof. We have the worst right side of the line in the nation, there is no doubt. And Richard Levy has been a disaster.

Reaction Score
The thing that really concerns me is no backups are ever promoted with the lackluster play of the starters which for some has been 3 years worth. Really have to hope Leone and DeGeorge are answers but they will be like Peart so will have growing pains. This group needs a new coach, how can the last 3 years not be a firable offense.

Reaction Score
I think Peart will eventually be a solid player. Right now way to many mental and technique mistakes. But it is obvious he is the teams best OLineman. I have been happy with Croziers play at center as well. Think he will get even better another year removed from injury. After those two? Ooooooof. We have the worst right side of the line in the nation, there is no doubt. And Richard Levy has been a disaster.

Hopkins was starting to come into his own@ LG and receiving decent grades from those who do that for a living and then was injured for the second time this year...

Reaction Score

I don't profess that my knowledge of football is anything but amateurish, but I was curious as to what was going on onthat side of the line, so watched thru binoculars. I have posted that Levy thinks that football is a non contact sport. He would be better suited to square dancing. Grab your partner Dozzy doe.

Reaction Score

What is it?
Diaco mainly recruited SIZE to fit his type of power run game football that he obviously strongly advocates. Unfortunately, our recruits, although big enough, cannot match-up speed wise and athleticism-wise when faced with the type of football our competition is playing. We've got to give some thought toward trying to attract a different type of talented football recruit. Easier said, than done!

Reaction Score
Diaco's hire of his buddy Mike Cummings has been a unmitigated disaster and a good example of why he is where he is right now with his coaching career. He brought him in as OC/TE coach after he was OC in name only at his last stop. That was a complete failure as we all know. Then he moves him to OL and jettison's Mike Foley. Next comes Verducci...who ends up coaching TE's and OT's. Now Cummings goes from coaching a group to just 3 spots. The line gets worse. Diaco has made this bed...now he has to lie in it. It will be interesting to see what he does IF he stays after this whole disaster!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Diaco mainly recruited SIZE to fit his type of power run game football that he obviously strongly advocates. Unfortunately, our recruits, although big enough, cannot match-up speed wise and athleticism-wise when faced with the type of football our competition is playing. We've got to give some thought toward trying to attract a different type of talented football recruit. Easier said, than done!

JUCO... Hopefully we are doing this week... And not waiting to get the stragglers after all the named ones go to schools already stockpiled with OL talent...

We have no choice... I know folks here don't like that route, but if we don't, at least we'll look the part, right? Just remember it doesn't translate to the football field anytime soon.

Reaction Score
There is a lot of OL in this program that played very little football before coming here.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Someone made a very apt (and hilarious) analogy of our O-line size/speed after the Maine (MAINE?!??) dline manhandled them.

It was like brontosauruses trying to block velociraptors.

Huge is fine but you need to move.

Reaction Score
Our line play has been just horrible since George DeLeone took over under Pasaualoni. I still think it is largely a mismatch between the type of guys we have and the systems both P and Bobster want to run. We have big powerful guys yet we try to use a scheme that works best with smaller quicker ones. You might get away with that at Notre Danme where you get big and quick but most places get one or the other. We need to fit the scheme to the players or change the type of player to fit the scheme. Right now we are in sort of no mans land.

Reaction Score
Both the O-line and D-line are getting pushed around, not pushing people around.

Reaction Score
The other factor in zone schemes at least in running attacks is you need backs who can both read the blocking and cut quickly. Interesting question whether our backs can do both well. My sense is Johnson does not. New some can make the cuts but not sure he reads all that well.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What is Coach Foley up to these days?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
OL Coach at UMass
UMass Athletics -

Scores & Schedule

Sat, Sep 3
@
Florida
L 7 - 24
Final

Sat, Sep 10
vs
Boston College
L 26 - 7
Final

Sat, Sep 17
vs
FIU
W 13 - 21
Final

Sat, Sep 24
vs
Mississippi State
L 47 - 35
Final

Sat, Oct 1
vs
Tulane
L 31 - 24
Final

Fri, Oct 7
@
Old Dominion
L 16 - 36
Final

Sat, Oct 15
vs
Louisiana Tech
L 56 - 28
Final

Sat, Oct 22
@
South Carolina
L 28 - 34
Final

Sat, Oct 29
vs
Wagner
W 10 - 34
Final

Sat, Nov 5
@
Troy
L 31 - 52
Final

Sat, Nov 19 @ BYU 2:00 PM

Sat, Nov 26
@
Hawaii
11:00 PM

I very highly doubt that our offense puts up 28 against South Carolina or 35 against Miss St. I doubt we'll put up 24 against Tulane at home too.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Diaco's hire of his buddy Mike Cummings has been a unmitigated disaster and a good example of why he is where he is right now with his coaching career. He brought him in as OC/TE coach after he was OC in name only at his last stop. That was a complete failure as we all know. Then he moves him to OL and jettison's Mike Foley. Next comes Verducci...who ends up coaching TE's and OT's. Now Cummings goes from coaching a group to just 3 spots. The line gets worse. Diaco has made this bed...now he has to lie in it. It will be interesting to see what he does IF he stays after this whole disaster!

I remember those little 30 second behind the scenes vids Diaco released during year 1. Cummings was in one or two of them sipping coffee and acting way too comfortable for someone that still had a lot to prove.

Reaction Score
Both the O-line and D-line are getting pushed around, not pushing people around.
Think more so getting run around than pushed around. See lot of wiffs on OL and DL standing there letting themselves be blocked or chasing a QB who can run backwards faster than they can run forwards. Lack of speed hurts even if you can scheme to try and hide it, it kills of your scheme ignores the lack of speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom