OT: NY Giants TV | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: NY Giants TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks 25 nice idea.

My first thought is to hammer on them with emails and get some answers although I doubt I can make an impact in that way!

You want an answer beyond people don't want to watch a 3-10 team play a 4-9 team?

Washington actually quit. You didn't miss much.

Reaction Score
You want an answer beyond people don't want to watch a 3-10 team play a 4-9 team?

Washington actually quit. You didn't miss much.

Yes I do. Because I'm a Giants fan and I still want to watch them Pretty simple right, either you're a fan or you're not!

Plus I like watching what may turn out to be the best receiver in the NFL play, he's a joy to watch!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes I do. Because I'm a Giants fan and I still want to watch them Pretty simple right, either you're a fan or you're not!

Plus I like watching what may turn out to be the best receiver in the NFL play, he's a joy to watch!

I'm a Giants fan as well. And I understand Western NY and Vermont being legacy Giants country.

Sports have changed. You see the same teams on National TV for a reason.

The Giants are a demographic nightmare in New England. The fans who grew up like us only wanting to watch their team aren't in a key demographic anymore. The NFL is about fantasy and stars. Cleveland went to 50% of the country off a QB change for a reason....

Geography used to be the driver - kids today don't have to choose between the Giants and Patriots (or Jets), you can be a fan of any NFL team. Just read this board - more people post here from outside Connecticut than within.

Reaction Score
I'm a Giants fan as well. And I understand Western NY and Vermont being legacy Giants country.

Sports have changed. You see the same teams on National TV for a reason.

The Giants are a demographic nightmare in New England. The fans who grew up like us only wanting to watch their team aren't in a key demographic anymore. The NFL is about fantasy and stars. Cleveland went to 50% of the country off a QB change for a reason....

Geography used to be the driver - kids today don't have to choose between the Giants and Patriots (or Jets), you can be a fan of any NFL team. Just read this board - more people post here from outside Connecticut than within.

I get that. This isn't about what the pulse is now, I'm just wondering why they changed it after living here for 24 years and it never happening EVER? Fantasy and demographics didn't suddenly occur 3-4 weeks ago!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I get that. This isn't about what the pulse is now, I'm just wondering why they changed it after living here for 24 years and it never happening EVER? Fantasy and demographics didn't suddenly occur 3-4 weeks ago!

It's never happened there in 24 years? When the Giants beat the undefeated Broncos in 1998 it wasn't on in Hartord because they picked the Patriots game.

It's happened more than a few times since then where Fox 61 had to choose between the Giants and Patriots and they picked the Pats.

Fantasy and demographics obviously didn't become an issue 3 weeks ago - but sooner or later you hit the tipping point. In 2014 it's a minority that wants to watch 3-10 against 4-9 because of geography.

The numbers don't exist but I'm sure more people watched Alabama/Missouri in Connecticut than SMU/UConn.

Reaction Score
The local affiliate is making the decision.

Once you get out of the territorial rules they can pick their game. That's how dozens of stations switched into the Browns game this week. Started at like 15% of the country and ended at 50%.

Is this true? When I was at UConn I emailed wfsb and asked about seeing a pats game instead of a Jets game and who made the decision as to which to air. The sports director said the NFL and national network have the final say though the local affiliate can request a game.

Also, the report I read last week said that it was Fox national not the affiliates who changed the distribution of the Cleveland game. They even rearranged their broadcast crews to reflect the change in distribution.

Reaction Score
It's never happened there in 24 years? When the Giants beat the undefeated Broncos in 1998 it wasn't on in Hartord because they picked the Patriots game.

It's happened more than a few times since then where Fox 61 had to choose between the Giants and Patriots and they picked the Pats.

Fantasy and demographics obviously didn't become an issue 3 weeks ago - but sooner or later you hit the tipping point. In 2014 it's a minority that wants to watch 3-10 against 4-9 because of geography.

The numbers don't exist but I'm sure more people watched Alabama/Missouri in Connecticut than SMU/UConn.

I said in the first post the only time the Giants aren't on is when the Pats are on the same time so i covered that. It's happens about once a year, so I go to Chicago Sams or something.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is this true? When I was at UConn I emailed wfsb and asked about seeing a pats game instead of a Jets game and who made the decision as to which to air. The sports director said the NFL and national network have the final say though the local affiliate can request a game.

Also, the report I read last week said that it was Fox national not the affiliates who changed the distribution of the Cleveland game. They even rearranged their broadcast crews to reflect the change in distribution.

It used to be a fairly simple equation. Take the local team. if they aren't playing take whatever 'national' teams are.

Fans aren't like they used to be. When teams stink most check out. It's not like the 70's where legions of Giants fans watched a terrible team religiously. Now the majority would rather watch a game that matters over teams with a combined 7-19 record.

Reaction Score
Got an email back from the local Springfield affiliate and they said it's all on FOX NFL, not locally but nationally!

Reaction Score
NFL sunday ticket, MLB extra innings and the sports pack on Direct TV made moving to NC great. I get to watch my Giants, Yankees and all Uconn games on SNY. Not cheap if you add up all the charges and fees, but I'm not struggling either. The alternative is Panthers, Braves and UNC/NC State/Duke/Wake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom