Offense Wasn't Really THAT Bad This Week | The Boneyard

Offense Wasn't Really THAT Bad This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I know we just had two games where we scored in the 60's when everyone on this board (including me) expected to see scoring in the 80's. So I guess that is a cause for some concern, but I think many here are over-reacting.

First of all, the offensive flow should be judged by how many really good shots are generated, not by how many are made. The Penn State game in particular (and especially in the second half) was characterized by a blizzard of missed UConn layups. They weren't all easy layups, but some were. Still, we have to recognize that the offense worked well enough to produce those layup opportunities, and if the majority of them had been made, the scoring would probably have been in the low 80's.

Also, while I don't think the refereeing in either game gave a net advantage to either team, I do think that the refs in both games were calling a lot more offensive fouls in charge/block situations than had occurred in previous years. In the Maryland game, the play on which KML was injured was one where a defender coming in from her right at a 90-degree angle planted a knee in her groin (or so it appeared on TV), and KML was called for traveling. In past years, and by the rulebook, that would always be a blocking foul. And there were a couple of plays in both games where charges were called even though the defender appeared to be clearly inside the arc. Don't get me wrong -- there were questionable charges called against Maryland and Penn State also, but I don't think the offensive execution can be blamed if a offensive play ends in a charge that in past years would have been a block and some free throws, or maybe an and-1. There were 3 or 4 of those against Penn State. After all, one of the aims of the offense is to penetrate and go to the line, and that would have been expected on those plays.

Yet another factor is that Bria is still in her pre-season. I thought she was much better against Penn State than against Maryland, but still not the Bria of old. If she makes a normal percentage of her shots and has a couple fewer turnovers, that is 5 or 6 more points in the final score. That should take care of itself in the near future.

I do acknowledge that the number of turnovers against Penn State was excessive and hard to account for. Perhaps the players were trying to implement the new ball-movement stuff that they had been practicing during the week, and were not on the same page. So in those cases poor offensive execution is a valid complaint. But let's not overdraw the picture.

Reaction Score
It was plenty bad. If getting good easy shots and missing was ok, Gail G. would still be coach at Texas. Hartley and Doty can't dribble, your two point guards put no pressure on penetration of the lane, only the 3rd string MJ can speed up play. With the current starting lineup the team has no fast break and no dribble penetration.

PSU gave up 73 points to Cal State Northridge; when was last time the Matadors hung up 10% more on an opponent than Uconn? You realize that KML had 25 points, she sits out and who picks up that?

Stewart had just 3 shots, how is that good offense. The 4 inside girls (Dolson, Stewart, Kiah and Morgan) had only 13 of the 56 shots and 1 of those was a 3 (and they played lot of minutes between them)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom
Top Bottom