Off topic ...but NCAA has been out to get Uconn all along. | The Boneyard

Off topic ...but NCAA has been out to get Uconn all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not BC fans, just haters of Jim Calhoun (and Geno for all I know).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd rather this just go away. There is no good that can accrue to UConn by rehashing it.

Reaction Score
I'd rather this just go away. There is no good that can accrue to UConn by rehashing it.
Exactly....this crap started before the 2009 NCAA tourney. I don't care if Miles was an NCAA plant just to set-up Calhoun and bring him down. People will read about this and think it's a new UConn scandal.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I don't know... I wouldn't mind the NCAA getting fined and the presidents finally having enough of Emmert.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Agree. UConn isn't bringing this up. It's Dodd trying to create a story about NCAA given the Miami scandal. I hope UConn has no comment on this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know... I wouldn't mind the NCAA getting fined and the presidents finally having enough of Emmert.
Yeah, I hear you. but absent that...

Reaction Score
What is the NCAA getting fined for? I can ask your doctor for your health records. I can ask the CIA for its top secret files. There is no law against asking. The violation was by whoever provided the information without authoization, if indeed someone did. But I agree that it would be best if this just went away. I wish I had never heard the name Nate Miles. Trouble with a capital T.

Reaction Score
What is the NCAA getting fined for? I can ask your doctor for your health records. I can ask the CIA for its top secret files. There is no law against asking. The violation was by whoever provided the information without authoization, if indeed someone did. But I agree that it would be best if this just went away. I wish I had never heard the name Nate Miles. Trouble with a capital T.

Actually, I think it usually is a crime to try to get someone to commit a crime. But none of that has anything to do with whether UConn was guilty of the acts that caused it to be put on probation.

Reaction Score

Paying for that info and then using that info.

Did you just miss what happened in the Miami case?

Reaction Score
I don't think the NCAA did anything of the sort. They requested information and it was provided. Under HPPA I believe that it is not a crime for anyone to request information. Indeed it happens all the time. If it was somehow illegal to make the request, 95% of hospital vistors and 99 % of patients families would be doing time in Danbury. But if such a request is made, the responsibility is on the medical provider to either A. outright reject the request, or B. notify the subject that information is being requested and ask if he or she is ok with it being released. or C. inform the person making the request that he/she must provide authorization from the subject prior to releasing the information. Depending on the situation you might choose A, B or C. There are a limited number of exceptions, courts, police with subpenas, if the patient is in danger and unable to act in his/her own behalf and that sort of thing, but the NCAA isn't one of them. On the other hand, simply making a request for information hardly qualifies as "getting someone to commit a crime" under any rational interpretation. I do recognize that you are a lawyer, bl, so rational interpretations aren't necessarily your stock in trade. I also consider, given his history, that it is at least possible that Miles provided some general authorization for records that the NCAA and the provider relied on. They may have been incorrect in doing that, but it wouldn't have shocked me if they in fact did.

My understanding of the Miami situation was quite different. The NCAA and Shapiro used the same law firm, hence that firm had access to client information that it should not have under normal circumstances.

Reaction Score
I don't think the NCAA did anything of the sort. They requested information and it was provided. Under HPPA I believe that it is not a crime for anyone to request information. Indeed it happens all the time. If it was somehow illegal to make the request, 95% of hospital vistors and 99 % of patients families would be doing time in Danbury. But if such a request is made, the responsibility is on the medical provider to either A. outright reject the request, or B. notify the subject that information is being requested and ask if he or she is ok with it being released. or C. inform the person making the request that he/she must provide authorization from the subject prior to releasing the information. Depending on the situation you might choose A, B or C. There are a limited number of exceptions, courts, police with subpenas, if the patient is in danger and unable to act in his/her own behalf and that sort of thing, but the NCAA isn't one of them. On the other hand, simply making a request for information hardly qualifies as "getting someone to commit a crime" under any rational interpretation. I do recognize that you are a lawyer, bl, so rational interpretations aren't necessarily your stock in trade. I also consider, given his history, that it is at least possible that Miles provided some general authorization for records that the NCAA and the provider relied on. They may have been incorrect in doing that, but it wouldn't have shocked me if they in fact did.

My understanding of the Miami situation was quite different. The NCAA and Shapiro used the same law firm, hence that firm had access to client information that it should not have under normal circumstances.

The NCAA did nothing criminally wrong in the Miami case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom