Number of "standalone" national championships | The Boneyard

Number of "standalone" national championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If you count AIAW championships, the following teams have won more than one WCBB NC:

UConn (8)
Tennessee (8)
Louisiana Tech (3)
Old Dominion (3)
Immaculata (3)
Delta State (3)
Stanford (2)
Baylor (2)
USC (2)

Now, a national championship is a national championship, but there's a lot to be said for "standalone championships". What I mean by that is how many teams have you taken to the mountaintop that were, for all intents and purposes, completely distinct from one another. For example, Tennessee's 1987 and 1991 NC-winning teams bore no resemblance to each other. Now, the 1989 NC team had kids from both squads, and certainly the experience of winning the 1989 NC with the help of the older guard from 1987 probably helped them win one in 1991, but I still give Pat credit for two standalone championships from those five years.

With that in mind, how many standalone championships do the above programs have?

1. UConn- 5 (1995, 2000, 2003, 2009, 2013)
2. Tennessee- 4 (1987, 1991, 1996, 2007)
3. Louisiana Tech- 2 (1981, 1988)
3. Old Dominion- 2 (1979, 1985)
3. Baylor- 2 (2005, 2012)
6. Immaculata- 1 (1972)
6. Delta State- 1 (1975)
6. Stanford- 1 (1990)
6. USC- 1 (1983)

What does this tell us?

First and foremost, with this last NC, Geno officially took the lead in terms of standalone NCs. Yes, I am aware of the fact that Caroline Doty and Heather Buck were technically on the roster in 2009. However, with Buck a redshirt and Doty missing more than half of the season (including the BET and NCAA Tourney run), I'm going to go ahead and say that counts.

I hope people appreciate how impressive bringing five distinct teams to the mountaintop is. Red Auerbach and Phil Jackson didn't do it (granted, it's much harder to do it in the pros because there's less turnover, especially of cornerstone players). I'm not sure John Wooden did it (though he may have given that freshmen didn't play for much of his tenure). Other than Wooden on the men's side, Coach K, Bobby Knight, Adolph Rupp, and Jim Calhoun lead the way with three standalone championships each. And of course, Pat Summit did it four times.

Can Geno do it for a sixth time? It's possible, of course, but we'll have to wait for the 2016-17 season at least to find out.

One note: Mulkey's gotten some heat for the Louisville loss this season and a lot of heat for how she's handled the topic of gay players on her team. But the fact remains she's only coach other than Pat and Geno (maybe partial credit to Leon Barmore as well) with two standalone NCAA NCs. That has to count for something, doesn't it?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Interesting POV. I've thought of it in connection with Baylor, and think that feat is worth observing; nothing against giants like Tara, but 2 NCs that are stand alone is mroe impressive that two with overlapping rosters.

The Doty issue may cause some to discount one, but if you look at post season rosters, which is when the NC is won, it means there is no overlap.

Reaction Score
What does this tell us?
It tells me that someone has a little too much free time this summer.....

just kidding.

If you count AIAW championships, the following teams have won more than one WCBB NC:

UConn (8)
Tennessee (8)
Louisiana Tech (3)
Old Dominion (3)
Immaculata (3)
Delta State (3)
Stanford (2)
Baylor (2)
USC (2)

Now, a national championship is a national championship, but there's a lot to be said for "standalone championships". What I mean by that is how many teams have you taken to the mountaintop that were, for all intents and purposes, completely distinct from one another. For example, Tennessee's 1987 and 1991 NC-winning teams bore no resemblance to each other. Now, the 1989 NC team had kids from both squads, and certainly the experience of winning the 1989 NC with the help of the older guard from 1987 probably helped them win one in 1991, but I still give Pat credit for two standalone championships from those five years.

With that in mind, how many standalone championships do the above programs have?

1. UConn- 5 (1995, 2000, 2003, 2009, 2013)
2. Tennessee- 4 (1987, 1991, 1996, 2007)
3. Louisiana Tech- 2 (1981, 1988)
3. Old Dominion- 2 (1979, 1985)
3. Baylor- 2 (2005, 2012)
6. Immaculata- 1 (1972)
6. Delta State- 1 (1975)
6. Stanford- 1 (1990)
6. USC- 1 (1983)

What does this tell us?

First and foremost, with this last NC, Geno officially took the lead in terms of standalone NCs. Yes, I am aware of the fact that Caroline Doty and Heather Buck were technically on the roster in 2009. However, with Buck a redshirt and Doty missing more than half of the season (including the BET and NCAA Tourney run), I'm going to go ahead and say that counts.

I hope people appreciate how impressive bringing five distinct teams to the mountaintop is. Red Auerbach and Phil Jackson didn't do it (granted, it's much harder to do it in the pros because there's less turnover, especially of cornerstone players). I'm not sure John Wooden did it (though he may have given that freshmen didn't play for much of his tenure). Other than Wooden on the men's side, Coach K, Bobby Knight, Adolph Rupp, and Jim Calhoun lead the way with three standalone championships each. And of course, Pat Summit did it four times.

Can Geno do it for a sixth time? It's possible, of course, but we'll have to wait for the 2016-17 season at least to find out.

One note: Mulkey's gotten some heat for the Louisville loss this season and a lot of heat for how she's handled the topic of gay players on her team. But the fact remains she's only coach other than Pat and Geno (maybe partial credit to Leon Barmore as well) with two standalone NCAA NCs. That has to count for something, doesn't it?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I agree, but I am not kidding.
I've got an extremely demanding job, two young children, and a girlfriend with two kids of her own (both of whom are autistic). Nevertheless, I still find a few minutes to offer up a new way of looking at how much Geno Auriemma has accomplished as Head WBB Coach at the University of Connecticut. You're welcome, BY.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I find Alex's posts, including this one, to be insightful, well argued, well written, and interesting. I know he's busy, so I'm impressed.

In a different vein, I took "standalone" literally and came up with some insight of my own: UConn's Final Four record when I attended with my sister, girlfriend, and/or son: 11-0. UConn's "standalone" record when I went my myself: 0-1.

For those mojo-fearing BYers, I have plans to be in Nashville with my sister. Her personal record is 6-0.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I generally enjoy alex's posts. This one is very interesting, and regardless of what time he may or may not have on his hands, I would encourage anyone NOT interested in what he has to say to just ignore it. I'm constantly amazed and the snark that shows up on this board, and for no real reason.

Getting back to the main point, no matter how you slice it, Geno is the creme de la creme. He will very shortly surpass Pat as the gold standard by which all other coaches will be compared to. I'm not sure he eclipses Pat's total wins, but in every other category he has, or shortly will, leave her behind.

I'd also add in that the stand alone NC's are directly proportional to the number of #1 or #2 rated recruits he's landed (or in the case of Bird, Cash, Jones, and Williams, a quartet of top 5 recruits - I think we all can agree rating Sue at #20 or so was all about politics and had nothing to do with her talent).

I will say that if UCONN wins the next 2 NC's, which they should be favored to do, it would still only be 5 stand alone NC's correct? Given that the core of KML, Mo and Bree are leading the team...? Altho having said that, if they win 2 years out, it would be without Stef and Bria so I'm not really sure how to factor that in...

Reaction Score
Another way to slice this is to consider that, going back over 20 years, 5 generations of players, there are only a handful of unlucky ones who played here for 4 years and failed to win a championship (Charde Houston and Ketia Swanier being the latest).*

It's an incredible accomplishment.

* Going back even further, every player who entered in 1988 or later and stayed here for 4 years has been to a Final Four.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Another way to slice this is to consider that, going back over 20 years, 5 generations of players, there are only a handful of unlucky ones who played here for 4 years and failed to win a championship (Charde Houston and Ketia Swanier being the latest).

It's an incredible accomplishment.

Going back even further, every player who entered in 1988 or later and stayed here for 4 years has been to a Final Four.
Mel was in the class with Ketia and Charde.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Mel was in the class with Ketia and Charde.

Going back further, I think Amy Duran and Courtney Gaine were in the only other class that enter 1992 or after that doesn't have a ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom