Off Season Topic; Top Sports Movies. | The Boneyard

Off Season Topic; Top Sports Movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
These are my top five and my reasons for picking them. I can't imagine a top ten without them though are are surely many, many other candidates.

1. Slapshot. Just a great all around movie. The insanity of minor league and the iconic Hansen Brothers headline a deep cast of crazy characters. Entertaining from the opening frame until the end. Almost as many memorable lines as the Big Lebowski.

2. Bull Durham. Funny. Bitterseet. Touching. Eccentric but believable. Great performances. The love triangle of Crash, Nuke and Annie matches any in cinema. Another deep cast.

3. Field of Dreams. Not only a great movie but this thing is beautifully shot. The interplay of the real and surreal is done to perfection. This movie always has a surprise around the next corner and a ton of heart.

4. Rocky. Much more of a formula movie than the ones ahead of it on this list. But it uses the formula perfectly. The down and out fighter with one last chance, two wounded people healing each other, the climatic fight, all brought home by an amazing score and a song that has become sports legend.

5. Hoosiers. More formula but the story telling is beautiful, as clean and sparse as the Indiana scenery. A small and intimate portrait of small town Americana driven by the coach and team that defy the odds. It is never over reaches or overplays its hand. Its modesty touches every scene in the film.

Reaction Score
1413910793_4.png

My life story.

Reaction Score
These are my top five and my reasons for picking them. I can't imagine a top ten without them though are are surely many, many other candidates.

1. Slapshot. Just a great all around movie. The insanity of minor league and the iconic Hansen Brothers headline a deep cast of crazy characters. Entertaining from the opening frame until the end. Almost as many memorable lines as the Big Lebowski.

2. Bull Durham. Funny. Bitterseet. Touching. Eccentric but believable. Great performances. The love triangle of Crash, Nuke and Annie matches any in cinema. Another deep cast.

3. Field of Dreams. Not only a great movie but this thing is beautifully shot. The interplay of the real and surreal is done to perfection. This movie always has a surprise around the next corner and a ton of heart.

4. Rocky. Much more of a formula movie than the ones ahead of it on this list. But it uses the formula perfectly. The down and out fighter with one last chance, two wounded people healing each other, the climatic fight, all brought home by an amazing score and a song that has become sports legend.

5. Hoosiers. More formula but the story telling is beautiful, as clean and sparse as the Indiana scenery. A small and intimate portrait of small town Americana driven by the coach and team that defy the odds. It is never over reaches or overplays its hand. Its modesty touches every scene in the film.

Miracle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_(film)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Coach Carter (although watching it for the first time at the age of 8 was not the best of ideas).

Reaction Score
Friday Night Lights....not the stupid TV show, the movie. Sometimes in life you don't always win the big game and sometimes you get your knee wrecked, but life has to go on.

My heart is full

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Remember the Titans. Im not sure why, but this movie isnt mentioned with the greats like Hoosiers, Field of Dreams, etc. Denzel is one of the best and he does a great job in this film.

Reaction Score
The kid (and baseball player) in my loves The Benchwarmers and The Sandlot. None of the sequels; those were ass and gave the first one a bad name. Thank god those have faded into oblivion while Benny "the jet" Rodriguez and The Beast have lived on.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Hoosiers is probably my favorite.

"I'll make it."

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
One On One, Breaking Away, Caddyshack

Reaction Score
Major League, White Men Can't Jump, The Replacements, The Mighty Ducks, Rocky, Little Big League, The Sandlot, Blue Chips, Miracle, Cinderella Man

Reaction Score
Goon is one of my more recent favorite sports movies.

Reaction Score
Eight Men Out is an incredibly underrated sports movie... Slapshot has the to be at the top of all lists along with Rocky, Hoosiers, and Bull Durham.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The one reason I can never put Rocky or Bull Durham in my top 5 is because of the action. The fights in Rocky (except for the alley brawl in Rocky 5) are so incredibly poorly choreographed, I just can't overlook them. And Tim Robbins looks about as much like a pro pitcher as Anthony Perkins did a batter (Jimmy Piersall). Doesn't mean I don't like the stories, but give me actors who look like they can actually play the part.

The fight scenes in Grudge Match are better than Rocky. Costner (For Love of the Game) and Charlie Sheen (Major League) are believable pitchers.

Anyway, I'll go Bad News Bears, Slap Shot, Field of Dreams, Eight Men Out and Tin Cup as five I'll watch pretty much anytime they're on TV.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree about the boxing in Rocky, but I guess I'm not much of a boxing expert.

Reaction Score
Tim Robbins looks about as much like a pro pitcher as Anthony Perkins did a batter (Jimmy Piersall). Doesn't mean I don't like the stories, but give me actors who look like they can actually play the part.
Gotta agree with you about Anthony Perkins in "Fear Strikes Out". He threw like a girl. Side note: my Dad played on a pro-am team with Jimmy Piersall in Waterbury around the mid 40's. I've got the newspaper clippings to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom