Off Topic: May is National Hamburger Month | The Boneyard

Off Topic: May is National Hamburger Month

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I realize its almost halfway through the month, and I hesitated to make this thread (didn't want to give the impression that I really like to eat) ... but

may-national-hamburger-month-landshark.jpg

Go out and celebrate... since May is almost halfway over.. you gotta make up and double up... at least 2 hamburgers a week until May 31. :D

Reaction Score
I realize its almost halfway through the month, and I hesitated to make this thread (didn't want to give the impression that I really like to eat) ... but

View attachment 76335

Go out and celebrate... since May is almost halfway over.. you gotta make up and double up... at least 2 hamburgers a week until May 31. :D
We're all gonna need expanded seats when we return to our arenas to watch our teams this season with all the food threads we have going. LOL.

Reaction Score
AWESOME! I now have the perfect excuse to try this bad boy out! Don't think it's available in the US, so I may have to ship it to you @triaddukefan

1652362420136.png

World-renowned Canadian chef, cookbook author, and YouTube star Matty Matheson has joined
forces with A&W Canada for an epic burger collaboration.

The new, limited-time burger brings together the two Canadian food icons known for their
commitment and passion for serving up great-tasting burgers from simple, top-quality
ingredients. The “Best-Burger-Ever” Burger, created by Matheson, features a 4oz grass-fed,
prime rib patty, real cheddar cheese, fried pickles, grilled onions, and garlic aioli on a buttery
brioche bun.

Reaction Score
AWESOME! I now have the perfect excuse to try this bad boy out! Don't think it's available in the US, so I may have to ship it to you @triaddukefan

View attachment 76346

World-renowned Canadian chef, cookbook author, and YouTube star Matty Matheson has joined
forces with A&W Canada for an epic burger collaboration.

The new, limited-time burger brings together the two Canadian food icons known for their
commitment and passion for serving up great-tasting burgers from simple, top-quality
ingredients. The “Best-Burger-Ever” Burger, created by Matheson, features a 4oz grass-fed,
prime rib patty, real cheddar cheese, fried pickles, grilled onions, and garlic aioli on a buttery
brioche bun.
This sounds great. May have to make one at home. Canada not on my agenda this summer though sometime in August I will undoubtedly fondly remember my last up North.

Reaction Score

View attachment 76335

@triaddukefan I'll be up in Greensboro the 21st for a concert at Piedmont Hall. Where is a great place to grab a burger up in that area?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

A question and a few comments. Are these A&W folk the same people who make the root beer?
Its national burger month in the United States. Not sure if Canada is sharing the festivities or not. So you might want to check to see before you devour a few burgers. :D

If you are shipping a burger here to NC... would you mind including a right rotator cuff and a right elbow as well?

@triaddukefan I'll be up in Greensboro the 21st for a concert at Piedmont Hall. Where is a great place to grab a burger up in that area?

There are a couple of burger places within a 5 minute drive from the Coliseum Complex. The Original Hops is located in the Lindley Park Neighborhood. They won the award from tripadvisor for best burgers in the Nation back in 2015. If its too crowded or if there is a wait, right across the street is a place called Bites and Pints... they have burgers as well.

Hops Burger Bar

Emma Keys is another good place. They are also located in the Lindley Park neighborhood and they don't have a dedicated parking lot, so you would have to park on the street.

Emma Keys

Reaction Score
A question and a few comments. Are these A&W folk the same people who make the root beer?
Its national burger month in the United States. Not sure if Canada is sharing the festivities or not. So you might want to check to see before you devour a few burgers. :D

If you are shipping a burger here to NC... would you mind including a right rotator cuff and a right elbow as well?

There are a couple of burger places within a 5 minute drive from the Coliseum Complex. The Original Hops is located in the Lindley Park Neighborhood. They won the award from tripadvisor for best burgers in the Nation back in 2015. If its too crowded or if there is a wait, right across the street is a place called Bites and Pints... they have burgers as well.

Hops Burger Bar

Emma Keys is another good place. They are also located in the Lindley Park neighborhood and they don't have a dedicated parking lot, so you would have to park on the street.

Emma Keys
Thanks! This is great!

Reaction Score

Yes, it is the same company. I prefer their cream soda personally but you can't go wrong with their root beer.

Not too concerned as to whether this is a Canadian or American thing. I have an excuse to justify enjoying this more than I initially planned.

I may be able to provide an elbow, but you wouldn't want my right rotator cuff. It's a tad wonky due to a shoulder dislocation years ago. Most days, it's fine............then I move the wrong way by one inch and....ugh.:oops:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thanks! This is great!

If you do decide on Hop's... this is the burger of the week.

From the Hop's Facebook Page:

This week’s featured burger is the Chipotle Steak Fajita Burger. Our burger topped with chipotle marinated steak, grilled poblano peppers and onions, Monterey cheese, guacamole, sour cream and a smoky fajita sauce on a toasted brioche bun. Served with a side of queso dip and tortilla chips. Paired with Mariachi Static from Town Brewing Company.

281771926_5843031255713010_5842991124562300746_n.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes, it is the same company. I prefer their cream soda personally but you can't go wrong with their root beer.

Not too concerned as to whether this is a Canadian or American thing. I have an excuse to justify enjoying this more than I initially planned.

I may be able to provide an elbow, but you wouldn't want my right rotator cuff. It's a tad wonky due to a shoulder dislocation years ago. Most days, it's fine............then I move the wrong way by one inch and....ugh.:oops:

About the burger you posted...... I would have added Mayo and Tomato to it... gotta have my mayo... and tomato is a vegetable so I need that as well.

Concerning Cream Soda.. I've never had one before. As a kid, my piano teacher used to have lolipops available... and I used to pick out the Cream Soda lolipops and enjoy them. I may have to look for some soda my next time in the grocery store.... maybe they have A&W available. If I try it, and I don't like it, expect to hear from me.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Henry Weinhard's makes a decent cream soda. Or maybe it's vanilla cream.

Reaction Score
If you do decide on Hop's... this is the burger of the week.

From the Hop's Facebook Page:

This week’s featured burger is the Chipotle Steak Fajita Burger. Our burger topped with chipotle marinated steak, grilled poblano peppers and onions, Monterey cheese, guacamole, sour cream and a smoky fajita sauce on a toasted brioche bun. Served with a side of queso dip and tortilla chips. Paired with Mariachi Static from Town Brewing Company.

View attachment 76433
Looks awesome! My son loves a good burger also. Looking forward to it!

Reaction Score
With the price of hamburger right now, I’m surprised anyone can afford it.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There are so many burger places offering their take. I've posted before that I really like a local joint called Divine Bovine. High quality meat, some really good toppings - and they do their take on tater tots (a bit too cheesy for me) and delicious Brussel Sprouts.

Five Guys is more local and faster - and I like the toppings and Fries - but lately have also gotten their grilled cheese and hot dog options.

We have The Habit, which I associate with California, it was next to the hotel we stayed at for my wife's classes in Santa Cruz. Not shabby, but we only went once here in Tucson, at least we do like it. The others, including Smashburger, Monkeyburger and others we largely tried at most once if at all, and didn't think any were special. Don't do In N Out, either, and refuse to try a "Butterburger" at Culvers, although they have some decent ice cream. If I'm doing a "restaurant", I'll get something other than a burger.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@Urshurak Did you get your burger on Saturday?

There are so many burger places offering their take. I've posted before that I really like a local joint called Divine Bovine. High quality meat, some really good toppings - and they do their take on tater tots (a bit too cheesy for me) and delicious Brussel Sprouts.

Five Guys is more local and faster - and I like the toppings and Fries - but lately have also gotten their grilled cheese and hot dog options.

We have The Habit, which I associate with California, it was next to the hotel we stayed at for my wife's classes in Santa Cruz. Not shabby, but we only went once here in Tucson, at least we do like it. The others, including Smashburger, Monkeyburger and others we largely tried at most once if at all, and didn't think any were special. Don't do In N Out, either, and refuse to try a "Butterburger" at Culvers, although they have some decent ice cream. If I'm doing a "restaurant", I'll get something other than a burger.

I just checked my google timeline, seems like I haven't been to Five Guys since Jan 26, 2021. I guess I'm overdue ... my biggest problem with them is that the hot dogs cost like 6-7 dollars... that's a bit steep for a dog. But.. it's probably good.

I assume The Habit is the same thing as The Habit Grill? They opened one up about 40 minutes to the West of Me. I have been meaning to check them out. You might think 45 miles is a long way to drive to get a burger... but I once seriously thought about driving to Knoxville TN for a burger many years ago. :eek::eek::eek::eek: A five hour drive

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
general observations:
grass fed beef blows. always has.
burgers on a donut? gross. adding mayo to that mess? unthinkable.

in conclusion - there can be only one!
mickey_d_s.jpg

McDonald’s To Exit from Russia

how it's done, respect! micky d's representing our values!
two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun...
no freakin glazed donut, no freakin weird sauces, no freakin weird additions, no freakin mortgage necessary, ...
2 mcdoubles, large cup o'water, 5 fiddy - everyday.

Reaction Score
general observations:
grass fed beef blows. always has.
burgers on a donut? gross. adding mayo to that mess? unthinkable.

in conclusion - there can be only one!
mickey_d_s.jpg

McDonald’s To Exit from Russia

two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun...
no freakin glazed donut, no freakin weird sauces, no freakin weird additions, no freakin mortgage necessary, ...

1) Technically all beef is grass fed to an extent. Only difference is that McDonald's suppliers supplement with grains (which can also be considered a form of grass) and vitamins.

2) I guess you're going to pass on trying Arby's newest addition to the menu too? Arby's Is Putting a Hamburger on the Menu for the First Time Ever

Reaction Score

I just checked my google timeline, seems like I haven't been to Five Guys since Jan 26, 2021. I guess I'm overdue ... my biggest problem with them is that the hot dogs cost like 6-7 dollars... that's a bit steep for a dog. But.. it's probably good.

I assume The Habit is the same thing as The Habit Grill? They opened one up about 40 minutes to the West of Me. I have been meaning to check them out. You might think 45 miles is a long way to drive to get a burger... but I once seriously thought about driving to Knoxville TN for a burger many years ago. :eek::eek::eek::eek: A five hour drive
Unfortunately we were running late so didn’t get it. I was bummed!!!! We will be heading back up shortly. It will be on our agenda. That’s again for the recommendation!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Yes, The Habit Burger Grill is their official name. It is almost certainly not worth the drive. I thought it was tasty, especially as an option for eating in the hotel when we were in Santa Cruz, but the proof is that we haven't been back after introducing a family member to it when it opened in Tucson. But we would eat there, as opposed to the many places we have no plans to visit again.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

You can do what I do sometimes.. they have that buy one get one for a Dollar menu. I just get two mcdoubles.. tell them no ketchup no mustard.. add big mac sauce and lettuce. You essentially get two big macs for less money than if you would get a regular big mac. You do get one extra piece of bread, but what are a few extra carbs... thats just a few more minutes on the treadmill. I had the idea of asking for a big mac using the quarter pounder patty, but not sure if the Mac Buns can handle the extra weight.

@cancontent I tried the Arby's burger tonight with a small curly fries. The burger meets my approval for a fast food chain. I tried it with the burger sauce.. imma try it next time without the sauce but add mayo. The sauce they use has a bit of a sweetness to it, other than Mac Sauce, I rather not have a sweet condiment on a burger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom