Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

UConn 300/1

Kinda like Navy at 10/1

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Agree with Navy at 10 to 1. I think they’re second most likely to win the conference if UCF doesn’t.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Here’s the thing with UConn. We will likely never be favored to win the league. Back in the Big East days even when we won the league the experts liked to pretend we hadn’t.

Reaction Score
True. Dropping a $10 bill on UConn would have a nice pay-out if the unimaginable happened.

Of course dropping a $10 bill on a beer or maybe two, depending what you drink, would have provided a payout if the imaginable happens. Just the thoughts of a conservative guy who seldom makes bets. Or drinks!

Reaction Score
Of course dropping a $10 bill on a beer or maybe two, depending what you drink, would have provided a payout if the imaginable happens. Just the thoughts of a conservative guy who seldom makes bets. Or drinks!

Ponderous.............

Reaction Score
ECU must be, like, insanely bad
That’s not an easy place to play. Even though they say ECU be will bad I’m not expecting that to be an easy game at all.

Reaction Score
Rhode Island isn’t going to be an easy game either but that’s not a Rhode Island problem...
I get it.
Eventually solid recruiting will change the landscape of these FCS games we have on the schedule. Like I’ve said before, my barometer for success (during a rebuild) is always exclusive of wins/losses- however, the team must be squarely in the middle of it, which UConn most certainly is. I just want to see an improvement in tackling, less blown assignments and more physical play on defense. I think the offense will continue to improve as Pindell takes another step forward in terms of leadership. Again, his legs are scary and I believe that alone will create some opportunities downfield for Hergy and Co. The running game is still a question mark although I believe we can push north of 3 yds per carry and hopefully move closer to the ideal 4 and better. The defense is young so we’ll give up points for sure.
2019 is the year where I’ll be looking for a bowl appearance at the least. By that time the defense will have a veteran presence and Krajewski should be in shape to take over the offense and continue the push forward.

Reaction Score
Here’s the thing with UConn. We will likely never be favored to win the league. Back in the Big East days even when we won the league the experts liked to pretend we hadn’t.

Our victory ... every year UConn (2003-2009) was predicted #75-105 in preseason annuals. Most every year, HCRE (in my view) broke the top 50 in teams in the country; and maybe we were top 30 at one moment. I think HCRE can get there again. However, make no mistake, while our Fanbase and National view sees the Big East as NAME BRAND opposition in that time frame, this AAC is actually a better consistent quality team week in week out. (excepting my view of WVU)

Reaction Score
Pudge I absolutely agree that week in week out the AAC is far superior to the Big East. There are 4 teams every season who could compete in any conference in the country including the SEC. Not necessarily win but absolutely compete. And a couple of them over the last few years could have won any league if things fell right. I heard a guy on a sports talk show somewhere (not even AAC country) saying that Loyola Chicago was an example of why no AAC team will get to the Football NIT. Everyone knows that AAC champ COULD knock off anyone. Not necessarily would but could. That is too great a risk for the Alabama’s of the world to take.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Doesn't anyone have an issue with the totality of the odds here? It adds up to 200%! How much extra spread do the betting houses need?

Reaction Score
Our victory ... every year UConn (2003-2009) was predicted #75-105 in preseason annuals. Most every year, HCRE (in my view) broke the top 50 in teams in the country; and maybe we were top 30 at one moment. I think HCRE can get there again. However, make no mistake, while our Fanbase and National view sees the Big East as NAME BRAND opposition in that time frame, this AAC is actually a better consistent quality team week in week out. (excepting my view of WVU)
Your memory is a little hazy. Uconn started exceeding preseason predictions in 2007. I have the links to conference consensus finish by year and the actual years below but here are the results:
2003 - NAP (not in the Big East)
2004 - Preseason 5; actual 5
2005 - Preseason 6 actual 6
2006 - Preseason 6 actual 7
2007 - Preseason 7 actual tied for 1st (AP rank of 16 at one point; unranked end of season)
2008 - Preseason 6 actual 5 (AP had Uconn ranked 24 at one point that year)
2009 - Preseason 6 actual 4

2004-2006, Uconn was not one of the top 50 teams in the country. They had their share of upsets and highly competitive games during those years and you could see the progress but 2007 was just one of those years where all the pieces fit and all the breaks Uconn needed for the tie breaker went their way including the head to head win over UWV.

2007 Big East Conference Year Summary | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
2003 Preseason Consensus

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Doesn't anyone have an issue with the totality of the odds here? It adds up to 200%! How much extra spread do the betting houses need?

Can you show the math on that?

UCF 44.4
Houston 33.3
Memphis 28.5
Navy 9
USF 9
Everyone else adds up to 10

~134%.

Still not good but not 200% bad.

Anyone who cares it:
1/(odds+1)

Navy is 1/(10+1)=.09

USF is 5/4 = 1.25
1/(1.25+1) = 44.4

UConn is 1/301

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's dumb. The odds are probably generous to UConn and ECU in terms of winning the league. We aren't going to win the league. What's relevant is whether we might overperform expectations and still fall short of winning the league. That's an area where we might do well.

I'd be curious to see "odds to finish in the top 3 of your division". That's our semi-realistic objective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom