OT: October is National Pizza Month | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: October is National Pizza Month

Reaction Score
When I grew up in northern NJ in the 60-70s, there was a pizza place in every strip mall with a guy tossing dough visible from the front window. You could get a decent slice of pepperoni for $0.50 any time anywhere. All those places are gone now. And somehow pizza has morphed into some other sort of thing. I'm so confused.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
My two go-to pizza places in Montclair, NJ:

• Enzo's, Valley Road. Light(er) crust and take instructions well on alterations. Personal pies are excellent.
  • Mr. Dino's, Watchung Avenue, Upper Montclair. Little thicker crust. Never worry about short-changing any meat. Italian League soccer always on if you have to wait for the pick-up.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
As a person that traces half his heritage to western Ukraine, I'll be celebrating on Saturday with potato/onion, potato/spinach and carmelized onions all over the lot. Oh, maybe a sip of Ukranian vodka at one point (or another :) )

My younger brother used to purposely starve ourselves when we'd go to Alphabet avenues in NYC to inhale all Ukranian food on a crisp Autumn night. Our wives would be in disbelief at just how much dough and stuffed cabbage we could ingest!

Reaction Score
Apologies for being late :oops: .......... but October is National Pizza Month :) Still three more weeks left to celebrate.

I celebrated Friday Night with two pizzas (both mediums cause Im cutting) a thin crust Asian Chicken Pizza..... with Asian Sauce, grilled chicken, red onions, green peppers, and sesame seeds. And one with Pepperoni, ham, italian sausage, ground beef, mushrooms, red onions, and green peppers (told them no olives) .... with a garlic crust. I dont normally go to chain pizza places, but I had a coupon for Hungry Howies.

Go out and celebrate... support your local neighborhood pizza place :cool: You can diet and exercise in November :D
Sounds to me like you really ordered a pizza and a flat egg roll. ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I haven't bought a pizza from a chain in decades. Back in the 80s sometimes I'd hit Papa Gino's in one of the local malls, they had decent pizza at the time.

Six slices in a row??? Holy cow.

I'm guilty of buying from chains a few times this year. Dominoes has an app... and a drive through window... so that combination makes it so so convenient. :oops:

Six slices?? It's possible, but not advised. Not that I've participated in that kind of gluttony in the past :rolleyes::oops::(
Sounds to me like you really ordered a pizza and a flat egg roll. ;)

Didn't think of it that way, but yeah.. that sounds about right.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
When I grew up in northern NJ in the 60-70s, there was a pizza place in every strip mall with a guy tossing dough visible from the front window. You could get a decent slice of pepperoni for $0.50 any time anywhere. All those places are gone now. And somehow pizza has morphed into some other sort of thing. I'm so confused.
If so, that's a shame. We moved west in 2011 they were still going strong. We had Bella Roma in South Bound Brook where we lived, and Dusal's in East Brunswick where my wife was from - and many others we tried once in a while.

I can't say we eat a lot of chain pizza - although I had some gift cards for the local Dominos, and Tucson being a bit tough for Pizza, I've had it and it isn't horrid.

For Tucson, Grandma Tony's (it's its own style) is good, Piazza Gavi is NY ish, but seldom cooked enough on the bottom but burned on the top crust, there is a joint called Bear Canyon Pizza that is both huge slices and a bit spicy, but actually a bit east-coast-ish and finally Rosati's, which is a Chicago based joint, but their thin crust is tasty every once in a while (as a side with Pasta, not stand-alone).

So if anyone makes it to Tucson - and finds a great pizza not listed above - I'd love to know about it.

Reaction Score
Your post reminded me of a pizza tasting test I read about years ago. The bottom line was the determination that NYC water from the Catskills was the secret ingredient to making the best tasting pizza. I just went digging and found additional info on all that:

Food Detectives Prove NY Water Matters in NY Pizza - New York Style - Pizza Making Forum
I used to live in the Catskills were all of the reserviors are. We used to urinate in them to add flavor for the NYC Pizza'a. I learned that on our visit to Ireland and in the Pubs they said don't ever Kiss the Blarney Stone cause all the local would visit the stone at night and

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom