NY Times - After Helping Her Husband Gain Freedom, Maya Moore Savors Her Own | The Boneyard

NY Times - After Helping Her Husband Gain Freedom, Maya Moore Savors Her Own

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Another highlight: Watching the Connecticut women’s basketball team, which Moore led to national titles in 2009 and 2010, play in this year’s N.C.A.A. tournament.
“Oh man, she’s into it!” Irons said. “She’s up there shouting, calling the players by their nicknames!”
Moore leaned toward him, a look of embarrassment spreading across her face. “Nobody needs to know that!”

Lol.

#Huskyforever

Reaction Score
"They want children. When? Moore, a Christian, says she will leave that up to God."

God please gives Maya a daughter and a boy so they can play in UConn basketball teams.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Another highlight: Watching the Connecticut women’s basketball team, which Moore led to national titles in 2009 and 2010, play in this year’s N.C.A.A. tournament.
“Oh man, she’s into it!” Irons said. “She’s up there shouting, calling the players by their nicknames!”
Moore leaned toward him, a look of embarrassment spreading across her face. “Nobody needs to know that!”

Lol.

#Huskyforever
Beyond this quote, the detail that impressed me was that she and her husband cherished, among other new experiences of freedom after his imprisonment, "Playing Frisbee. Hiking. Exploring Atlanta in Moore's 2006 Honda Civic."

After all the financial success that I am sure Maya experienced, the fact that she is still driving a 15-year-old car, which she must have bought used, says a lot about the values which guide her life. Obviously material wealth, and the manifestations of that, are not high on her priority list. Bravo to her!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
It sounds like she is happy with her life...good for her.

Question: assume that Maya never plays basketball again [hope that is not the case].

Is she a Hall of Famer? What say you?

Women's HOF in Nashville...yes for sure.
Hall of Fame in Springfield, Ma....not as sure but yes. Combine her college play at UConn and an excellent[albeit somewhat limited] WNBAcareer...she gets in.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Still not convinced he was innocent. However, if he was guilty, I think 23 years was enough. Probably more than enough. I do hope for Maya's sake he has turned over a new leaf. Best of luck to them.

(still wish she still playing basketball, but that's just me being selfish)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
HOF isn't always just about playing, but also the person. I think what she has done as a player will get her in, but what she has done on the social justice front will only enhance her legacy as a Hall of Fame candidate.

Reaction Score
It sounds like she is happy with her life...good for her.

Question: assume that Maya never plays basketball again [hope that is not the case].

Is she a Hall of Famer? What say you?

Women's HOF in Nashville...yes for sure.
Hall of Fame in Springfield, Ma....not as sure but yes. Combine her college play at UConn and an excellent[albeit somewhat limited] WNBAcareer...she gets in.

There is NO doubt she belongs in the Hall. It would be a complete travesty if she didn't

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and if you need room, start removing some of next years men's awardee's ;)

Reaction Score
Indeed, this woman Maya, very much indeed. She and Gabby are my preferred dinner guests posted in another thread. Even if I did nothing but sit and listen to both of them and bathe in their auras, it would be exhilarating. But I wouldn't miss the opportunity to at least ask leading questions.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
and if you need room, start removing some of next years men's awardee's ;)
GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

Reaction Score
Still not convinced he was innocent. However, if he was guilty, I think 23 years was enough. Probably more than enough. I do hope for Maya's sake he has turned over a new leaf. Best of luck to them.

(still wish she still playing basketball, but that's just me being selfish)
Not an attack, but Maya, through her families involvement with Jonathan Irons, first came to support his innocence while still at UCONN. Throughout her entire (to date!) stellar career with the Lynx she maintained that belief and through her commitment secured Jonathan's freedom. My assumption is that her romantic interests in him grew out of her deepening relationship over time not the other way around. Forgive me but I'll go with Maya's take and the vacating of his conviction by the courts, that Jonathan didn't need to 'turn over a new leaf' but rather deserved the opportunity to live a life of freedom after spending decades in jail after being falsely convicted.

I do, however, share your wish that she was still playing the game and agree that I do so for selfish reasons. In several threads I have spoken of the beauty of her game. Seeing her play the game is just a joy to behold. In my mind, there is no question as to whether Maya belongs in all the HOF's. I would be shocked if once she has finally finished playing the game ( whether that has happened already or sometime in the future) she was not enshrined in the HOF. She is truly one of the best that ever played, both collegiately and professionally.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not an attack, but Maya, through her families involvement with Jonathan Irons, first came to support his innocence while still at UCONN. Throughout her entire (to date!) stellar career with the Lynx she maintained that belief and through her commitment secured Jonathan's freedom. My assumption is that her romantic interests in him grew out of her deepening relationship over time not the other way around. Forgive me but I'll go with Maya's take and the vacating of his conviction by the courts, that Jonathan didn't need to 'turn over a new leaf' but rather deserved the opportunity to live a life of freedom after spending decades in jail after being falsely convicted.
That's fine, you can believe who you want. Just from what I've read about the case, I'm not convinced he was innocent. And he did definitely need to "turn over a new leaf", unless you think the drug trade is ok.

Reaction Score
That's fine, you can believe who you want. Just from what I've read about the case, I'm not convinced he was innocent. And he did definitely need to "turn over a new leaf", unless you think the drug trade is ok.
Did you read press reports only or did you make an effort to read the historical record of court submissions, including details of actual circumstances before and after the event, etc. - everything factually relevant to the case? Another way to look at it, of course, is the reverse and ultimately believe that the Court did the right thing: vacating the conviction to clear his name. Coincidentally, I am sure you underscored the 23 years because it is an auspicious number for Maya.

#12in21 is quite right in his assumption. As you know, Mr. Irons became friends with Maya when he was already in prison when family members made her aware of his case.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Did you read press reports only or did you make an effort to read the historical record of court submissions, including details of actual circumstances before and after the event, etc. - everything factually relevant to the case? Another way to look at it, of course, is the reverse and ultimately believe that the Court did the right thing: vacating the conviction to clear his name. Coincidentally, I am sure you underscored the 23 years because it is an auspicious number for Maya.

#12in21 is quite right in his assumption. As you know, Mr. Irons became friends with Maya when he was already in prison when family members made her aware of his case.
I have never been able to find all the details of this case. Specifically, what was the basis for accusing him in the first place? I understand he was 16 a the time, so I would hope he has changed now that he is forty. Also, it seems that the police made quite a few mistakes in this case. But that does not mean innocence.

BTW, I just watched 20/20 where Scott Peterson's family still believe he is innocent of killing his pregnant wife, and are trying to get a retrial. ( Scott has been incarcerated for 18 years.) I believe he is guilty, but I have a lot of questions. Personally, I believe I would be much better ( and happier) on a Grand Jury, where I was allowed to ask questions, as opposed to a criminal jury, where I had to decide, beyond a reasonable doubt, the guilt or innocence of another human being.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Hey I still drive a 2004 Civic.

Where do you draw the line between humility and just plain cheap? (Maybe at 2005?) :rolleyes:
I'd be right on the cusp then (2005 Frontier).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just from what I've read about the case, I'm not convinced he was innocent.
One of the wonderful things about our legal standards of criminal justice, at least in theory, is it matters not one whit whether the court — and much less, you — can be "convinced" of his innocence. The burden of proof is wholly on the accusers.

When the police and prosecutors have felt the need to resort to misconduct in order to secure a conviction, then that means he shouldn't have been tried, much less convicted, in the first place.

Luckily, neither Mr. Irons nor Maya Moore care about the predictable naysayers who, while chirping their doubts over "innocence", disregard the official misconduct without which the case would never have proceeded in the first place.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No, I did not read everything. I did read quite a bit though. Including a very well done article from a lawyer going over the case. Granted it came down to mostly circumstantial evidence. And I'm not saying that the trial was fair or that he should have been convicted (and he shouldn't have gotten 50 years). However, I think more than likely, he probably did do it.

There are lots of guilty people who are free because there wasn't enough evidence to convict them. OJ wasn't convicted, but I'm pretty damn sure he did it.

And I realize, Maya and Irons don't care at all what I think. My concern is more for Maya, possibly married to a man who duped her. But again, hopefully, he's not the same man he was. And hopefully, they have a wonderful life.

Reaction Score
No, I did not read everything. I did read quite a bit though. Including a very well done article from a lawyer going over the case. Granted it came down to mostly circumstantial evidence. And I'm not saying that the trial was fair or that he should have been convicted (and he shouldn't have gotten 50 years). However, I think more than likely, he probably did do it.

There are lots of guilty people who are free because there wasn't enough evidence to convict them. OJ wasn't convicted, but I'm pretty damn sure he did it.

And I realize, Maya and Irons don't care at all what I think. My concern is more for Maya, possibly married to a man who duped her. But again, hopefully, he's not the same man he was. And hopefully, they have a wonderful life.
On the flip side, there are probably just as many, if not more, who are innocent but in jail because of any number of manipulations by those who enforce the law. And, they have no hope of ever getting their sentences commuted or overturned.

And, using OJ as an example doesn't automatically cast Irons in the same category. But each of minds work in different ways....

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
On the flip side, there are probably just as many, if not more, who are innocent but in jail because of any number of manipulations by those who enforce the law. And, they have no hope of ever getting their sentences commuted or overturned.

And, using OJ as an example doesn't automatically cast Irons in the same category. But each of minds work in different ways....
Unfortunately, you couldn't possibly be more wrong!

Police solve just 2% of all major crimes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom