NYT Article (1/23) on Kiah Stokes in Turkey -- Safety Concerns | The Boneyard

NYT Article (1/23) on Kiah Stokes in Turkey -- Safety Concerns

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I wish I could provide a link to this article, which appears in the print edition of the New York Times of today (1/23). I can find it online but for some reason I can't harvest a link to it. But if you go to nytimes.com and search for "Kiah Stokes", you will find it.

The main theme of the article is that Kiah is one of a number of WNBA players who are exposing themselves to safety risks by playing in Turkey and other hot spots to supplement their WNBA salary. The WNBA has recognized the problem and has taken steps to assure that players can reach the WNBA office at any time if they are in a dangerous situation. Apparently Jayne Appel now has an administrative job at WNBA headquarters, and is heading up this effort.

The article noted that Sugar Rodgers returned to Virginia from Turkey because of safety concerns, and that extra police protection has been provided for transportation to and from games.

As with most Times articles on women's basketball, it is very much worth a read.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have friends in Turkey whom I worry about. A handful of us were there for the women's FIBA World Cup in 2014. There have been major terrorist bombings in 2 locations where we were. It's very scary. Additionally, the government has taken a turn for the worst.

Reaction Score
Stef played in Turkey, 2-3 years ago I believe. It's not worth the money. I'd like to add that Kia is a great person.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Isn't the murder rate higher in Chicago than Istanbul?
I rather die on my own soil where I can have a proper burial.... and in Chicago they hit their intended target (most of the time) the shrapnel from those vest do not have names on them.

Stokes would be better off working at McDonalds for $10.10 an hour and going to the Y on Albany Avenue to stay in shape

Reaction Score
I rather die on my own soil where I can have a proper burial.... and in Chicago they hit their intended target (most of the time) the shrapnel from those vest do not have names on them.

Stokes would be better off working at McDonalds for $10.10 an hour and going to the Y on Albany Avenue to stay in shape
For me dead is dead - why not do something you love, and is enhancing your lifestyle, as long as the risk isn't any greater? Anyway, I think it's about knowing your way around. In the late '90's there was an ATM in Frog Hollow with a ~50% survival rate for those who didn't know any better than to walk up to it.

So McD's is paying $10.10 now? If EDD sits out a year maybe she should check that out.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Isn't the murder rate higher in Chicago than Istanbul?
I'm not sure any stats on Istanbul are accurate, so it's hard to say. Chicago does have a major crime problem. All lives matter, but I think I'm more at risk in tourist areas of Istanbul than in tourist areas of Chicago. Going into the projects in Chicago is not smart, nor is walking down the back alleys in rough parts of Istanbul. I'm more of a target in Sultanahmet than on Michigan Avenue.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
For me dead is dead - why not do something you love, and is enhancing your lifestyle, as long as the risk isn't any greater? Anyway, I think it's about knowing your way around. In the late '90's there was an ATM in Frog Hollow with a ~50% survival rate for those who didn't know any better than to walk up to it.

So McD's is paying $10.10 now? If EDD sits out a year maybe she should check that out.
I rather die in Frog Hollow at an ATM knowing the risk, than in Turkey unaware of the risk!

enhance your lifestyle by going to Greece, China or a more stable area of the world (basketball isn't everything lol)

I applaud whomever packed their bags and "bounced"

(edit) McDonalds wages may be even higher than I posted $10.10 and reaching for $15.00 per

lets say EDD makes $100k in the W (4 months)... she cant live off that. Of course she can.

Stokes make 40K for 4 months... she cant live off that? geesh these basketball players are spoiled

I do understand robbing these foreign leagues of their money tho... but there are risk!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom