O/T: ESPN announces extension for Chris Berman on his 66th birthday | The Boneyard

O/T: ESPN announces extension for Chris Berman on his 66th birthday

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I know this topic is far off the beaten path of WCBB, but some of us are also football fans. I like Chris Berman and have been a fan of his for over 40 years. This was welcome news to me that I thought others might enjoy as well. Boomer is back!!! :D

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't do the podcast? but have generally listened to his "fastest 3 minutes" that is broadcast between Sunday night football.

Reaction Score
I know this topic is far off the beaten path of WCBB, but some of us are also football fans. I like Chris Berman and have been a fan of his for over 40 years. This was welcome news to me that I thought others might enjoy as well. Boomer is back!!! :D

He was part of my Sunday morning line up before football games as a teen. At the time, TSN had a great set up. The ESPN Sports Reporters show at 10:00, their "version" of it at 10:30 (boring as heck), and then Sunday NFL Countdown to lead you into your Sunday NFL slate of games. Sterling Sharpe, Tom Jackson, Kenny Mayne, etc. was a great way to start the morning.

Even when I moved out to the west coast in the mid-90s, I made it a point to be up in time to watch. That wasn't easy either, especially after a heavy night of partying the Saturday night prior. ?

Carnac

Reaction Score
He was part of my Sunday morning line up before football games as a teen. At the time, TSN had a great set up. The ESPN Sports Reporters show at 10:00, their "version" of it at 10:30 (boring as heck), and then Sunday NFL Countdown to lead you into your Sunday NFL slate of games. Sterling Sharpe, Tom Jackson, Kenny Mayne, etc. was a great way to start the morning.

Even when I moved out to the west coast in the mid-90s, I made it a point to be up in time to watch. That wasn't easy either, especially after a heavy night of partying the Saturday night prior. ?
I loved (watched it every week) the Sports Reporters show with Dick Schaap until he passed, then John Saunders until he passed. An easy show to watch. Very entertaining. Loved the rotating guests.

1621032193014.png

That's where I first saw (heard of) Tony Kornheiser. I became a "little", and still listen to his podcasts (iHeart radio) today. First episode date: October 2, 1988 - Final episode date: May 7, 2017.

Here's a full episode from Oct 20, 1995 from Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta).

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I loved (watched it every week) the Sports Reporters show with Dick Schaap until he passed, then John Saunders until he passed. An easy show to watch. Very entertaining. Loved the rotating guests.

View attachment 67449

That's where I first saw (heard of) Tony Kornheiser. I became a "little", and still listen to his podcasts (iHeart radio) today. First episode date: October 2, 1988 - Final episode date: May 7, 2017.

Here's a full episode from Oct 20, 1995 from Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta).

How OT - but yes, loved Sports Reporters. I don't do podcasts but watch PTI faithfully.

We started watching Sports Reporters in the Saunders time.

Someone mentioned Kenny Mayne, loved his sense of humor. Leaving ESPN, they were reducing his workload like 15% or so and cutting his pay by IIRC over 50%. He says he was a victim of the salary cap. ESPN has issues, sadly.

Carnac

Reaction Score
How but yes, loved Sports Reporters. I don't do podcasts but watch PTI faithfully.

We started watching Sports Reporters in the Saunders time.

Someone mentioned Kenny Mayne, loved his sense of humor. Leaving ESPN, they were reducing his workload like 15% or so and cutting his pay by IIRC over 50%. He says he was a victim of the salary cap. ESPN has issues, sadly.
A lot of regular long time ESPN on camera personalities did not have there contracts renewed during that time. A lot of new people were hired at substantially lower salaries. Mina Kimes, Pablo Torre, Sarah Spain and Elle Duncan are a few of the players that replaced the old timers.

Reaction Score
A lot of regular long time ESPN on camera personalities did not have there contracts renewed during that time. A lot of new people were hired at substantially lower salaries. Mina Kimes, Pablo Torre, Sarah Spain and Elle Duncan are a few of the players that replaced the old timers.
I do enjoy the current roster that is in place but it is hard to see the personalities you grew up with being let go. In Mayne's case, I know it's about the money but it's really hard to see it happen. He's great for sports media in so many ways.

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
This stuff started years ago, unfortunately. I remember when they cut ties with the incredible David Aldridge and brought in Stephen A. instead.

I quit watching the studio shows including SportsCenter years ago. When my daughter was a baby (early 90s), I would watch SportsCenter for hours on end every morning. It's been at least a decade since I last watched SportsCenter. Didn't help that they largely ignore the Western US where all of my rooting interests are.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This stuff started years ago, unfortunately. I remember when they cut ties with the incredible David Aldridge and brought in Stephen A. instead.

I quit watching the studio shows including SportsCenter years ago. When my daughter was a baby (early 90s), I would watch SportsCenter for hours on end every morning. It's been at least a decade since I last watched SportsCenter. Didn't help that they largely ignore the Western US where all of my rooting interests are.
I don't watch Sportscenter and only did rarely "in the day". But I fast-forward through about 20 minutes most days to get PTI's "bonus segment" which generally occurs 20 to 25 minutes into the sportscenter following their show. From what I can see, talking heads giving inside scoops followed by more talking heads giving more inside scoops and prognostications and opinions. No interest. I like PTI partly because their opinions are interesting and it is a limited dose. Don't need any more than that.

Same reason I don't watch the endless NFL pre-game shows; we do watch the Fox halftime, that's it. For college football we don't watch pre-game or half-time.

Reaction Score

TSN broadcasts the ESPN daytime shows but I'm not a big fan of First Take. I can handle Stephen A in doses. Max Berman for some reason just grates my nerves.

I don't watch Sportscenter and only did rarely "in the day". But I fast-forward through about 20 minutes most days to get PTI's "bonus segment" which generally occurs 20 to 25 minutes into the sportscenter following their show. From what I can see, talking heads giving inside scoops followed by more talking heads giving more inside scoops and prognostications and opinions. No interest. I like PTI partly because their opinions are interesting and it is a limited dose. Don't need any more than that.

Same reason I don't watch the endless NFL pre-game shows; we do watch the Fox halftime, that's it. For college football we don't watch pre-game or half-time.
Have enjoyed watching PTI for decades. One of the things I look forward to after work.

I find their 2 - 6 pm slate enjoyable but maybe it's a generational/cultural thing. Growing up with ESPN as a teen in the 90s, a lot of the announcers were already in their mid-30s or older. I still loved watching them, but sometimes it was a bit over my head. Now it's a mix of personalities of what I grew up with along with those my age or younger. The conversations they have are the ones I do with my friends. I find them relatable.

Like Jalen and Jacoby for example. I was a fan of Jalen Rose as a teenager and continued to follow him throughout his career. Or former players like Kendal Perkins and Ryan Clark. There's something that resonates with me when I'm watching them.

Carnac

Reaction Score

You aren't missing much. I don't watch it that much now either. I only care about NFL football, WNBA and WCBB. There's also way too many commercials now during a 60 minute episode.

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
I have almost entirely given up on men's sports these days even though I used to be a huge fan of NCAA MBB, NCAA FB, the NBA and MLB. May start watching Arizona MBB again now that Sean Miller is gone, but my attention is almost entirely on female athletes. No reason for me to watch ESPN most of the time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom