Obi, quicker than Sproles, faster than Hester. | The Boneyard

Obi, quicker than Sproles, faster than Hester.

Reaction Score
What a wealth of talent and athleticism we had in 2015 with Obi, BJ and Adams. UCONN had to be one of the best, if not The best Defensive backfields in the country that year. Pretty amazing when you think about it. At this level depth is important. If any of those guys were out of the game, there was a pretty big gap talentwise. Goes to show how important depth is.

Reaction Score
Draft profile: Obi Melifonwu’s best fit might not be at safety

The article is pretty amazing. Maybe he should have been returning kicks.
I think Obi could play what I call the "Polamalu" position... a guy with freakish intangibles but ability to cover/play DB and LB.. Troy Polamalu set the standard. Only thing with him was he was under 6', but real fast... Obi could be revolutionize the role potentially...

Question with Obi is can he be a true student of the game and embrace his intangibles as they translate to the NFL... If he can do that, whoever gets him will have potentially a Hall of Famer on their hands...

I wouldn't complain if he fills a need with my Cowboys... just move him around a bit... I can see him in a blitz package in the Marinelli defense or covering a TE, slot receiver...

I kinda feel bad for him and Noel Thomas Jr as well as the other talented kids on our team over the past 4 years... with the coaching changes.. never got a chance to put up the #s until late because of the different philosophies...

All in all, great exposure for him, Noel, and the rest of UConn Football... We keep letting the NFL know that we have pro talent up in Storrs, CT

Reaction Score
No one on the roster was more intelligent. He can learn anything.
I like the sound of that... but the NFL is on another level... which was my only concern...
He can truly be special, because he's no Mike Mamula...

Reaction Score
Quite a few DBs return kicks, in UConn's case kick offs, as we didn't return punts. But it would have been interesting to see given Obi's gifts.

I know that. It was a bad joke at Diaco's expense. It's hard to convey sarcasm on the interwebz :cool:

and, tangentially, i agree about seeing Obi return kicks...but Bobby would have screwed that up somehow, as he did all things. Does anyone remember how bad we were ripping Obi for 2 straight years for not staying with his man in coverage ??? And yet somehow he is a first rounder ??? That's a scheme problem. A MAJOR scheme problem.

Thanks Bob

Reaction Score
Quite a few DBs return kicks, in UConn's case kick offs, as we didn't return punts. But it would have been interesting to see given Obi's gifts.

He meant that no one returns kicks anymore since they are mostly all touch backs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom