Notre Dame's move to ACC didn't make losers out of Big East, Big Ten and BYU | The Boneyard

Notre Dame's move to ACC didn't make losers out of Big East, Big Ten and BYU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
to link:

write what you want to be linked then highlight that wor dor phrase and click hyper or the chain link above. then in that box paste the www.... and click insert

whala

edit-as for the story= d-

Reaction Score
Wetzel was on a local radio show here in Nashville a few minutes ago saying essentially the same thing. It may be bad for some individual teams who were hoping to ride ND's coattails and jump to another conference, but for the conference as a whole it is a very stabilizing event.

The BE can now go to the table with a solid 12 team conference with very little chance that there will be a catostrophic shift in teams in the next few years. As usual, the BE doesn't seem to have that dominant football team, but it has a bunch of teams in the top 50 in the country. The BE lost nothing with the departure of Cuse and Pitt. It may not have gained much with the addition of some of the new teams, but we need to give those teams in fertile recruiting areas time to grow.

The ND move may shut down the "Conference Realignment" board in the near future.

Reaction Score
Just sharing...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...QDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

(and if someone wants to tell me how I can convert the url to a word -I'd appreciate it)

Wetzel leaves out the most important thing. The college football post season. Regular season scheduling is a part of it, but the big money in college football - is the post season.

Notre Dame already had most of the ACC on the regular season future schedule (just like they did with the Big East in the 1990s).

It's the college football post season that Notre Dame was having trouble with accessing - in remaining independant. BYU - has their own bowl arrangements. Wetzel left that out. BYU is contracted to be in bowls (if not selected to the BCS in the next two years), and will continue to find desireable bowl game destinations in the future. Notre Dame? Well, Notre Dame lustre isn't what it once was, and bowl games are no longer about the actual number of people that sit in the seats.

The timing of this, occuring during the exclusivity window for the big east - is all about espn, and Notre Dame trying to remain independant as a football program, and have a relevance in the post season. THis isn't something that happens over the course of a week or two.

BYU is contracted with a bowl game in San Diego for the next two years, and has relationships in teh post season with teh military academies (Army is the only remaining independant other than ND and BYU as of 2015)......

I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that sometime in the past few months, as the Big East has begun to look into the future bowl affiliations after settling on membership - that Notre Dame was told that they weren't getting preferential treatment in the future.

It's the only motivation for leaving the Big East they could have, and Swarbrick's initial statement explicitly referenced the association with ACC...NON-BCS bowl games.....

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Actually, I think the loser of today really is the B1G. Eventually, the B1G is going to have to expand to grow their network and revenue. I think they thought they would be able to do this any time they wanted. But with this new $50 exit fee for the ACC and the GoR in the B12, they will not be able to get the schools they thought they would with these penalties. I think all along the B1G figured they would get to 16 down the road with schools within the group of Notre Dame/Texas/Oklahoma/Virginia/Maryland/ North Carolina/Missouri etc...but that isn't happening with these exit fees and GoR in place.

The loss of Notre Dame doesn't hurt the NBE as much as people are saying. I think the real loser coming out of today is the B1G.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The B1G is not a loser in this. They can still get pretty much any school they want (that is willing to join a conference).

I think that BYU will be the early winner here as they have now become far more valuable to the B-12. The beneficiary of this could well be Louisville.

We will have to sit and wait to see how the remainder of this plays out.

Reaction Score
Actually, I think the loser of today really is the B1G. Eventually, the B1G is going to have to expand to grow their network and revenue. I think they thought they would be able to do this any time they wanted. But with this new $50 exit fee for the ACC and the GoR in the B12, they will not be able to get the schools they thought they would with these penalties. I think all along the B1G figured they would get to 16 down the road with schools within the group of Notre Dame/Texas/Oklahoma/Virginia/Maryland/ North Carolina/Missouri etc...but that isn't happening with these exit fees and GoR in place.

The loss of Notre Dame doesn't hurt the NBE as much as people are saying. I think the real loser coming out of today is the B1G.

Strongly disagree. Right or wrong, the Big Ten wants to be a midwestern conference. I don't think that's about the Commissioner -- I think that's a majority of the schools. If they wanted to go east or southeast, they would have and should have done it already.

Reaction Score
The great thing about the ACC's 50 million exit fee is it sets up UCONN and Rutgers to be the B1G's next best options should they decide to expand. Maybe not so bad of a day after all.

Hey B1G, the ACC just invaded your territory, time for you to return the favor.

Reaction Score
Strongly disagree. Right or wrong, the Big Ten wants to be a midwestern conference. I don't think that's about the Commissioner -- I think that's a majority of the schools. If they wanted to go east or southeast, they would have and should have done it already.
The midwest is going to dry up and blow away, or flood and rot away. The only growth is south and west.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You know who's a big loser here, the Big East. For this reason alone....we invited crappy football teams in Temple and Memphis just to get their bball teams and they're "markets" to appease the bball only schools. Now what's happened, one of those bball only, ND has left and there's still a shot one of 'Nova, G-Town, or even SJU could be gone as well, thus weakening the BE in bball more. So now we have to welcome Memphis, one of the worst fball programs in America into our conference to appease who? Schools that have no loyalty to this conference? What a crock.....I don't know who I'd add instead of Memphis as there really aren't other attractive options out there but I guess pretty much everything is more attractive than Memphis....

Reaction Score
Markets matter.

I can't emphasize enough. So many posters here go off on what ... academics (wtf do you know ... are you an academic>?) ... recent football success (we have seen several of our BE programs advance dramatically since 2003) ... and then think we somehow belong ... BELONG ... because of what >.>???? Our Yankee Conference experience>?

We will be in a Conference with Markets. We still will have one of 3 networks overpay (given our recent past) to broadcast this farflund NEW thing. Let's just hang on ... and build from here. Maybe in 2024 there will be another earthquake.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Let's be real. The only real Power Conference is the SEC. It has far and away the best football and the second best basketball.

Reaction Score
Markets matter.

I can't emphasize enough. So many posters here go off on what ... academics (wtf do you know ... are you an academic>?) ... recent football success (we have seen several of our BE programs advance dramatically since 2003) ... and then think we somehow belong ... BELONG ... because of what >.>???? Our Yankee Conference experience>?

We will be in a Conference with Markets. We still will have one of 3 networks overpay (given our recent past) to broadcast this farflund NEW thing. Let's just hang on ... and build from here. Maybe in 2024 there will be another earthquake.
Markets only matter when your teams have pull in those markets. Just because UCF is in Orlando, or UH is in Houston, or SMU is in Dallas doesn't mean they have control over the media and fans in those markets. None of those three are number one, two, or even three in their respective home cities. That's the problem with the new BE, there are schools in good locations, just not with enough pull in those locations to make it that appealing to the TV networks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let's be real. The only real Power Conference is the SEC. It has far and away the best football and the second best basketball.

Second best basketball? Based on what? One team? They are no better than 5th in hoops. BE, ACC, B1G, and BXII are all better, and in many years, so is the Pac (if UA and UCLA get their together).

Yes, best in football, but not so far ahead of the Big XII and in some years, B1G as it may seem. You can't look at this as a snapshot while OSU and Penn State are down.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Markets only matter when your teams have pull in those markets. Just because UCF is in Orlando, or UH is in Houston, or SMU is in Dallas doesn't mean they have control over the media and fans in those markets. None of those three are number one, two, or even three in their respective home cities. That's the problem with the new BE, there are schools in good locations, just not with enough pull in those locations to make it that appealing to the TV networks.
Big difference in pulling 1% of available viewers in NYC and 1% of available viewers in Deer Lick. Markets always matter, what you can do with them matters more though.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

AP Poll:

1. Alabama
2. LSU
5. Georgia
7. South Carolina

We've had this discussion a couple of times on the Boneyard, and here is where I stand on it. We can talk all we want about how Vandy, Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Miss. St. are no different than the bottom teams in the other BCS conferences, but when you have the top two teams and 4 of the top ten, you get to call yourself the best football conference, period! (let's not talk about when it last was that someone who won the national championship didn't wear the SEC patch)

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Anybody who really believes that the Pac is better than the SEC needs their head examined.

Reaction Score
AP Poll:

1. Alabama
2. LSU
5. Georgia
7. South Carolina

We've had this discussion a couple of times on the Boneyard, and here is where I stand on it. We can talk all we want about how Vandy, Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Miss. St. are no different than the bottom teams in the other BCS conferences, but when you have the top two teams and 4 of the top ten, you get to call yourself the best football conference, period! (let's not talk about when it last was that someone who won the national championship didn't wear the SEC patch)
Exactly... And when that happens in bb you call it the big east!

Reaction Score

$50 million exit fee for ND to join the B10 is not going to stop them.
The B10 right now makes $12 million a year more than the ACC. Add ND to the BigTen's package, and I bet you see a bump of at least $2 million per team. This means ND recoups the exit fee money in 4 years.

It's not prohibitive for a school like ND. Not at all.

Reaction Score
The midwest is going to dry up and blow away, or flood and rot away. The only growth is south and west.

People keep saying stuff like this, but when you look at the demographics, a huge amount of people live around the Great Lakes and the northeast, and migration may eventually make a difference in 50 to 100 years, but by then I'll be dead and the west and south will be in severe drought conditions.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
People keep saying stuff like this, but when you look at the demographics, a huge amount of people live around the Great Lakes and the northeast, and migration may eventually make a difference in 50 to 100 years, but by then I'll be dead and the west and south will be in severe drought conditions.

It's an interesting point that I've contemplated for quite some time. The economics of lower wages and lower standards of living have driven more people and businesses down south, but the weather is changing (literally). I don't think that it will even take 50 years to see the weather changes that you are thinking about, since they are already starting to happen.

So in 30 years, are we seeing Yale back on top again??? ;) (let's just go with the Huskies!)

Reaction Score
"Prior to 1945, college football was an ironman game. Players competed all 60 minutes, playing offense, defense and special teams, with no breaks. Substitutions were rare because a player pulled from competition couldn't return that same quarter.

Notre Dame head coach Knute Rockne outsmarted the ironman game in the 1920s by employing "shock troops" to wear down the competition. Rockne would start games with his second-stringers, pulling them for his fresh starters after their opponents had exhausted themselves."

Funny how ND became a powerhouse football program, huh?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
ND (due to anti-catholic sentiment that was prevalent among WASPS 85-130 years ago) wasn't allowed to join the Western Conference (now the B1G) so in order to promote their football program, they needed to play anyone of substance, anywhere possible (imagine that, I wonder if any modern up and coming programs would consider this? Nah, it would be beneath them). This led to travelling to LA to Play USC, Yankee Stadium to play Army, Philadelphia to play Navy & a series with another midwest school then not allowed in the Western Conference (Michigan St).

Knute Rockne's innovations (motion backfield, forward pass, substitutions) played an enormous role in their success during sports Golden Age after which, ND no longer needed to make concessions to anyone.

Note - Until sometime in the early 1950's college football had a rule basically similar to baseball's where once a player came out of the game he could no longer return. This is why Rockne's use of second team players early in a game was successful as it did not lead to permanently removing the better players from the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom