NY Time weighs in: East v. West | The Boneyard

NY Time weighs in: East v. West

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Over 24 years, Stanford made 11 Final Fours. And all the other West Coast teams combined for NONE. That changed with Cal, then Washington and Oregon State, then Oregon.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The budget problems at the Times have become so severe that they're left with only one Time.
Umm, not one of your better witticisms but hey, “if at first you don’t succeed, those here on the BY will tell you!”..:D

Reaction Score
Interesting that this is about the money. Points out that the Pac-12 network gave them visibility, while lots of revenues helped other schools upgrade their programs.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
So this is possibly the most interesting snippet from that article:

VanDerveer thinks the shift began with greater exposure delivered by the Pac-12 Networks, the conference’s array of national and regional TV channels.

Mary Murphy, an analyst for the networks who coached at Wisconsin and Cal State-Hayward, said the exposure had an almost immediate effect on recruiting. She pointed out that several Pac-12 universities, including Arizona State and Oregon State, had improved their women’s athletic facilities since the networks launched in 2012.

On my Stanford board, there's probably like 80% hate/20% love for the PAC-12 Network. As an East Coaster, I can very confidently say my interest in Stanford sports increased dramatically once I could watch every Stanford men's and women's basketball games "on TV" (slash on Sling). Prior to that, I only got WCBB games against teams like UConn and Tenn (more than half of which we lost), and almost no conference games.

Fascinating that, at least for WCBB, PAC-12 network has been considered a boon. I've always thought so, but I've always seemed to be in a distinct minority.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Fascinating that, at least for WCBB, PAC-12 network has been considered a boon. I've always thought so, but I've always seemed to be in a distinct minority.

It's certainly better than the old days of Fox Sports NW (for me) with very few games being broadcast, and some of those weren't live, and you never knew when they would show the game. Game times sometimes aren't ideal, especially for fans that are actually attending the games. I think it's really hurt attendance for VB throughout the conference, but apparently the trade off is worth it for exposure on TV.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Teams from the PAC 12 play weak non conference schedule so I’m not impressed

Most teams play weak non conference schedules. Really no different than most of the programs in the other P5 conferences.

Reaction Score
NY Time not known for astute sports coverage. They should stick to the book review.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Teams from the PAC 12 play weak non conference schedule so I’m not impressed
I suspect it is hard to get teams to travel to West Coast due to cost and time for back and forth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom