Nova Annihilating Hartford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nova Annihilating Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I feel like DH isn’t used to coaching talent

Yeah not quite sure what it is. He trusted Akok early... but when to Gaffney and Bouk way too late last year. And put far too much faith in Rique and Carlton despite blowing games for us.

I think there are signs that Sanogo should get plenty of run. Jackson too if he stays out of foul trouble?

My biggest concern is 100% the offense. I absolutely believe our D will get back on track--that's Hurley's staple. But we just don't seem to move, screen hard off the ball or aggressively attack mismatches.

I expect we'll see some new offensive wrinkles on Thursday. Looking forward to it

Reaction Score
Yeah not quite sure what it is. He trusted Akok early... but when to Gaffney and Bouk way too late last year. And put far too much faith in Rique and Carlton despite blowing games for us.

I think there are signs that Sanogo should get plenty of run. Jackson too if he stays out of foul trouble?

My biggest concern is 100% the offense. I absolutely believe our D will get back on track--that's Hurley's staple. But we just don't seem to move, screen hard off the ball or aggressively attack mismatches.

I expect we'll see some new offensive wrinkles on Thursday. Looking forward to it

Hopefully, JC is talking to Dan about playing the talent and making them grow quickly. It isn’t outrageous to say that DH isn’t experienced juggling all these great pieces. He’s never had this problem before. JC would probably be very helpful with this group. My buddy has a round about connection and says JC loves this roster.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Is this really a thread trying to use the transitive property to compare margin of victory in an early season game against a cupcake during a pandemic.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, JC is talking to Dan about playing the talent and making them grow quickly. It isn’t outrageous to say that DH isn’t experienced juggling all these great pieces. He’s never had this problem before. JC would probably be very helpful with this group. My buddy has a round about connection and says JC loves this roster.

Not surprised. JC with this group back when he was running that 221 press would've killed teams. Bouk up front with some other guard. Jackson/Martin trapping the sidelines and Whaley or Akok cleaning up breakdowns at the rim? Not even fair.

No one runs that any more of course. But if you transplanted this group to the early 2000s or late 90s... unstoppable.

Reaction Score
Nova has 4-5 guys 6’7”-6’9” and everyone else is 6’3” or above with the exception of one 6 footer that doesn’t play. They all have skills and they are jacked. Great S&C program.

They've all got tree trunk legs.

Reaction Score
Not surprised. JC with this group back when he was running that 221 press would've killed teams. Bouk up front with some other guard. Jackson/Martin trapping the sidelines and Whaley or Akok cleaning up breakdowns at the rim? Not even fair.

No one runs that any more of course. But if you transplanted this group to the early 2000s or late 90s... unstoppable.
Love the 221 full court press. Go hard to create turnovers. Go soft to control tempo. Need to spend lots of practice time on it in order to use it effectively.

Reaction Score
JC always thought the full court press started the offense...LOL.. Huggins had a similar philosophy.. Insert AJax/Bouk/Martin into some configuration of a press ..Along with AA/IW/AS as the backstop.. JG/RJ/BA harassing the ball handlers on the front end.. You've got a pretty good recipe for TOs.. Have to be in good shape to sustain it .. A different solution if Yarders are really concerned about our offensive sets.. Worked for JC..Used the press as a catalyst for scoring buckets..

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Their 3pt shooting is so much better than ours. 42 of their 67 points are from 3s.
Yeah, that means much more than "veteran prowess".

Reaction Score

I mean we had one great offensive game and one poor offensive game so it should probably be in the middle. Last season when we scored a lot our defense tended to perform poorly and vice versa. Also my main concern with Hurley coming in is that he thrived on recruiting his type of guys. The 3 star rough and energetic players. He’s kinda of forced to take the highest talent here. So it might take adjusting. If he doesn’t adjust he will be Archie Miller or Shaka Smart. I don’t think that’ll be the case. I don’t even know what coach could handle all the players that UConn has coming into a pandemic season, With two weeks off prior to game time throwing an offensive game plan together. So I’d give him some rope. Even if we lose the next two games.

Reaction Score
My two cents..It's way too early in the season to lose sleep over DH and this team.. They are evolving as all teams/coaches do.. Let's try to get a season in first.. With COVID hanging over our heads.. When legendary HOF coach John Wooden was asked about roster construction.. He said he would take talent over experience every time. If he had to choose one or the other. We have talent and a deep bench.. Let's get 10 games in with better comp around the corner before we make any serious assessments.. I get the Yarders being Yarders stuff..LOL

Reaction Score
My two cents..It's way too early in the season to lose sleep over DH and this team.. They are evolving as all teams/coaches do.. Let's try to get a season in first.. With COVID hanging over our heads.. When legendary HOF coach John Wooden was asked about roster construction.. He said he would take talent over experience every time. If he had to choose one or the other. We have talent and a deep bench.. Let's get 10 games in with better comp around the corner before we make any serious assessments.. I get the Yarders being Yarders stuff..LOL
Is anyone else driven absolutely bonkers by Grey Goose's writing style? The sentence fragments and double periods cause me to read his posts in a super annoying staccato that makes me want to pull my hair out!

No offense, @Grey Goose. If I or anyone else has a problem with your writing style, it's obviously our problem, not yours. I am just wondering if I am the only one.

Reaction Score
Is anyone else driven absolutely bonkers by Grey Goose's writing style? The sentence fragments and double periods cause me to read his posts in a super annoying staccato that makes me want to pull my hair out!

No offense, @Grey Goose. If I or anyone else has a problem with your writing style, it's obviously our problem, not yours. I am just wondering if I am the only one.
Personally, I love @Grey Goose writing style. Just for the fact that it drives you bonkers works for me. Keep up the good work @Gray Goose

Reaction Score
Early in his UConn career, I thought that JC didn't appreciate size at center. He loved 6-7 and 6-9 centers. Travis Knight was tall but not really big. Jake was really the first prototype center, that got minutes, for JC.

It will be interesting to see DH handles his uber talented squad. It's a good challenge to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom