OBE vs NBE ~ March Madness | The Boneyard

OBE vs NBE ~ March Madness

Reaction Score
Sad to only see three teams from the NBE in this years March Madness Tournament. I remember the OBE fielding five or six teams at least. Hopefully the three teams can all make a good run.

Reaction Score
UConn, Creighton, Nova, GTown = 4.

But yes, it would be nice to see at least 5 or 6 per year make it. 50% or so should be the bare minimum for the BE moving forward. This year was weak((er) than usual) for the BE and with Nova having an injury, and they are the best bet to go deep, overall 2020-21 COULD turn out to be a bust unless UConn has a S16 run and/or GTown has a nice first-round upset.

But I have never cared too much for conference performance, just care how UConn does. I don't remember or care how UConn's conference mates did in 99, 04, 11 or 14 or 2009.

Reaction Score
But I have never cared too much for conference performance, just care how UConn does. I don't remember or care how UConn's conference mates did in 99, 04, 11 or 14 or 2009.
I may be different or even old school, but I always rooted for Big East teams in the Tourney. The AAC changed that, but now I'm back on the BE wagon.

Good performances by conference teams are good for recruits, fan base and national attention.

Lastly when we won our Championships I recall opponent BE fans being happy for us 'representing'.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think in the years to come, UConn, Nova, Creighton, St Johns (now with a great coach), GTown (Ewing is bringing in a great class and is proven to be a great coach), we should be seeing at least 4 consistent tournament teams per season.

What remains to be seen is the level of play by the likes of Butler, Xavier, Seton Hall, and Marquette of course. Four good basketball schools that just need to get over inconsistencies.

Then there's PC and DePaul.

I think because of COVID and the non conference schedules were greatly affected, some teams records looked worse than it really was, so usually they would have a better eye test resume rather than finishing towards .500

We should be seeing, consistently, 4-6 teams per season

Reaction Score
The Big East was stacked last year and lost a lot to graduation. Would've likely gotten 6-7 teams out of 10 into the tournament. The recruiting classes weren't as good for this year, but with us back in the fold and hopefully making the tournament as a regular occurrence, I expect 5-6 bids out of 11 teams pretty often.

Reaction Score
4 bids out of 11 teams is so-so, but the biggest disappointment is not a single top-4 seed.

We have a 5, 5, 7, and 12.

That's awfully AAC-like.

In fact, the last time we were a 7 seed, the AAC got 4 bids: a 4, 5, 7 (us), and 8.

Hope this is just an aberration and not a harbinger.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The Big East was stacked last year and lost a lot to graduation. Would've likely gotten 6-7 teams out of 10 into the tournament. The recruiting classes weren't as good for this year, but with us back in the fold and hopefully making the tournament as a regular occurrence, I expect 5-6 bids out of 11 teams pretty often.
Don't forget to factor the cannibalizations of SHU, SJU and Providence. We need their souls to restore us to our villainous ambitions.

Reaction Score
The New Big East isn’t even in the same league with the Big East. Between 1999 and 2013 when it broke up it had 5 National Championships won by 3 different teams, something like 11 teams in the Final Four, and at least twice it had multiple Final Four teams. It had multiple Elite 8 teams. The New Big East has had Villanova. It’s good but Villanova has been to the NBE what Gonzaga has been to its league. A giant among Lilliputians. Now I know somebody is going to post about all the high rankings and bids the league has gotten. But look at NCAA tourney performance and you see that is largely a mirage. You have to look hard to find a team not named Villanova that got past the first weekend. And the number of times losing to lower seeds is pretty high too. I’m a UConn fan and that’s who I root for. For various reasons, there are a few others I root for when they don’t play the Huskies. Don’t much care about the New Big East and it’s living off the legacy of the Original, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom