O.T. UNC tells NCAA to mind own business, ESPN writer agrees. | The Boneyard

O.T. UNC tells NCAA to mind own business, ESPN writer agrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What was the split between athletes and "regular students" those classes. I'll bet athletes were disproportionally represented by a huge margin.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable. I used to think the designation, UNC, leveled at the school by a couple of BYers, was just a matter of rivalry. No more. The school should be put on academic probation, at the very least.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What was the split between athletes and "regular students" those classes. I'll bet athletes were disproportionally represented by a huge margin.
From UNC's own report:
"Student-athletes accounted for a disproportionately high percentage of enrollments in the AFAM paper classes. Of the identifiable enrollments in the lecture paper classes, 47.4% were student-athletes, even though studentathletes make up just over 4% of the Chapel Hill undergraduate student body."

http://3qh929iorux3fdpl532k03kg.wpe...-content/uploads/2014/10/UNC-FINAL-REPORT.pdf

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Unbelievable. I used to think the designation, UNC, leveled at the school by a couple of BYers, was just a matter of rivalry. No more. The school should be put on academic probation, at the very least.

I went to ESPNw this morning and -- to paraphase John Lennon's line -- "I read the news today, oh boy...." This is what I saw:

- the UNC story.
- the announcement that the Tennessee Athletic Director now wants to lead the way
in the fight against sexual assault.
Tennessee Volunteers AD Dave Hart wants school to lead in addressing sexual assault
- the double stories -- which keep on coming -- out of Baylor:
-- Baylor football assistant coaches will not be allowed to talk the the press this year. Baylor Bears assistant coaches to be off-limits to media during season
while...
-- an offensive lineman is picked up for stalking. Rami Hammad of Baylor Bears arrested on felony stalking charge

Let's focus on the institutional developments, if you will. The strategies all sound like a brainstorm out of PR 202...devise any plan to take any attention away from the main jist of the matter in order mis-direct, slow down and/or exhaust the issue.

- North Carolina is doing everything, from procedural and technical, to offering up sacrificial lambs to veer attention away from the lack of institutional control. And, if they can pull off the next step until 2017, they get in seasons of football and basketball.

- Tennessee's AD is now going to be a champion, primarily as part of trying to put the best face on a court settlement that school agreed to over lack of compliance/effort in Title IX policies. OK, Dave Hart, let's go right to the top. How about making sure you clean the basement first and make sure everything is ok there before getting on the roof and preaching?

- And Baylor now wants to have all the assistant coaches still left ensure the team performs at all cylinders while putting on zip tape over their mouths so they won't be held liable for anything that happened off the the field.

It really does not get any better on the normal sports pages with Olympic boss Thomas Bosch and the technocrats of the IOC pointing fingers and saying "it is not their responsibility or fault" to make sure the games they run are done so in a drug-free manner. Darn that group we fund and set up to divert attention.

OK, now for the sunny day...
- it's really nice and not humid in the northeast for the first time in ages.
- ND got it's first commitment from a young woman that I've read nothing but good things about
- Geno will do a great job with a great bunch of players in the Olympic Tournament
and I'm hitting the beach for a week come Friday with all members of the family.

Keep the faith...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What if UNC ensured there was at least one non-student-athlete in those classes just so if they were ever caught they could say it was open to all students and thus bypass any NCAA violations?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

i tried.jpg

Reaction Score
If UConn was punished with a year ban, in part due a rule that didn't exist when the supposed infraction occurred, UNC's widespread academic fraud for athletes in men's basketball and football (sorry, don't just blame the scapegoat women's basketball team) should face a multiyear ban, loss of scholarships, vacated wins and vacated championships. Cunningham should be gone, Roy Williams should be gone. This is an embarrassment. The tail (UNC athletics) is wagging the dog here. Come on NCAA, the punishment needs to fit the crime, and major crimes were committed and frankly, extra penalties should be levied for the sole reason that UNC doesn't even think it deserves to be punished by the NCAA. How can you expect someone to change if they don't really even acknowledge its anything more than an " academic accreditation" issue?

Reaction Score
I am shocked at the brashness of UNC. I mean this is an academic scandal that athletes benefited from, therefore it's both an academic AND athletic issue. If this isn't a problem, then why even have eligibility standards in the first place? Why shouldn't other schools be allowed to set-up a similar operation that went on at North Carolina if that isn't punishable according to the NCAA? Just get enough non-athletes to enroll in the fake courses and you can argue that they weren't set-up with the intent to keep student-athletes eligible... you know, The Carolina Way! UNC has a lot of nerve.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I am shocked at the brashness of UNC. I mean this is an academic scandal that athletes benefited from, therefore it's both an academic AND athletic issue. If this isn't a problem, then why even have eligibility standards in the first place? Why shouldn't other schools be allowed to set-up a similar operation that went on at North Carolina if that isn't punishable according to the NCAA? Just get enough non-athletes to enroll in the fake courses and you can argue that they weren't set-up with the intent to keep student-athletes eligible... you know, The Carolina Way! UNC has a lot of nerve.

Could UNC be maneuvering for something akin to an out-of-court settlement? Their stated defense is simply absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom