NY Daily News: Hoops schools meeting today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NY Daily News: Hoops schools meeting today

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BASKETBALL SCHOOLS SUCK!!!! BASKETBALL SCHOOLS SUCK!!!! BASKETBALL SCHOOLS SUCK!!!!!

Is it true now? This is one of the stupidest arguments ever. A collection of very successful basketball programs will add other successful programs and be a very successful conference. Comparing them to a league with St. Bonaventure and Duquesne is simply ignorant.

What matters for UConn is that there is a meaningful possibility that there is NO home for the football program at the end of this realignment, so it would be nice to have a place to put the basketball program. But it seems most posters here would rather make some point about Seton Hall basketball.

Reaction Score
Butler more of a fluke returning after a final appearance than as...Butler?
Butler didn't even win their conference outright. And they were an 8 seed as well. I don't think many people expected them to return to the Final Four. While it happens, it is pretty rare for 8 seeds to get to the Final Four.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
If you were right, how come there are so many more D1A basketball programs than football programs. The Big East (assuming that is what the hoops league is called) will do just fine without the football schools.

The bigger issue is that UConn's options are shrinking pretty quickly. Parking our hoops program in the Big East may not be an option for UConn if the ACC or Big 10 don't come through.

Simply because football costs a LOT more than FD1 hoops. The steep incline that Villanova faces (faced?) in regard
to an upgrade to D1 football is indicative of this.

Reaction Score
Simply because football costs a LOT more than FD1 hoops. The steep incline that Villanova faces (faced?) in regard
to an upgrade to D1 football is indicative of this.

On this Waylon is right. Let's assume UConn doesn't get an ACC or Big Ten invite (although I still think it will):

Remaining Football schools to basketball schools: "We need to add kansas, kansas state, iowa state and baylor so we have a football league that has a chance to keep a BCS berth."

Basketball schools: "No thank you."

Football schools: "Then we will have to leave to merge with them."

Basketball schools: "Have a nice life elsewhere."

This time, the ACC has killed the Big East as we know it. Either UConn gets an invite from a player or it joins this amalgamation that has little chance to work in the long run because everyone will have one foot out the door on opening day. And good luck recruiting into that conference.

But the point is, without abandoning football, which is not going to happen, there is no going back to the Big East.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
On this Waylon is right. Let's assume UConn doesn't get an ACC or Big Ten invite (although I still think it will):

Remaining Football schools to basketball schools: "We need to add kansas, kansas state, iowa state and baylor so we have a football league that has a chance to keep a BCS berth."

Basketball schools: "No thank you."

Football schools: "Then we will have to leave to merge with them."

Basketball schools: "Have a nice life elsewhere."

This time, the ACC has killed the Big East as we know it. Either UConn gets an invite from a player or it joins this amalgamation that has little chance to work in the long run because everyone will have one foot out the door on opening day. And good luck recruiting into that conference.

But the point is, without abandoning football, which is not going to happen, there is no going back to the Big East.

Spot on. Wherever we end up (ACC/B1G/leftovers), it should not and frankly cannot include the likes of Providence, St. John's, Depaul, etc. The BBall/Non-Bball split was and is a terrible idea.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It wasn't a terrible idea. It helped save the Big East's BCS bid 8 years ago.

My concern is the corner case where WVU and Rutgers find a seat and UConn doesn't, and the leftover league is merged into the MWC, without us. UConn is screwed in that situation because there would be no place for the basketball program.

Reaction Score

My concern is the corner case where WVU and Rutgers find a seat and UConn doesn't, and the leftover league is merged into the MWC, without us. UConn is screwed in that situation because there would be no place for the basketball program.

In what Universe does that happen? "merged into the MWC, without us" is so off-the-wall I'm not even sure how to counter.

Reaction Score
In what Universe does that happen? "merged into the MWC, without us" is so off-the-wall I'm not even sure how to counter.

We can discuss that when Nordenberg is arrested for breaching his fiduciary duties to the Big East confernece.

Reaction Score
What matters for UConn is that there is a meaningful possibility that there is NO home for the football program at the end of this realignment, so it would be nice to have a place to put the basketball program. But it seems most posters here would rather make some point about Seton Hall basketball.
i really can't imagine this happening. i think uconn is the third team for the 2 spots left in the ACC, with numbers 1 and 2 being texas and notre dame. i don't think there is any chance on texas, and very little on notre dame. however, even if for some reason notre dame did agree to the acc, i think uconn is still in as the other slot. more likely notre dame ends up in the big ten, in which case uconn is #15 and then rutgers or whoever is next. the biggest problem for uconn i think, is that it isn't clearly evident that notre dame's hand has been forced enough yet to align with a conference soon, as in now, to get the dominoes falling, and it doesn't appear as though the acc is going to go any further until notre dame is officially off the table and in the big ten. this obviously sucks for uconn depending on how long notre dame drags it out.

Reaction Score
i can't imagine the ACC really thinks there's any chance at all of ND joining. same for Texas, unless the ACC is willing to give big time concessions to either school. in reality Texas should just go independent.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The ACC can afford to wait. There is no need for them to make another move until they are absolutely certain NC and Texas will not join their conference. Only then will they decide on what their best options are. I think they will be the second conference to go to sixteen after the Pac 16. And they will have several options but most likely will try to keep the conference on the East Coast. So Rutgers, WV, UConn and Louisville will be their focus. UConn's chances are good, not great.

Reaction Score
i can't imagine the ACC really thinks there's any chance at all of ND joining. same for Texas, unless the ACC is willing to give big time concessions to either school. in reality Texas should just go independent.
Jim Calhoun mows Geno's front lawn before Notre Dame joins the ACC.

Reaction Score
The ACC can afford to wait. There is no need for them to make another move until they are absolutely certain NC and Texas will not join their conference. Only then will they decide on what their best options are. I think they will be the second conference to go to sixteen after the Pac 16. And they will have several options but most likely will try to keep the conference on the East Coast. So Rutgers, WV, UConn and Louisville will be their focus. UConn's chances are good, not great.

1. They risk losing Rutgers and UConn as possibilities if the Big Ten acts first. They risk losing Louisville and WV as possibilities if the SEC acts first. They have strengthened their position by being quick and decisive. I can't see them stopping now.

2. Apparently, WVU does not think it is a candidate to get into the ACC. If it isn't (whether it's academics or geography) it's hard to see how Louisville would be.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
1. They risk losing Rutgers and UConn as possibilities if the Big Ten acts first. They risk losing Louisville and WV as possibilities if the SEC acts first. They have strengthened their position by being quick and decisive. I can't see them stopping now.

2. Apparently, WVU does not think it is a candidate to get into the ACC. If it isn't (whether it's academics or geography) it's hard to see how Louisville would be.

Good points. BTW did you read the Boeheim article with his speech to the "Monday Morning Quarterback Club?

This quote from that article: "I think UConn will be in the ACC, if I had to guess," Boeheim said today during a speech at the Monday Morning Quarterback Club in Birmingham. "I think Rutgers could be. I think some people are thinking of leaving. ... Why would Florida State want to go to the SEC when you're in the ACC and you win banners? Doesn't make sense."

Since he was kept out of the loop in the past he may be just listening to rumors. Or he may now be in the loop and indicating a problem exists with FSU. Obviously things will play out and may reveal how FSU plays this conference alignment.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I hope FSU goes to the SEC with aTm and that is the only movement. Because then the ACC would need only one more team to get back to 14 (they aren't staying at 13), and then UConn is in.

Reaction Score
Good points. BTW did you read the Boeheim article with his speech to the "Monday Morning Quarterback Club?

This quote from that article: "I think UConn will be in the ACC, if I had to guess," Boeheim said today during a speech at the Monday Morning Quarterback Club in Birmingham. "I think Rutgers could be. I think some people are thinking of leaving. ... Why would Florida State want to go to the SEC when you're in the ACC and you win banners? Doesn't make sense."

Since he was kept out of the loop in the past he may be just listening to rumors. Or he may now be in the loop and indicating a problem exists with FSU. Obviously things will play out and may reveal how FSU plays this conference alignment.

I don't think boeheim knows anything other than how stupid this is. He said something like the following: if the Founding Fathers were made up of conference commissioners Guatamala, Uruguay and Argentina would be in the U.S.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

This is the nightmare scenario. What if that does happen? What would we do?

Reaction Score
This is the nightmare scenario. What if that does happen? What would we do?

There is no series of events that ends with UConn in the MWC, so why waste time worrying about it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is no series of events that ends with UConn in the MWC, so why waste time worrying about it.

There are rumors that Texas is still trying to keep Big 12 together, even after Oklahoma and Oklahoma State go. One way to do that would be to add Cincinnati, Louisville, USF, TCU and possibly WVU. I think this is unlikely, but possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom