OT: October is National Pizza Month | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: October is National Pizza Month

Reaction Score
Took a trip several years ago that was taking us through Naples, the birthplace of pizza, so I googled "Best pizza in Naples" and the majority opinion said it was "da Michele." After waiting outside for 45 minutes to get in, we were mildly disappointed. It just wasn't that special. We agreed that the best pizza we had on that trip was on the island of Burano in Venice.

I love NY-style pizza, but I'm really partial to very thin-crusted pizzas. Not a fan of deep-dish or Chicago-style pizza.

Reaction Score
Gino’s East or Lou Malnati’s deep dish.
Deep dish can be good if you're in the mood for it but it's not really pizza. Most Chicagoans don't eat a lot of deep dish but when they do Pequod's is the spot, it's the best.

Reaction Score
On my trips to Chicago. The Giordano's in the Lakeview neighborhood was a frequent choice for that deep dish pie. The first time I went...I was shocked when the waitress told me it would be 45 minutes before the pizza came out. Needless to say... it was worth the wait. You'd be so hungry by the time it arrived... yet 2 slices was my max. :eek: And this was over 20 years ago while I was in my eating prime :eek::eek::eek: I will say though.... it was the rare pie that tasted even better the next day warmed up.
On the 45 minutes:

1) You go downstairs and have a couple Goose Island 312's while your'e waiting (but be careful - this makes it easier to burn the roof of your mouth - deep dish doesn't cool off quickly)

2) It takes 45 minutes to re-heat it the next day, too.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's gonna take eating a lot of good pizzas until we're square again.

Define alot :p

On the 45 minutes:

1) You go downstairs and have a couple Goose Island 312's while your'e waiting (but be careful - this makes it easier to burn the roof of your mouth - deep dish doesn't cool off quickly)

2) It takes 45 minutes to re-heat it the next day, too.

Had no idea what a Goose 312 was..... so I googled it. Not much of a beer drinker...... last time I had a beer was Super Bowl Sunday in 2014. (Darn you Patriots Head bang ) The problem with buying a six pack of beer... is that at my rate of consumption.... it would probably take about 70 years to finish the pack.... and I dont have 70 years left on this earth. :oops: Though I did hear on a radio show about some kinda Chocolate Beer that sounds intriguing :eek:

Back to pizza.... I found out the hard way about being careful about attacking a freshly made deep dish pizza :oops: Those pizza burns are the worst

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hmm if only there was a place on the internet that analyzed and ranked Connecticut pizza places.

Ladies and gentleman I give you the masterwork of off season threads...

The Pizza Thread

100 pages of pizza place debate.

I hear yall have have some good pizza up there..... if any fine CT residents wish to fedex me a couple of pizzas..... I'd be willing to except :cool: I'd even put on my UCONN hat while I dine on it :eek:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's gonna take eating a lot of good pizzas until we're square again.

Last night..... Meat Lovers Pizza... Mozzarella and Parmiagiano Cheeses.... Pepperoni, Sausage, Italian Bacon, Hamburger, and EXTRA Oregano.... (i told him to leave off the ham.. not a huge fan of ham on pizza)..... made by an Italian Immigrant ....

Reaction Score
Just came across this 101 Best Pizzas in America for 2018...better late than never, as the month is almost over. CT seems to be well represented with 9 pizzerias with Frank Pepe's taking the #1 spot with their 'White Clam Pie".

If nothing else, this article perhaps gives you a chance to visit and try some of these pizzas. Enjoy!

101 Best Pizzas in America for 2018

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Last night..... Meat Lovers Pizza... Mozzarella and Parmiagiano Cheeses.... Pepperoni, Sausage, Italian Bacon, Hamburger, and EXTRA Oregano.... (i told him to leave off the ham.. not a huge fan of ham on pizza)..... made by an Italian Immigrant ....

Nice. Monday evening, Enzo's again: half bacon, half pepperoni, lighter cheese. Excellent
Enzo's is the family fave in Montclair, NJ, located 12 miles west from NYC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
2019 bump. Sitting here in a franchise pizza joint waiting on my two pizzas...... I normally don't do the chains.. But I had a buy one get one free coupon to use. Perhaps we could do a preseason top 10 pizzas... Or a preseason top five pizza restaurants.:p

Reaction Score
There is no need to venture any further than Wooster Street (New Haven Ct) when looking for pizza.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
In Kew Gardens, Queens, NY-- Dani's House of Pizza In Foothill Ranch(Orange County CA) Sals Pizzeria. I grew up in NY, there is no such thing as "chain" pizza. I dont care if they gave you 10 for the price of 1.

Reaction Score
I've had many a pizza, and I have 2 favorites: Bianchi's on Revere Beach, and Pizzaria Regina in Boston.

Reaction Score
TheDailyMeal.com puts out the yearly 101 Best Pizzas in America.

Growing up in West Haven, CT, to me Zuppardi's Apizza (#46 on list) is one of the best. So many places in New Haven County that offer up "New Haven style Apizza"...more times than not you'll hit a good one.

The CT Pizza places on list include;

#1 Frank Pepe's Pizzeria, Wooster St, New Haven, CT
#7 Sally's Apizza, Wooster St, New Haven, CT
#20 Modern Apizza, New Haven, CT
#44 Colony Grill, Stamford, CT (no not that Stanford)
#46 Zuppardi's Apizza, West Haven, CT
#51 Roseland Apizza, Derby, CT ( I should trek to Derby to try this one)

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say that the Baltimore area is a hotbed for pizza. I do, however, like the pizza from a place called Pasta Mista. They have a wide variety and sell by the slice.

Though it might not technically fit the definition of pizza, I am partial to their "Chicken Caesar" pizza. Think of caesar dressing instead of tomato sauce and you get the idea.

Reaction Score
TheDailyMeal.com puts out the yearly 101 Best Pizzas in America.

Growing up in West Haven, CT, to me Zuppardi's Apizza (#46 on list) is one of the best. So many places in New Haven County that offer up "New Haven style Apizza"...more times than not you'll hit a good one.

The CT Pizza places on list include;

#1 Frank Pepe's Pizzeria, Wooster St, New Haven, CT
#7 Sally's Apizza, Wooster St, New Haven, CT
#20 Modern Apizza, New Haven, CT
#44 Colony Grill, Stamford, CT (no not that Stanford)
#46 Zuppardi's Apizza, West Haven, CT
#51 Roseland Apizza, Derby, CT ( I should trek to Derby to try this one)

One street has 2 of the top 7. Again, why go anywhere else?

And for those readers who aren't from Connecticut, yes, in Connecticut we do little other than watch UConn and eat pizza (along with lobster rolls in the Summer).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm going to Chicago tomorrow and hope to stop at Lou Malnati's.

After that, I'll be watching my granddaughter's soccer game. She's the leading scorer on her Division III team as a freshman. She appears to have found her niche.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Following the time-honored Boneyard tradition of thread creep, let us salivate between bites of pizza at the thought of free or reduced price tacos.

¡Híjole! ¡Tacos grátis!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Following the time-honored Boneyard tradition of thread creep, let us salivate between bites of pizza at the thought of free or reduced price tacos.

¡Híjole! ¡Tacos grátis!

Thanks. I was gonna make a thread about National Taco Day, but I didnt want to make it seem that I had an obsession with food. :oops:

I should have waited on that pizza.... Could have just gotten a Taco Pizza today and killed two birds with one stone. Maybe next year.

Reaction Score
2 problems.... my memory isnt what it used to be... and I tend to procrastinate. I've been meaning to go get a bottle of Gingko Bioloba... but I keep putting it off :oops:

Its a once a year thing..... I promise... :oops:
Duke, that's hilarious.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Apologies for being late :oops: ..... but October is National Pizza Month :) Still three more weeks left to celebrate.

I celebrated Friday Night with two pizzas (both mediums cause Im cutting) a thin crust Asian Chicken Pizza..... with Asian Sauce, grilled chicken, red onions, green peppers, and sesame seeds. And one with Pepperoni, ham, italian sausage, ground beef, mushrooms, red onions, and green peppers (told them no olives) .... with a garlic crust. I dont normally go to chain pizza places, but I had a coupon for Hungry Howies.

Go out and celebrate... support your local neighborhood pizza place :cool: You can diet and exercise in November :D

I stuck my toe in the water. I purchased a large 3 topping pizza and 12 lemon-pepper flavored wings from Pizza Hut. It went fast. Both containers were emptied in less than 60 seconds. The grandkids were here, and hungry for pizza. I was very lucky to get a slice. I should have purchased 2 pizzas. I’ll know better next time. :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thanks. I was gonna make a thread about National Taco Day, but I didnt want to make it seem that I had an obsession with food. :oops:

I should have waited on that pizza.... Could have just gotten a Taco Pizza today and killed two birds with one stone. Maybe next year.

This Taco could use a few more Tacos

1570355910092.png

Reaction Score
I AM APPALLED BY THIS THREAD.

It should be National Pizza Quarter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members