October 11, 2014 | The Boneyard

October 11, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UConn had lost to Tulane in BD's first year and what I saw that day scared me. Scared me enough to fire off an email to Warde.

Started a thread on it too.

My Letter To Warde

Some of the comments in the thread are funny.

Here was the text.

Mr. Warde Manuel-

I write this email to you as one of thousands of die hard UConn football fans. Don’t bother looking me up. I’m not a donor, nor am I an alumni. In my entire family my mother is the only person to hold a degree from UConn. I was born and raised in Connecticut and I have been a fan and supporter of the program since the 1970’s.
I gave away my ticket to the Tulane game tonight. I live about a 3 hour drive from New Orleans. I travel frequently for my job and was going to use hotel points to spend the weekend there. My total expenses for the weekend would have been $250 or less and based off of what I had seen all year, this program isn’t worth it. The staff and players performance tonight justified my reluctance.
Hiring Bob Diaco and signing off on his staff was a mistake. A big mistake. Six games in to the season and it is obvious to any football fan that there isn’t any attempt by this coaching staff to try to win, develop players or build the football program.
UConn is a first class public university and the flagship university for the state of Connecticut. As such, everyone representing the university has an obligation to present the school in its highest possible regards.
It is okay to go through a process only to find out the decision was poor. Great organizations can recover from a bad decision. Look at how Netflix recovered. They made an aggressive decision but quickly realized the results were poor and corrected them. You can do the same.
This team as coached by the current staff is incapable of scoring 10 points on a regular basis. You are a smart person and you are a football person. This team is literally incapable of beating an opponent who can score 10 points. Any team who can score twice in a game can go in to clock running mode without any fear of UConn making up the difference.
There’s plenty of careers I don’t understand. I’m not an investment banker, I’m not a lawyer and I’m not in to politics. What I do know is organizational behavior, developing organizations and evaluating organizations. I was fortunate enough that during my time serving in the military I was attached to or was able to observe several of the highest functioning organizations within the military. I participated, watched, developed and trained teams that didn’t have any room for false assessments, hubris or introspection. Indeed, the qualities all of these teams possessed was the ability to assess all decisions honestly and without regard for personal welfare.
From a purely selfish point of view, you have dead ended yourself with this hiring decision unless results change dramatically. You are well aware that football can generate substantially more income than any other sport in an athletic department and can generate more press and visibility than all other athletic teams combined.
The ball is in your court. Please do not respond that you are monitoring the situation. What we fans want is results from athletes that are students first, representatives of the state an forever ambassadors of UConn athletics.
Sincerely,
Regular, Frustrated Native Nutmegger

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm a bit relieved to see that my initial response to that thread was it is too early to tell.

A number of things that BD did his first year had me scratching my head. As it was his first year here and he did inherit an enormous rebuilding project I was willing to give him enough slack to build it his way.

Last year he infuriated me often but we somehow miraculously got a bowl bid so I allowed even more slack as he did appear to be onto something.

All I can say now is that he lives in a different reality than I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek
Top Bottom