Now Baylor adds Erin DeGrate — a 6’6” transfer | The Boneyard

Now Baylor adds Erin DeGrate — a 6’6” transfer

Reaction Score
Good addition for them. Allows Cox to stay mostly at the 4 so they don't lose that height inside. Name rolls of nicely as well. Erin de Great.

Reaction Score
It appears that the top two teams in the country had the best offseason as well. I really like what Oregon and Baylor did this summer.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
NaLyssa Smith looked really good in limited minutes last year. I would hope for Smith's sake adding DeGrate doesn't eat into her PT this year. There's Egbo too, although she played even less than Smith. DeGrate averaged around 8 points and 4-5 reb per game the last 2 seasons for not very good Texas Tech teams. Is she a starting caliber player for Baylor or is she adding bench depth?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
NaLyssa Smith looked really good in limited minutes last year. I would hope for Smith's sake adding DeGrate doesn't eat into her PT this year. There's Egbo too, although she played even less than Smith. DeGrate averaged around 8 points and 4-5 reb per game the last 2 seasons for not very good Texas Tech teams. Is she a starting caliber player for Baylor or is she adding bench depth?

Guessing the latter, but we’ll see

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score

Definitely just adding depth.

Reaction Score
Depth for sure. Cox and Smith will likely be starters with DeGrate and Egbo being reserves. Cooper will probably start though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mulkey's not sleeping on that championship.

Reaction Score
Depth purposes. She will need to get in better shape though this fall, if she can she can play more. I still think it won't impact N. Smith's playing time. Egbo and DeGrate will be the reserves.

Very nice little addition for Baylor. Excited to see what next years team looks like soon and how far those sophomores progressed this offseason.

Reaction Score
Did this really need it’s own thread? I guess because she “held her own” vs Brown last year she’s an impact transfer.

Reaction Score
Baylor had a good thing going last season with Brown AND Cox on the floor at the same time. as the starters. Smith brings a different skill set to the table. She is not power, rather a finesse type player. She was able to be very effective crashing open lanes for both points and rebounds because the other teams' defense was focused either on Cox or Brown. We do not really know how effective she would be if Brown was not in the middle drawing doubles? It might also affect Cox's play as well. Baylor really was a matchup problem with the low post threat Brown always presented. Now the word was that neither Louisville nor TT were good system fits for DeGrate and that she should be more effective in Baylor's system. Of course, it all depends on if Mulkey wants to change the dynamic with a smaller and quicker Smith or just plug in Egbo or De Grate and maintain the old dynamic of having two power posts on the floor at once.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

“Erin will bring us experience in the post and the size to complement Lauren [Cox], Queen [Egbo] and NaLyssa [Smith].,” Mulkey said. “It’s always good to have a local kid come and invigorate the local fans like Juicy has done. Getting these two re-united will be good to see on the floor.”

DeGrate and Juicy Landrum were teammates at La Vega High School where she was the Waco-Tribune Herald’s 2015 Super Centex Player of the Year and joined Landrum in bringing home a 4A state championship in 2014.

Reaction Score
Baylor had a good thing going last season with Brown AND Cox on the floor at the same time. as the starters. Smith brings a different skill set to the table. She is not power, rather a finesse type player. She was able to be very effective crashing open lanes for both points and rebounds because the other teams' defense was focused either on Cox or Brown. We do not really know how effective she would be if Brown was not in the middle drawing doubles? It might also affect Cox's play as well. Baylor really was a matchup problem with the low post threat Brown always presented. Now the word was that neither Louisville nor TT were good system fits for DeGrate and that she should be more effective in Baylor's system. Of course, it all depends on if Mulkey wants to change the dynamic with a smaller and quicker Smith or just plug in Egbo or De Grate and maintain the old dynamic of having two power posts on the floor at once.

It also allowed perimeter players Landrum and Richards to be constantly open because the focus was slowing down the inside game.. I don’t think DeGrate will be the same presence as Brown was drawing double and triple teams. I think teams will be able to defend them straight up this year.

Reaction Score
It also allowed perimeter players Landrum and Richards to be constantly open because the focus was slowing down the inside game.. I don’t think DeGrate will be the same presence as Brown was drawing double and triple teams. I think teams will be able to defend them straight up this year.

Disagree, Lauren will be the focus of most teams defensive schemes. She showed that she was the best post between the two. The fact that she can stretch the D will clear up the lane when she pops out. Lauren can do more than Kalani.

Last season Baylor had one true 3pt threat. Now what are you going to do when you have to worry about Cooper and Landrum? Both of them are also quick to take you downhill too. Oh and if you stay off Richards she showed her slashing abilities to shoot or pass.

Reaction Score
Disagree, Lauren will be the focus of most teams defensive schemes. She showed that she was the best post between the two. The fact that she can stretch the D will clear up the lane when she pops out. Lauren can do more than Kalani.

Last season Baylor had one true 3pt threat. Now what are you going to do when you have to worry about Cooper and Landrum? Both of them are also quick to take you downhill too. Oh and if you stay off Richards she showed her slashing abilities to shoot or pass.

Yes, Lauren will be at the top of the scouting report but that was not my point. While she is the better overall player than Kalani she doesn’t demand the attention that she did on the block, hence why I said teams will be able to defend them straight up rather than have a player or two sag in the lane. Also Cooper is not a very good shooter from 3 or midrange so I would look for her to be a major threat from outside.

Reaction Score
Yes, Lauren will be at the top of the scouting report but that was not my point. While she is the better overall player than Kalani she doesn’t demand the attention that she did on the block, hence why I said teams will be able to defend them straight up rather than have a player or two sag in the lane. Also Cooper is not a very good shooter from 3 or midrange so I would look for her to be a major threat from outside.

Name someone who won't have to double team Lauren?

You double teamed Kalani because of size. They will have to double team Lauren because of Skill.

Compare her to Jackson and she is a 3pt threat.

Reaction Score
Name someone who won't have to double team Lauren?

You double teamed Kalani because of size. They will have to double team Lauren because of Skill.

Compare her to Jackson and she is a 3pt threat.

Looking at the teams Baylor will face this year.. UCONN has ONO and Walker who will be able to hold their own, Texas has Holmes and Collier who could hold their own, South Carolina has Herbert Harrigan, Boston, Amihere, and Saxton who could hold their own, and Georgia has Staiti who could hold her own as well... those are just a couple off the top of my head but Oregon has forwards/posts who could defend her as well as Oregon St, Texas A&M, and Miss St.

Also Chloe Jackson is a much better midrange shooter than cooper. She did need to take threes because she was so good at knocking those shots down. Cooper struggles from 3 and midrange and is considered more a slasher than shooter.

Reaction Score
Looking at the teams Baylor will face this year.. UCONN has ONO and Walker who will be able to hold their own, Texas has Holmes and Collier who could hold their own, South Carolina has Herbert Harrigan, Boston, Amihere, and Saxton who could hold their own, and Georgia has Staiti who could hold her own as well... those are just a couple off the top of my head but Oregon has forwards/posts who could defend her as well as Oregon St, Texas A&M, and Miss St.

Also Chloe Jackson is a much better midrange shooter than cooper. She did need to take threes because she was so good at knocking those shots down. Cooper struggles from 3 and midrange and is considered more a slasher than shooter.

Size only gets you so far when Skill plays a part. ONO is young and unless Geno has taught her how not to foul she won't be able to guard Cox on her own. Holmes tried last year and failed several times. Harrigan is one who I think would match up the best because she can move as well and has faced her twice recently.

Still with Cooper right under 30 it is more of a threat to be in her face than Jackson. You are being stuck on Size. Like Aja Cox is super skilled and if you try and play her 1 on 1 you will lose more than you will win.

Reaction Score
I think the difference in respect to Brown and Cox is when the double is necessary. Brown's size needed to be acounted for right from the get go, They had to always put a body on her to keep her off the offensive boards, which not every team was capable of doing. Cox best game is basically farther out and not of the block. Taking Brown out of the equation changes the dynamic for everyone.

Putting Cox at the center position changes everything. It changes how the opposing teams game plan for them. Naturally Browns replacement will not totally fill the void, but the question is how much taking Cox out of the PF position effect what she does best? Also how will it affect Smiths play. People assume that Smith would be as productive at the PF position as she was in the game with Brown at center. She is not a back to the basket threat but needs space and open lanes to be effective. It is also different when you sub in than when you start, because teams usually will not game plan for sub lineups. I also do not think she would be effective at the wing either on offense or defense. That is unless she really works on her outside shot. Of course I a stated in an earlier post, they could decide to change everything and go with a small running team.. But they have two sizable posts available that would go to waste. Baylor has always had a big back to the basket center.

I suspect Kim stays big lineup and just substitutes liberally.

Reaction Score

But you failing to realize that Baylor will still be a defensive team. As you can say they can all defend Baylor really well. Baylor can defend them. At this point. The team that can beat Baylor is UConn possibly. And that's if Westbrook is granted that waiver. They also lost so much talent. I'm not convinced Walker can hold her own against Baylor. Ono. Yes but Walker is still extremely undersized. Baylor could indeed be easier to defend but they'll be a more skilled team with Cox and Smith starting.

Reaction Score
But you failing to realize that Baylor will still be a defensive team. As you can say they can all defend Baylor really well. Baylor can defend them. At this point. The team that can beat Baylor is UConn possibly. And that's if Westbrook is granted that waiver. They also lost so much talent. I'm not convinced Walker can hold her own against Baylor. Ono. Yes but Walker is still extremely undersized. Baylor could indeed be easier to defend but they'll be a more skilled team with Cox and Smith starting.

Disagree. Only reason UConn stayed close to Baylor last season was my girl Pheesa. Other than Dangerfield I have a question mark about everyone. Nobody outside the two Seniors played consistently in terms of contribution.

Oregon is the team I think that would closely match to Baylor. With the Baylor guards being quicker.

Reaction Score

I didn’t fail to realize anything. I’m fully aware that Baylor will be a defensive team. That’s their calling card.... defense and post play. But let’s stop acting like Baylor will be 2016 UConn and will be unbeatable. There are a number of teams who will be similarly talented and have coaches as good as Mulkey. Yes, they are favored to reach the Final Four again and will be very good but I don’t think they will just breeze through the season unchallenged. Just my honest opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom