Oak, Walsh, Myers new starters? [Fuller] | The Boneyard

Oak, Walsh, Myers new starters? [Fuller]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Vechery is a tall dude and coaches have emphasized that moving feet, staying low and balanced. Maybe the DLine matchups allow a more natural center like Oak to get snaps.

Reaction Score
That is the most encouraging report in total we've heard in a long time. I hope even half of it is true.
Agreed 1000%.. excited about the notion that some of our starters from last year, on an improved football team, might get their spot taken by a younger guy...Honestly, this team needs that.. the starters from the previous year will still be solid contributors but we are an evolving football team.. the youth movement will make for an even more solid football team down the road (2016, 2017)...

Reaction Score
No surprise on Vann. He was not very effective last week and it was easy to spot as I noted in other posts after the game. He was not able to get off blockers and was very poor in QB run reads. Stewart is not much better. D line saved our asses.

Don't get the Vechery move. Thought he was very good.

Reaction Score
No surprise on Vann. He was not very effective last week and it was easy to spot as I noted in other posts after the game. He was not able to get off blockers and was very poor in QB run reads. Stewart is not much better. D line saved our asses.

I really don't get the comments on Stewart, and this isn't just you BlueDogs so don't think I'm singling you out here. I've re-watched the game twice now and he was all over the place making plays, holding contain on the mobile QB when running an option play, batting a pass attempt, good tackling! is he perfect no, but in the scheme of that game he was hardly the weakest link or the player messing up. I seriously don't know what people were watching, you do know he is number 2 right!?

Reaction Score

I think the vechery move is specifically for the army matchup, but could be wrong. Army has small and quick defenders, so oak may be a better fit

Reaction Score
Vechery might be a wee bit nicked up? Coaches want Oak to get some game time in with the #1's for experience down the road just in case? Maybe somebody lit a fire under Oak's keister?

Reaction Score
With Oak getting more time with the number one's, might be the right game (ARMY) to build depth and versatility.
Just reveals more young Huskies developing and seeing action. We need depth to survive a full season.
We also don't know injury /sickness report

Reaction Score
The implication in the piece is that Vechery might be under the weather. I can't see a team switching Centers for one game due to match ups (but what do I know).
I do agree here. Especially, giving a RS Frosh his first start at the collegiate level against a team like Army who is anything but conventional.

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 4:45pm via TweetDeck
Last year #UConn's Mikal Myers made his 1st career start against Army. He's set to make it 2 for 2

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20...kal-myers-starting-in-place-of-foley-fatukasi

>> Growing up just 15 miles from the campus of the United States Military Academy in picturesque West Point, New York, it has to be special for Mikal Myers to get the starting assignment against Army.

However, UConn’s junior defensive lineman from Newburgh was playing it cool after Tuesday’s practice about the prospects of making his second career start against the Black Knights. His only other start also came against Army.

“I will prepare the same way, trying to come out and have as good of a game as I can,” Myers said. “I am comfortable knowing what to expect. They are a different team. I don’t know what they are going to throw at us. I watch film and we are going to prepare as best as we can.”<<

Reaction Score
I really don't get the comments on Stewart, and this isn't just you BlueDogs so don't think I'm singling you out here. I've re-watched the game twice now and he was all over the place making plays, holding contain on the mobile QB when running an option play, batting a pass attempt, good tackling! is he perfect no, but in the scheme of that game he was hardly the weakest link or the player messing up. I seriously don't know what people wjoere watching, you do know he is number 2 right!?

Sometimes he was all over the place because he missed initial assignments. I love his hustle but he takes way too many bad angles on plays.

I would like to see Vann at the Mike. I like Joseph, especially against the run. I think he is a little slow of foot at times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really don't get the comments on Stewart, and this isn't just you BlueDogs so don't think I'm singling you out here. I've re-watched the game twice now and he was all over the place making plays, holding contain on the mobile QB when running an option play, batting a pass attempt, good tackling! is he perfect no, but in the scheme of that game he was hardly the weakest link or the player messing up. I seriously don't know what people were watching, you do know he is number 2 right!?
Yeah, I could see your point. Most of it falls on Vann. He really underperformed and got eaten up by 1AA lineman. To me, Stewart just did not seem to be where he needed to be at critical times. The QB run defense really falls on the LBs to recognize it, come up and fill with good angles. Just did not see that. The Army scheme is a more traditional run option to maybe he will do better not having to disengage from pass receivers in his cover zone.

Reaction Score
I think the vechery move is specifically for the army matchup, but could be wrong. Army has small and quick defenders, so oak may be a better fit

Aside from Samara, the whole line averages 6'6" and 300lb+. I know Vechery is a "tall" center but replacing him because he is too big dosn't seem right. Oak is listed at 6'3" 292 and Vechery at 6'6" 302 so I can't see the change due to 3 inches and 10 lbs.

Perhaps they are looking to give Oak some game experience in case something happens to Vechery.

Reaction Score
Aside from Samara, the whole line averages 6'6" and 300lb+. I know Vechery is a "tall" center but replacing him because he is too big dosn't seem right. Oak is listed at 6'3" 292 and Vechery at 6'6" 302 so I can't see the change due to 3 inches and 10 lbs.

Perhaps they are looking to give Oak some game experience in case something happens to Vechery.

Maybe, but Verducci did hint at him being under the weather without coming right out and saying it.

"You are going to have guys get a bug or the flu or whatever or bust a chin strap and the philosophy here is literally next man up," Verducci said."

Reaction Score
Sometimes he was all over the place because he missed initial assignments. I love his hustle but he takes way too many bad angles on plays.

I would like to see Vann at the Mike. I like Joseph, especially against the run. I think he is a little slow of foot at times.

I get that, like I said he isn't perfect, but consider sometimes that just because he is the one chasing someone down from behind doesn't necessarily mean it was him that blew the assignment causing him to take the bad angle.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but Verducci did hint at him being under the weather without coming right out and saying it.

"You are going to have guys get a bug or the flu or whatever or bust a chin strap and the philosophy here is literally next man up," Verducci said."[/QUOTE

yeah, I read that. I liked what I saw in Verchery. Sounds like Oak can play.

Reaction Score

One has to question the constant bashing of Stewart. No spitting match here with anyone but what does a player have to do to bring out a no comment let alone a attaboy on this forum? Not my job to defend but I find it funny the coaching staff is not taking heat for playing him here as they continually start him. What is it that is not seen?
Joe D on the coaches show tonight said as an opening statement with Bob, last week was the best game Stewart has played at UCONN and the coach agreed. Then went on to explain why.
Five solo tackles, one being a qb sack and a pass batt down. Along with good pass cover containment. I don't want to call so called fans here haters but is there an option?

Reaction Score
Stewart -- he came here with high expectations and his prior two years were a disappoint. Nothing more sinister than that.

He made a bunch of plays Saturday. He also still seemed to not always have leverage on the outside. Maybe people are colored by the last two years. Maybe he made good plays and bad plays.

If he played well and keeps playing well, people will figure it out.

Reaction Score
One has to question the constant bashing of Stewart. No spitting match here with anyone but what does a player have to do to bring out a no comment let alone a attaboy on this forum? Not my job to defend but I find it funny the coaching staff is not taking heat for playing him here as they continually start him. What is it that is not seen?
Joe D on the coaches show tonight said as an opening statement with Bob, last week was the best game Stewart has played at UCONN and the coach agreed. Then went on to explain why.
Five solo tackles, one being a qb sack and a pass batt down. Along with good pass cover containment. I don't want to call so called fans here haters but is there an option?

Every critic isn't a hater, relax a little. Stewart has more talent than i ever had, i wish him nothing but the best. Doesn't change the fact he takes a lot of horrible angles. Guess what, he isn't a finished product. Sio Moore he isn't, but the story of his Uconn career is not completely written.

Reaction Score
I get that, like I said he isn't perfect, but consider sometimes that just because he is the one chasing someone down from behind doesn't necessarily mean it was him that blew the assignment causing him to take the bad angle.

.....ok

Reaction Score

I don't think the Yard would be very interesting if we can't discuss the good as well as the bad in a particular game. This is the first time I've commented on Stewart. On a whole the LB corps were weak against a 1AA line with a very mobile QB. My main point was I found Vann's replacement very understandable. I added that I did not find Stewart's play that strong either in this particular game and explained why. Take a look at Matakevich's play versus PSU and compare. There are fairly discernable standards of play and I hope Stewart can rise to that level of impact on the field. The attaboy's go to the D line which played in a dominant fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom