Obscure Facts Nerd Take Note | The Boneyard

Obscure Facts Nerd Take Note

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Adamec said it is Sunday night and I'm in the mood for the relatively obscure. What can I get out of first opponent being Stanford?:

The Bristol Press - UConn women's basketball season-opening opponent switched to Stanford

"The Huskies lead the overall series with the Cardinal 10-7, including 4-2 in NCAA Tournament play. But in the last meeting at Maples Pavilion on Nov. 17, 2014, Stanford got a 3-pointer from Amber Orrange to force overtime and pulled out an 88-86 victory to snap UConn’s 47-game winning streak.

Nurse had nine points in what was her second career game. She fouled out. It was also the last time she’s come off the bench, as she has started the last 107 games she has played. Williams did not play - coach’s decision. The All-American has played in 112 consecutive games since.

Five days later, the Huskies defeated Creighton and did not lose again until falling to Mississippi State in overtime in Dallas.

Stanford also snapped UConn’s 90-game winning streak on Dec. 30, 2010, in Palo Alto. The Cardinal are coached by Naismith Hall of Fame inductee Tara VanDerveer."

Reaction Score
Nurse had nine points in what was her second career game. She fouled out. It was also the last time she’s come off the bench, as she has started the last 107 games she has played. Williams did not play - coach’s decision. The All-American has played in 112 consecutive games since."
Saniya had a terrific game offensively, but when Kia fouled out, the perimeter defense suffered terribly. Of course it was Kiah's misguided shot selection in the closing moments of regulation that cost UConn that game. But hey, they managed to win a few games after that.....

Reaction Score
Adamec said it is Sunday night and I'm in the mood for the relatively obscure. What can I get out of first opponent being Stanford?:

The Bristol Press - UConn women's basketball season-opening opponent switched to Stanford

"The Huskies lead the overall series with the Cardinal 10-7, including 4-2 in NCAA Tournament play. But in the last meeting at Maples Pavilion on Nov. 17, 2014, Stanford got a 3-pointer from Amber Orrange to force overtime and pulled out an 88-86 victory to snap UConn’s 47-game winning streak.

Nurse had nine points in what was her second career game. She fouled out. It was also the last time she’s come off the bench, as she has started the last 107 games she has played. Williams did not play - coach’s decision. The All-American has played in 112 consecutive games since.

Five days later, the Huskies defeated Creighton and did not lose again until falling to Mississippi State in overtime in Dallas.

Stanford also snapped UConn’s 90-game winning streak on Dec. 30, 2010, in Palo Alto. The Cardinal are coached by Naismith Hall of Fame inductee Tara VanDerveer."
Interesting--I pulled that CD and had it ready for viewing this PM---Watched the Miss St game again (3rd time), Butler, while not great and a problem in one sequence, was much better than I thought.
Those games that take me a while to see, I must see a few times to make my own determination of what happened. I think Geno was right --but this one is his 3rd.

Reaction Score
Saniya had a terrific game offensively, but when Kia fouled out, the perimeter defense suffered terribly. Of course it was Kiah's misguided shot selection in the closing moments of regulation that cost UConn that game. But hey, they managed to win a few games after that.....

Tara had spent the summer learning a "movement" offense using guards to attack the basket. The perennial weakness of some Uconn teams was to defend the quick guards attacking the basket--and Tara made the most of that. Except for Moriah there was not much quickness --Sanyia, was excellent--but not much quickness in defense--I'm happy she was once again appreciated and this game did not define her career--on defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom