NY Times: Conference snub hurts UCONN | The Boneyard

NY Times: Conference snub hurts UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
I'll take the NY times opinion over ESPN and all the other "experts" any day! Definite post championship mojo over here!

Reaction Score
It hurts, but it doesn't hurt as much as last night's game felt good. After all the negativity of CR, and fans of lesser programs coming to tell us why they are so superiour, the bullspit with the APR, which seems like an ever changing line in the sand, last night was vindication. A veteran laden team taking out a bunch of one and done types, who are probably all good kids, but not what college sports should be about. At least our exclusion is getting spoken about with the same amazement we have had.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Very good and fair article. We've always been told that Rutgers got the B1G invite because they have been playing D1 football for 100 years (albeit as the conference doormat). Maybe AAU had something to do with it. Maybe being a contiguous state to PA. But if the B1G wants New York City, it's obvious to anyone that UCONN is the team. Not Rutgers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't appreciate the "scandal ridden" and "stench" comments at all. Those are ignorant and based on a lack of understanding. There was never an academic problem, just a cluster of players who created a one time situation, which coincided with a rule change by the NCAA raising the APR standards and then, when we won a title despite them, adding a new penalty retroactively. There is a scandal in all of that, and none of it comes from UConn or Calhoun, it comes from corrupt dealing at the NCAA. It's sad that this othewise fine reporting is flawed by this blunder.

Reaction Score
Did the title of the article change after it was posted? The link says "hurts" while the title on NYT now says "haunt".

We may feel hurt, but it is the ACC that will be haunted for years for not taking us after we get our B1G invitation.

Reaction Score
It is definitely lack of AAU membership. If that happens and it should, I think the B1G will call. Both the ACC and the B1G has heard the NYC market loud and clear during our run. We'll get a call. (and like a broken record, I'll say again - I hope it's the B1G!)

Reaction Score
There was never an academic problem, just a cluster of players who created a one time situation, which coincided with a rule change by the NCAA

Hawk, as I often tell my kids, lets not deceive ourselves. We had a large academic problem and our graduation rates were extemely low. The fact that heading early to the NBA counted against us is no solace. Other schools were similarly affected. This article is a pretty good look at the problem. The key is we are correcting it. There's no way that Pres Herbst would have let that problem fester had she been here. With WM and KO in command, academic performance should now be a shining star for us moving forward.

UConn Men's Basketball Scores An 8 Percent Graduation Rate
October 24, 2013|By DOM AMORE, damore@courant.com, The Hartford Courant

The graduation numbers continue to be low for the UConn men's basketball program. In figures released by the NCAA on Thursday, UConn scored an 8 percent graduation success rate for players who entered school between 2003 and 2006 — far below the national average of 74 percent in the sport. This period involves 12 players, only one of whom graduated, and most of whom went on to play professional basketball.The GSR is determined by allowing athletes a six-year window from the time they enter school to graduate, and is measured for a four-year period. Players who entered the program in 2003 had until 2009, for instance.

UConn's averages have been dropping each year, from 25 percent two years ago, to 11 percent last year, to 8 percent, the result of sub-par academic performances in the middle of the past decade. The numbers figure to improve as students entering later are counted, as UConn has continuously scored better on its Academics Progress Rate, including a perfect 1,000 for the last academic year. Current players began in 2010 or later.

There is no penalty for low graduation success rate. UConn did have to sit out the 2012-13 postseason because of sub-standard APR scores. "The academic improvement that our men's basketball program has made over the past three years in the NCAA's Academic Progress Rate has been well documented," athletic director Warde Manuel said in a prepared statement. "Our team has earned three outstanding scores in a row, including a perfect 1,000 for the 2012-13 academic year, which will be officially announced by the NCAA this summer.

"The student-athletes, coaching staff and support staff for our men's basketball team deserve a tremendous amount of credit for the work that has been achieved in the classroom over the past three years. The Graduation Success Rate scores released by the NCAA on Thursday are based on incoming students from six to 10 years ago. We expect our GSR rate to improve over time and reflect our recent APR success."

But for now, UConn's mid-2000s graduation rates count and they are among the lowest in the nation. Chicago State and Arkansas-Fayetteville scored 10 percent. Only Centenary College of Louisiana scored lower than UConn — a zero — in the most recent figures. Using the same formula, national champion Louisville's GSR in men's basketball was 70 percent. The national average in men's basketball of 74 percent was up from 68 percent a year ago.

"I'm pretty confident [the increase] is a reflection of athletic administrators and coaches making sure their athletes remain eligible and stick with academic programs," NCAA President Mark Emmert said. "We've implemented a system of rewards and penalties to keep APR scores going up. This is the kind of jump you hope you would have."

The national average for student-athletes in all sports was 82 percent.

UConn's performance in other sports was much better — 80 percent overall, including 92 in women's basketball, 65 in football, and 100 percent in six sports.

Coach Kevin Ollie, who joined the staff in 2010 and became head coach last September, played at UConn from 1991-95 and earned his degree in four years. Speaking in Hartford at a luncheon for the Governor's Prevention Partnership, a group of mentors to young people, Ollie stressed the importance of earning a degree. "I had a goal," he said. "I wanted to do something different, I wanted to earn a degree."

Reaction Score
I don't appreciate the "scandal ridden" and "stench" comments at all. Those are ignorant and based on a lack of understanding. There was never an academic problem, just a cluster of players who created a one time situation, which coincided with a rule change by the NCAA raising the APR standards and then, when we won a title despite them, adding a new penalty retroactively. There is a scandal in all of that, and none of it comes from UConn or Calhoun, it comes from corrupt dealing at the NCAA. It's sad that this othewise fine reporting is flawed by this blunder.

Saved me the ink. Ignorant comments.

Reaction Score
If I was UConn I would give the AAC a chance. The hell with all of these other conferences that didn't give a crap about us. Give the AAC time to mature and make rivalries. There can be many of them such as UCF vs. USF; Houston vs. SMU; Cincinnati vs. Memphis; Navy vs. East Carolina. With the conference needing another football school and UMass needing a new home since they are leaving the MAC in two years then maybe they can be a fit for the AAC. This would give UConn a natural rivalry against UMass. What we need is time. Do any of you actually think the the ACC, SEC, Big 10 are going to stand pact with 14 teams? I don't think so. Hopefully all of the AAC teams stick together. The SEC and Big 10 are going to steal teams eventually. I would love to see the SEC steal both Virgina schools from the ACC. Then have the Big 10 steal Iowa State and west Virginia from the Big 12. It would be great. Just thoughts of mine.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hawk, as I often tell my kids, lets not deceive ourselves. We had a large academic problem and our graduation rates were extemely low. The fact that heading early to the NBA counted against us is no solace. Other schools were similarly affected. This article is a pretty good look at the problem. The key is we are correcting it. There's no way that Pres Herbst would have let that problem fester had she been here. With WM and KO in command, academic performance should now be a shining star for us moving forward.

The graduation numbers continue to be low for the UConn men's basketball program. In figures released by the NCAA on Thursday, UConn scored an 8 percent graduation success rate for players who entered school between 2003 and 2006 — far below the national average of 74 percent in the sport. This period involves 12 players, only one of whom graduated, and most of whom went on to play professional basketball.The GSR is determined by allowing athletes a six-year window from the time they enter school to graduate, and is measured for a four-year period. Players who entered the program in 2003 had until 2009, for instance.

UConn's averages have been dropping each year, from 25 percent two years ago, to 11 percent last year, to 8 percent, the result of sub-par academic performances in the middle of the past decade. The numbers figure to improve as students entering later are counted, as UConn has continuously scored better on its Academics Progress Rate, including a perfect 1,000 for the last academic year. Current players began in 2010 or later.

There is no penalty for low graduation success rate. UConn did have to sit out the 2012-13 postseason because of sub-standard APR scores. "The academic improvement that our men's basketball program has made over the past three years in the NCAA's Academic Progress Rate has been well documented," athletic director Warde Manuel said in a prepared statement. "Our team has earned three outstanding scores in a row, including a perfect 1,000 for the 2012-13 academic year, which will be officially announced by the NCAA this summer.

"The student-athletes, coaching staff and support staff for our men's basketball team deserve a tremendous amount of credit for the work that has been achieved in the classroom over the past three years. The Graduation Success Rate scores released by the NCAA on Thursday are based on incoming students from six to 10 years ago. We expect our GSR rate to improve over time and reflect our recent APR success."

But for now, UConn's mid-2000s graduation rates count and they are among the lowest in the nation. Chicago State and Arkansas-Fayetteville scored 10 percent. Only Centenary College of Louisiana scored lower than UConn — a zero — in the most recent figures. Using the same formula, national champion Louisville's GSR in men's basketball was 70 percent. The national average in men's basketball of 74 percent was up from 68 percent a year ago.

"I'm pretty confident [the increase] is a reflection of athletic administrators and coaches making sure their athletes remain eligible and stick with academic programs," NCAA President Mark Emmert said. "We've implemented a system of rewards and penalties to keep APR scores going up. This is the kind of jump you hope you would have."

UConn's performance in other sports was much better — 80 percent overall, including 92 in women's basketball, 65 in football, and 100 percent in six sports.

Coach Kevin Ollie, who joined the staff in 2010 and became head coach last September, played at UConn from 1991-95 and earned his degree in four years. Speaking in Hartford at a luncheon for the Governor's Prevention Partnership, a group of mentors to young people, Ollie stressed the importance of earning a degree. "I had a goal," he said. "I wanted to do something different, I wanted to earn a degree."

I don't pretend it was perfect, or admirable. Graduation rates suck, and that's a separate problem. But APR? APR is garbage stat to begin with. It means nothing. And it did take a raising of the requirement at the exact time that we had a very troubled situation with several players, lowering our APR. It's not as if anything akin to the UNC scandal ever happened at UConn. In fact, it's much the opposite. Because we don't pass kids though without doing the academic work, we are tarnished. It paints an inaccurate picture, and I thought that the references in this piece painted an inaccurate picture. Because UConn upheld high standards, even for athletes, many of them failed those standards.

I hope that Kevin will be selective in recruiting and try to find kids who can succeed here academically as well as athletically. If there is a failing on Calhoun it may be that he lost sight of that.

Reaction Score
If I was UConn I would give the AAC a chance. The hell with all of these other conferences that didn't give a crap about us. Give the AAC time to mature and make rivalries. There can be many of them such as UCF vs. USF; Houston vs. SMU; Cincinnati vs. Memphis; Navy vs. East Carolina. With the conference needing another football school and UMass needing a new home since they are leaving the MAC in two years then maybe they can be a fit for the AAC. This would give UConn a natural rivalry against UMass. What we need is time. Do any of you actually think the the ACC, SEC, Big 10 are going to stand pact with 14 teams? I don't think so. Hopefully all of the AAC teams stick together. The SEC and Big 10 are going to steal teams eventually. I would love to see the SEC steal both Virgina schools from the ACC. Then have the Big 10 steal Iowa State and west Virginia from the Big 12. It would be great. Just thoughts of mine.
Some of this makes no sense.
You think it would be good for the AAC to ass UMass?
This would only drop the FB profile of the conference down even more. ECU is a much better choice for FB strength. Their fans support the program and they are located in a much better recruiting area.
Why would the SEC take both Virginia schools?
Seems like they would just want 1. IF FSU isn't worth doubling up in Florida why in the heck would they want 2 teams in Virginia. The only way I could see the SEC doubling up would be Duke and UNC.
Why would the B1G take ISU and WVU?
They already own Iowa, if you were going to double up in a state it sure as heck would not be Iowa.
WVU? are you not aware of academics, or population? I dont' see why the B1G would be interested in WVU at all.

Reaction Score
Virginia doesn't do anything without the other. Florida wants no part of FSU in the SEC. If the SEC were to take tabacoo road schools it would ask NC State and UNC. As for UMass they are making their football program bigger. Time is needed. Didn't UConn go through a growing period in football? As mentioned just a thought. In all honesty though I think that the AAC jumped to quickly to add teams. If they would have thought about it for a while I doubt the ECU, Navy and Tulane would have been added. They are here and they are in good markets. Lets hope that the AAC sticks together for a while.

Reaction Score
Why isn't the stench of the UNC/ncaa travesty mentioned in the article. It leads one to believe that UCONN is the only top university to run afoul of the ncaa and its rules. Emmerit was getting back at the Huskies for being run out of town for his own indiscretions while he was here. How does UNC escape the under the microscope view of the ncaa?

Reaction Score

Absolutely not!

For myriad reasons the AAC doesn't work and our efforts to get out must be relentless. Let's start with travel burdens, media payout, cultural differences with other members, lack of consistent competition and being frozen out by the P-5 conferences. This should a day to celebrate, not to try justify the perpetuation of the most insulting, ridiculous slight in conference realignment. NFW, do we sit still. Parenthetically, I don't think we'll have to for much longer anyways.

Reaction Score
any full membership P5 offer should obviously be accepted right away...

.....but as far as competition on the football field or basketball court goes, the AAC is a quality league and will get better. SMU might very well be better next year than any ACC basketball team and I have no doubt that Kelvin Sampson will return Houston to top 25 status. One thing I like about the AAC teams is that they are all hungry to improve, that wasn't always the case with the C7.

Reaction Score
It's a proud day for the tradition of excellence across intercollegiate athletics in the long and storied history of the American Athletic Conference.

BCS bowl win. Check.
Men's Bball national championship. Check.
Men's NCAA tournament credits. Check
Women's NCAA Bball national championship. TBD tonight.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's a proud day for the tradition of excellence across intercollegiate athletics in the long and storied history of the American Athletic Conference.

BCS bowl win. Check.
Men's Bball national championship. Check.
Men's NCAA tournament credits. Check
Women's NCAA Bball national championship. TBD tonight.

Pretty impressive for the league to potentially win both basketball championships in the first year of its existence. That being the case, we can't get out soon enough.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The Conference has been around since 1979. Only the stationary is new. The membership compared to what it was at the bitter end of the last regime is an improvement in quality.

Reaction Score
The Conference has been around since 1979. Only the stationary is new. The membership compared to what it was at the bitter end of the last regime is an improvement in quality.

Yup, the AAC is in fact Dave Gavitt's miracle working basketball conference. We are still in possession of the Holy Grail.

Reaction Score
We're not going anywhere until somebody comes to our side of the dance floor and asks us to dance, so we're here until an official announcement comes from somebody official, so embrace it.

The football conference will get it's chance to develop, and us with it. There are strong programs coming in, stronger than the programs that have left us. The AAC has something that already in our first year, that many conferences never got, and some had abysmal records with - and that's a BCS bowl game win. The BCS is no longer, and we don't have the easy road to access now - but there is no reason to think the conference will not be able to produce competitors and winners in the new post season format.

Basketball? There is a divide in the conference, that needs to be bridged top to bottom. But what UCONN was able to do in the past month, will make it develop faster - much faster into a strong league because of one word - RECRUITING. The women's program is a 25 year case study in how a single, successful program helps elevate other programs around them. Notre Dame women's basketball is what it is - because of UCONN. I hope we knock them down tonight.

Reaction Score
Your comments don't take into account the Nate Miles/over-texting violations. While the "stench" comment might be a little over the top, the fact of the matter is that UConn did have some issues to rectify. The best part is that the new leadership has made these adjustments and we are succeeding (as evident from last night) at a very high level!

Reaction Score

GSR is a joke. You are being fooled.

USF's GSR is 88%.

Actual grad rate? 0%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members