Odd, Yet Familiar Feeling | The Boneyard

Odd, Yet Familiar Feeling

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nice win on Sunday.

And now it's three days in a row of not wanting to wait for the next game. It's almost like I have hope and expectations for the team and program after Sunday's game. Yes, I realize there will be more clunkers this year. But compared to the past few years where every win felt like we got one over, this team seems to have legitimate upside. There are players playing at their position that can actually compete at that position. The team can do things that can overcome good opposition game planning and coaching.

So, anywho, looking forward for tomorrow, not because it's a certainty but because I am anxious to see what can be.

Reaction Score
Said it before I’ll say it again, I get the feeling this year is going to be a roller coaster. My gut says this season is one of those 2 steps forward, 1 step backward type of seasons (not Kemba-esk, but hey, it’s friggin UConn).

Despite the victory over Florida no one knows where we stand but we know the trajectory upward.

This is our first real road test at neutral site so I am going to take it with a grain of salt. Buffalo isn’t a slouch of a team, but neither are we. I will sadly give this one a toss up even though we are favored.

Reaction Score
Said it before I’ll say it again, I get the feeling this year is going to be a roller coaster. My gut says this season is one of those 2 steps forward, 1 step backward type of seasons (not Kemba-esk, but hey, it’s friggin UConn).

Despite the victory over Florida no one knows where we stand but we know the trajectory upward.

This is our first real road test at neutral site so I am going to take it with a grain of salt. Buffalo isn’t a slouch of a team, but neither are we. I will sadly give this one a toss up even though we are favored.

Agree completely. This team is going to lose a number of games due to general knuckleheadedness and lack of consistency, but I think they'll surprise a few more teams this season as well. Feels like one of those "play at the level of their competition" seasons.

Reaction Score
Nice win on Sunday.

And now it's three days in a row of not wanting to wait for the next game. It's almost like I have hope and expectations for the team and program after Sunday's game. Yes, I realize there will be more clunkers this year. But compared to the past few years where every win felt like we got one over, this team seems to have legitimate upside. There are players playing at their position that can actually compete at that position. The team can do things that can overcome good opposition game planning and coaching.

So, anywho, looking forward for tomorrow, not because it's a certainty but because I am anxious to see what can be.

We're all hopeful. But I (and I assume others) felt that way leaving MSG after beating Syracuse last year. We'll know a lot more after the upcoming tournament.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We're all hopeful. But I (and I assume others) felt that way leaving MSG after beating Syracuse last year. We'll know a lot more after the upcoming tournament.

For me, last year against 'cuse felt more like smoke and mirrors. Yeah we won, but it didn't seem like it was sustainable to me. We had Cobb playing great and the narrative was Carlton couldn't compete against top D1 teams. Now, we have a center who can get close to a double double every game. And unlike Cobb, Carlton is reliable. Polley has gotten more confident. We have seen a better Whaley. Akok has shown he belongs. We still don't know about Gaffney or Bouk. AG is still a fall away from having his career over. Sid and Adams still trying to figure out their roles.

As I said, it's no certainty but the program seems to be trending more towards more answers and less questions.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lol, oh I had completely bought in walking out of MSG.
I was so hopeful that I went in the next day for the Iowa game.

Boy, was that a drag.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was so hopeful that I went in the next day for the Iowa game.

Boy, was that a drag.
It was like "We're back baby!" and then...

1574265460072.png

pj

Reaction Score
Yeah, last year we had no depth and injuries took a toll.

This year we have depth. The talent is still limited, but the team will be a lot more resilient. Strength and conditioning and understanding of the coach's approach are better too. Chemistry looks good. It will be a fun season.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Yes, I want to see them play against good competition. Florida isn't that (right now). Has some talent, but young and isn't playing good team basketball.

Reaction Score
For me, last year against 'cuse felt more like smoke and mirrors. Yeah we won, but it didn't seem like it was sustainable to me. We had Cobb playing great and the narrative was Carlton couldn't compete against top D1 teams. Now, we have a center who can get close to a double double every game. And unlike Cobb, Carlton is reliable. Polley has gotten more confident. We have seen a better Whaley. Akok has shown he belongs. We still don't know about Gaffney or Bouk. AG is still a fall away from having his career over. Sid and Adams still trying to figure out their roles.

As I said, it's no certainty but the program seems to be trending more towards more answers and less questions.

I think the difference now is that we managed to beat an athletically superior team even though we didn't shoot well. I'm not sure we won a game against any decent opponent since 2014 in which we didn't shoot well from the field. That speaks to defensive intensity, but it also indicates that Florida just isn't very good offensively right now.

I still don't think that we are good enough athletically to win games with defense against good offensive teams. And unless Bouknight can consistently create his own shot we don't have anyone that can do that. The talent level still has a long way to go and there will be lots of ups and downs this year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think the difference now is that we managed to beat an athletically superior team even though we didn't shoot well. I'm not sure we won a game against any decent opponent since 2014 in which we didn't shoot well from the field. That speaks to defensive intensity, but it also indicates that Florida just isn't very good offensively right now.

I still don't think that we are good enough athletically to win games with defense against good offensive teams. And unless Bouknight can consistently create his own shot we don't have anyone that can do that. The talent level still has a long way to go and there will be lots of ups and downs this year.

I'm hoping Bouk really changes the dynamic of the team offensively. A lot to ask of a freshman, but still. Having a guy who can get his own shot will open up a whole bunch of other options. Need to be able to get CV and Polley open shots from outside.

Reaction Score
I'm curious to see how they play away from home with a less than boisterous crowd. Can they bring the ruckus if the fans don't bring the noise?

Reaction Score

Surprisingly, I didn't think Florida looked more athletic than us. Bouknight will upgrade us athletically.

Reaction Score
AG not making shots but still beating Florida without having Bouk yet and what we've heard about him gets me excited. Flip it around and felt the same way with different players last year after the cuse win, been commented on already above. This could go either way for me but as others have posted we are so due for one of these guys to turn into a legit star. AG has that talent, Bouk could be that guy too even as a freshman. Always next man up, next sports car in the garage, but eventually someone is going to click and drive the car. Cautiously optimistic. This is a big week for this team, we go 3-0 the nation will take notice. We go 1-2 we will all be sitting here next week waiving the flag and talking about next year. NERVOUS and EXCITED for tomorrow!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
It was an exciting game and a win most importantly. I don't want to beat up on AG but he should be shooting less and assisting more. There should never be a game where he shoots twice as many threes as CV. If Bouk is the player we hope he is maybe AG's shots attempted vs. assists will even out. Also, as Josh faces more double teams hopefully he'll understand where the doubler came from and make the appropriate pass. Josh is not a finished product but he has shown continued improvement. If he can make teams pay for doubling him it will add another dimension to his game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think we're going to struggle on those days like SJU when the outside jumpers aren't falling. Hopefully when that happens, we can try options other than hero ball. The team ball nature of that FL win was heartening.

Reaction Score
This is a big week for this team, we go 3-0 the nation will take notice. We go 1-2 we will all be sitting here next week waiving the flag and talking about next year. NERVOUS and EXCITED for tomorrow!

There is no actual cupcake in the Charleston field. UConn could go 0-3 without playing terribly. Buffalo, btw, is a 3-point favorite, per Sagarin.

I believe the must win is against Buffalo. It's time to separate ourselves definitively from the better mid-majors. After that, it's enough to be competitive. We go 1-2 in the winners bracket, and there's no reason to give up on the season. Anything better is reason for real hope.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm hoping Bouk really changes the dynamic of the team offensively. A lot to ask of a freshman, but still. Having a guy who can get his own shot will open up a whole bunch of other options. Need to be able to get CV and Polley open shots from outside.

Good news is Bouk isn't required to be the #1 or even #2 option. If he can get going during a game, nice. Ride the wave. But fortunately there are still scoring options if he plays a clunker of a game too. I'll make a safe prediction in saying his defensive intensity and consistency is what will determine his minutes more than his scoring will.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Good news is Bouk isn't required to be the #1 or even #2 option. If he can get going during a game, nice. Ride the wave. But fortunately there are still scoring options if he plays a clunker of a game too. I'll make a safe prediction in saying his defensive intensity and consistency is what will determine his minutes more than his scoring will.

Problem is, we've got no one who can consistently create their own shot. Only guy who can break anyone down is AG, and he usually gets swallowed up. Hasn't had an outside shot to respect either.

So I'm saying we need Bouk to do that. Break down the D and get points at the rim, while hitting outside as well.

Reaction Score

He may drop 8 or 9 points in a row. It may become evident that he IS our best offensive player, and my guess is he will work hard becoming a good defender.

My expectations with Bouknight are only tempered by the fact that he is a freshman getting a bit of a late start. But come next year I think we will be looking at a legit star.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom