OT: Off-season Bourbon Drinkers show yourselves

Lets get some conversation on bourbon - favorites. best scores, best bourbon bars, great low priced bourbon, etc.

You guys have to be out there.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Maker's Mark, and being 90 proof doesn't hurt

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
I'm a scotch guy, neat. I find bourbon too sweet for my preference. But I keep some around for cocktails. I've tried a bunch, but it never really took.

One of my habits when going to top whiskey bars is to ask the bartenders what they keep at home and, if they only had one bourbon (or rye, or other "mixing" whiskey) for utilitarian purposes what would that be.

The most common answer will probably make you hardcore bourbon fans blanch and perhaps gag: Evan Williams.

I am, however, developing a fondness for "American Single Malts". I really enjoyed a couple of Westlands recently at The Whiskey Bar in Seattle.

HuskyHawk

Hoping to see something that looks like basketball
Lets get some conversation on bourbon - favorites. best scores, best bourbon bars, great low priced bourbon, etc.

Finally a thread I can embrace! I've got over a dozen bottles open right now and another 20 or so 2 oz samples people have sent me. I'm partial to the Four Roses Private Selection barrel proof single barrel, Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch and Wild Turkey 101 (best value bourbon by a wide margin). I like many others as well, except the craft offerings like Hudson that are absolute garbage.

I like Scotch as well, and recently started embracing sipping rums. The rums are an amazing value, especially compared to Scotch.

TRest

Horrible
I usually slow down on the bourbon for gin in the warmer months, but have been lucky enough to find Weller Antique 107 here and there, so snatch it up. I haven't seen a bottle of Blanton's in months, have they run out of juice?

HuskyHawk

I usually slow down on the bourbon for gin in the warmer months, but have been lucky enough to find Weller Antique 107 here and there, so snatch it up. I haven't seen a bottle of Blanton's in months, have they run out of juice?
Blanton's is allocated, like Weller (and most things from Buffalo Trace/Sazerac) but there is tons of it here in MA. I do here that other folks can't find it. My BJ's has it for $43, which is a fantastic price. Weller Antique just dropped here last week it seems as it is back on shelves.

Not sure I understand the subject line. It's always bourbon season!

I like a lot of bourbons. I find the differences more nuanced than scotch. There are some single malts I love, and some I hate, whereas I've never hated a good bourbon. I started with Makers Mark but have moved away from it over the years. In my liquor cabinet right now I have Bulleit and Basil Hayden. I also enjoy Buffalo Trace.

I've also been trying some Ryes lately. Bulleit is solid. Just had a 100 proof Knob Creek. Gotta be careful with that one.

Blanton's is allocated, like Weller (and most things from Buffalo Trace/Sazerac) but there is tons of it here in MA. I do here that other folks can't find it. My BJ's has it for $43, which is a fantastic price. Weller Antique just dropped here last week it seems as it is back on shelves.
I just grabbed a Weller 12 yesterday - there's was two on the shelf took one simply because you can't clear out the shelf -bad karma.

Did get these yesterday

-2x ECBP - Current bottling and last bottling - this stuff is amazing at $50 and barrel proof - but I like Elijah Craig

-Angels Envy Rum Barre Finish Rye - this will be interesting as I don't like finished bourbon and the Angels Envy Port battle bourbon was the only bottle I've ever given away because how bad it was to me.

-Bulleit Barrel Strength - Not a huge fan of Bulleit so it will be interesting if the high proof juice helps me find out what the fuss is about.

-Stagg Jr - the first 3 or 4 releases were super inconsistent now they've got it nailed. I've got a few bottle of the BYAC Stagg and the Jr allows me to keep those unopened for now.

Bernheim - it's a wheater so how bad can it be - amazing that I've not picked up a bottle before now.

McKenna BIB - we'll see, didn't love it a 10 years ago but probably time to give it another try.

Calumet - I'm sure this will be nothing special and I'll be kicking myself for buying it.

Blantons being allocated is funny, it's not nearly as good as some of the unallocated stuff to my tastes anyway - do not take that to mean that it's bad, it's not. I just knocked off a Blantons bottle this weekend - I could have bought 6 bottles yesterday and didn't even buy one.

I, like you, may have 20 bottles open, maybe a few less. I've got about 150 different bottles downstairs, but I started drinking bourbon a long time before the current mess the bourbon market is in. I shake my heads at the the market now. I just won't get gouged in bottles of bourbon.

HuskyHawk

I just grabbed a Weller 12 yesterday - there's was two on the shelf took one simply because you can't clear out the shelf -bad karma.

Did get these yesterday

-2x ECBP - Current bottling and last bottling - this stuff is amazing at $50 and barrel proof - but I like Elijah Craig

-Angels Envy Rum Barre Finish Rye - this will be interesting as I don't like finished bourbon and the Angels Envy Port battle bourbon was the only bottle I've ever given away because how bad it was to me.

-Bulleit Barrel Strength - Not a huge fan of Bulleit so it will be interesting if the high proof juice helps me find out what the fuss is about.

-Stagg Jr - the first 3 or 4 releases were super inconsistent now they've got it nailed. I've got a few bottle of the BYAC Stagg and the Jr allows me to keep those unopened for now.

Bernheim - it's a wheater so how bad can it be - amazing that I've not picked up a bottle before now.

McKenna BIB - we'll see, didn't love it a 10 years ago but probably time to give it another try.

Calumet - I'm sure this will be nothing special and I'll be kicking myself for buying it.

Blantons being allocated is funny, it's not nearly as good as some of the unallocated stuff to my tastes anyway - do not take that to mean that it's bad, it's not. I just knocked off a Blantons bottle this weekend - I could have bought 6 bottles yesterday and didn't even buy one.

I, like you, may have 20 bottles open, maybe a few less. I've got about 150 different bottles downstairs, but I started drinking bourbon a long time before the current mess the bourbon market is in. I shake my heads at the the market now. I just won't get gouged in bottles of bourbon.
I really started drinking whiskey less than a year ago, and now have close to 30 bottles. I've been swapping beer for samples too, so trying tons of stuff. You landed some good ones. I keep missing the ECBP. Pisses me off. I won't pay secondary.

I agree on recent Stagg Jr. It's still too hot when opened, so I just open immediately and then drink it a few months later. Mine is awesome right now. I grabbed my first McKenna recently, but haven't opened it yet. Waiting to kill a couple of others first. I didn't much like the Angel's Envy I tried. Like you, I'm not a Bulleit fan, certainly not what we pay in MA (over $30). I talk to people across the country that pay under $20. I'm looking for Weller 12, not a fan of the Antique really.

I like Blanton's at my price point. I love Blanton's SFTB. I am swapping for a bottle right now...it just got shipped today.

I really started drinking whiskey less than a year ago, and now have close to 30 bottles. I've been swapping beer for samples too, so trying tons of stuff. You landed some good ones. I keep missing the ECBP. Pisses me off. I won't pay secondary.

I agree on recent Stagg Jr. It's still too hot when opened, so I just open immediately and then drink it a few months later. Mine is awesome right now. I grabbed my first McKenna recently, but haven't opened it yet. Waiting to kill a couple of others first. I didn't much like the Angel's Envy I tried. Like you, I'm not a Bulleit fan, certainly not what we pay in MA (over $30). I talk to people across the country that pay under $20. I'm looking for Weller 12, not a fan of the Antique really.

I like Blanton's at my price point. I love Blanton's SFTB. I am swapping for a bottle right now...it just got shipped today.
If you want this release of the ECBP let me know. I think I'll be back in central NY in a couple of weeks could easily grab one for you. It's like $52 or something.

I send out west all the time to guys that are on a land cruiser forum I'm part of. Not sure where you are in MA but likely I'm in your neck of the woods at some point in my travels so could ship or drop off.

Did get these yesterday

Northbound can we be friend's?

HuskyHawk

If you want this release of the ECBP let me know. I think I'll be back in central NY in a couple of weeks could easily grab one for you. It's like $52 or something.

I send out west all the time to guys that are on a land cruiser forum I'm part of. Not sure where you are in MA but likely I'm in your neck of the woods at some point in my travels so could ship or drop off.
I can never find it at that price, or at all really, so yeah, I'd love that. I'm in Franklin MA, near the RI border.

HuskyHawk

Rebel Yell is the smoothest booze I've ever had. It lacks in taste but makes up for it in drinkability.
Ack! The 10 is good, but the regular is something I'd use to clean the toilet. But if you love it, drink it. We're all different.

Angels Envy and on the rare occasion Whistle Pig
College friend bought a bottle of
Whistle Pig Old World Rye Sauternes, Medeira & Port Cask 12 Years Old for a huge job sale he was working on for 6 months. It was amazing good

HuskyHawk

Poor man's Pappy recipe.

As I mentioned upthread, I'm not a bourbon connoisseur. However, once anything becomes an overpriced collectable, I'm done with it. Learned my lesson with wine many years ago. At that point, it's all about ego, not about appreciation.
Absolutely. And none of the people I know who have had the various Pappy and Van Winkle offerings thinks that they are worth close to the secondary price. Nor do the guys who make it. They have said repeatedly they price it at what they think it is worth, and wouldn't pay more.

c29328

On Smoko
Best everyday Bourbon is Eagke Rare. If you disagree it's ok but you are WRONG. Best Bourbon ever for me was first batch of Barrell Bourbon. Like mist of theirs and have a bottle or two of their first 5 batches. I dig me some heavy corn mash.