Now jumping on Wilco | The Boneyard

Now jumping on Wilco

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
So, have missed on these guys.

Wilco was on CBS Saturday Morning today and I know I need Wilco coming from my Renegade speakers. Just purchased "Summerteeth ('99)", "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot ('02), "Being There" ('08) and the most recent "Ode To Joy."

While I spend a week enjoying them what should be the next two?

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Been huge fan since Uncle Tupelo broke up, shortly after I saw them live for the first and only time.

Have seen Wilco more times than I can count; easily more than 20. Without question my overall favorite band of the last thirty years.

Anyway, to answer your question, you already screwed up. You need to start at the beginning with their first album, A.M., which remains my favorite. I actually just listened to it twice earlier this week.

Listen to that for a week. Then move on to the rest. The ones you got are great after that; I’d do them in order, i.e., Being There, Summerteeth, YHF.

After that grab Mermaid Avenue, the album of unfinished Woody Guthrie songs they did with Billy Bragg. You need “California Stars” if nothing else.

Reaction Score
After that grab Mermaid Avenue, the album of unfinished Woody Guthrie songs they did with Billy Bragg. You need “California Stars” if nothing else.

"California Stars" is one of the best songs on "Mermaid Avenue". My favorite song from that album is "Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key". Natalie Merchant on backup vocals is a nice touch on that one.

Of the groups mentioned so far in this thread, my favorite would be The Jayhawks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Anyway, to answer your question, you already screwed up. You need to start at the beginning with their first album, A.M., which remains my favorite. I actually just listened to it twice earlier this week.

Listen to that for a week. Then move on to the rest. The ones you got are great after that; I’d do them in order, i.e., Being There, Summerteeth, YHF.

A.M. also remains my favorite Wilco. I just like the simplicity and honesty. Better than Being There, IMHO. While I have YHF, I haven't played it in years, just never took. I've got a bunch of Jayhawks and Uncle Tupelo, but probably the CD I play most is the first Golden Smog, Down By the Old Mainstream. It's just fun. And to underscore that, the tracks I really like are the ones critics hated most, Pecan Pie and Red-Headed Stepchild mostly because they're exactly the type of product that a bunch of guys drinking beer and just playing what comes to mind would come up with.

I wish there was a recording of Smog's "Her Satanic Majesty's Paycheck" performance, a show where they did all Stones covers.

I'll add I bought the first Son Volt with high hopes. I found it just an endless, depressing dirge. YMMV.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Pecan Pie

I really like that one as well.

I'll add I bought the first Son Volt with high hopes. I found it just an endless, depressing dirge. YMMV.

I think I'm in the minority. Of the two bands that formed when Uncle Tupelo split up, I much, much prefer Son Volt. I don't know if I've listened to their first album all the way thru, but their Retrospective: 1995-2000 is just chock full of good songs IMO.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Please tell me first me his first name is Roger.

(Just listened to California Stars. It is a solid song.)

Reaction Score
I really like that one as well.

I think I'm in the minority. Of the two bands that formed when Uncle Tupelo split up, I much, much prefer Son Volt. I don't know if I've listened to their first album all the way thru, but their Retrospective: 1995-2000 is just chock full of good songs IMO.

i've heard others that feel the same way. I go through periods with wilco where ill listen to them heavily and then long stretches of not paying too much attention. i really loved Tweedy's solo acoustic album reinterpreting a lot of the wilco songs.

Reaction Score
A Ghost is Born on good headphones.

@Waquoit, I saw them on the SBS tour too, at the baseball stadium in Wappingers Falls. Good show, but unfortunately we were tailgating near a radio station that was promoting the show: the played their new album on repeat the whole afternoon...

Reaction Score
You "purchased" music? Do people actually still do that?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Was slow getting to these. So far have listened to Summer teeth twice. Really enjoyed it. Listened to Ode To Joy (most recent) and it was okay. Will need a second listen. Now listening to Being There and it's really good.

Tweedy's vocals have a Lennon/J Garcia vibe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom