Notre Dame @ Virginia Tech - 1/21/21

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Blacksburg, VA - 7:00 PM ET
TV: RSN (Evan Lepler, Kelley Deyo)

Video stream:
Notre Dame vs. Virginia Tech (W Basketball) | Watch ESPN (tvpli)

Audio:

Live stats:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Both teams are 7-5, but Va. Tech is 2-5 in conference. They're 6-3 at home, but three of those losses were the last three they played (FSU, Louisville and Wake Forest, whom ND just beat). So, big pressure on them.

Wasn't a lot of defense in these two teams' first game, which ND won, 84-78. Elizabeth Kitley went for 25 and Georgia Amoore for 23. Irish kept Sheppard relatively quiet and Cayla King got into foul trouble, thereby silencing herself.

Irish were led by Maddy Westbeld (23), Sam Brunelle (17) and Anaya Peoples (15 pts., 8 rebounds).

This marks the return of Dara Mabrey to Blacksburg. While she calls it "just another ACC game," you know it isn't and she might press.

Va. Tech, in the games I've seen this year, tends to come out of the chute fast, then tire at the end. In that respect, the key player for me might be the Irish's Mik Vaughn, who was just back in the first game but is increasing her stamina and sharpening her timing and touch recently. She can work with Maddy Westbeld down low to battle Kitley. That, in turn, will allow Brunelle to fire away from mid- to long-range, which she did well in the first game.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If I may add on to the minor assessment our fine ND colleague posited:
VPI has played a tad harder ACC schedule this year vs. what ND has played. Losses to Louisville and FSU to name 2 opponents that ND has yet to face. VPI desperately needs this game at home to contend for a better seed in the conference tournament. They still have 10 games left with stalwarts NC State-2, Syracuse-1 and toss-ups of NC-2, Clemson-1, BC-1, Miami-1 and Pitt-1. Where as ND has Syracuse-2, Louisville-2, NC State-1 as tough games and toss-ups of FSU-1, NC-1 and Pitt-1. I would say ND needs this game as well because their road ahead is significantly harder...

Either improvement will be evident for ND or it could get ugly over at McGraw's Bench...

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Notre Dame seems to be improving...but VaTech REALLY, REALLY needs a win today. They are better than their record indicates. Nothing against Notre Dame (well, maybe that isn't exactly being honest) but I'm rooting for the Hokies.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
If I may add on to the minor assessment our fine ND colleague posited:
VPI has played a tad harder ACC schedule this year vs. what ND has played. Losses to Louisville and FSU to name 2 opponents that ND has yet to face. VPI desperately needs this game at home to contend for a better seed in the conference tournament. They still have 10 games left with stalwarts NC State-2, Syracuse-1 and toss-ups of NC-2, Clemson-1, BC-1, Miami-1 and Pitt-1. Where as ND has Syracuse-2, Louisville-2, NC State-1 as tough games and toss-ups of FSU-1, NC-1 and Pitt-1. I would say ND needs this game as well because their road ahead is significantly harder...

Either improvement will be evident for ND or it could get ugly over at McGraw's Bench...

Notre Dame seems to be improving...but VaTech REALLY, REALLY needs a win today. They are better than their record indicates. Nothing against Notre Dame (well, maybe that isn't exactly being honest) but I'm rooting for the Hokies.

It's ok, gents, I know where your, errr hmm, allegiance towards ND is. ;) No offense taken...heck, as an Irish and Yankee fan, I'm more than used to it.

ND is improving as an overall team. Oddly enough, that happened in part because Niele tightened her rotation, partly by choice and partly because of a typical ND development: injuries (in this case to Katlyn Gilbert and to whatever is keeping Sam Brunelle on a short leash).

The Irish seem to match up pretty well with what Va. Tech does, and does not do. They don't play a lot of tight defense, which allows ND's prime shooters time to let it fly and, say what you want about the rest of their games, but Mabrey, Brunelle and Walker can shoot. Of course, Irish guards seem toally disinterested in covering three-points shooters, as well, so Va. Tech could make this a HORSE match.

That's why I focused on Kitley vs the tag team of Vaughn/Westbeld and a guard (Peoples?) dropping down to double and keep the outlet pass from not going out. Both teams need this game. Stay tuned.
No throwing popcorn at the back of my imagined head, now. ?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Of course I'm rooting for VPI..... but I'm sure they will probably find a way to lose. Perhaps I'll put on my VT Gobbler pin for good luck

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Of course I'm rooting for VPI..... but I'm sure they will probably find a way to lose. Perhaps I'll put on my VT Gobbler pin for good luck
Maybe you can bottle up all of your mojo for #37 High Point and somehow, send it through the ether to the receptors placed at Virginia Tech for that purpose.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It's ok, gents, I know where your, errr hmm, allegiance towards ND is. ;) No offense taken...heck, as an Irish and Yankee fan, I'm more than used to it.

ND is improving as an overall team. Oddly enough, that happened in part because Niele tightened her rotation, partly by choice and partly because of a typical ND development: injuries (in this case to Katlyn Gilbert and to whatever is keeping Sam Brunelle on a short leash).

The Irish seem to match up pretty well with what Va. Tech does, and does not do. They don't play a lot of tight defense, which allows ND's prime shooters time to let it fly and, say what you want about the rest of their games, but Mabrey, Brunelle and Walker can shoot. Of course, Irish guards seem toally disinterested in covering three-points shooters, as well, so Va. Tech could make this a HORSE match.

That's why I focused on Kitley vs the tag team of Vaughn/Westbeld and a guard (Peoples?) dropping down to double and keep the outlet pass from not going out. Both teams need this game. Stay tuned.
No throwing popcorn at the back of my imagined head, now. ?
Popcorn or..:rolleyes:
episode 5 hatchet throwing GIF by The Bachelorette

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Aisha Sheppard took 20 three point shots for VT.

And luckily, only hit 5. In fact VA. Tech shot 9-39 from three. Georgia Amoore went 1-6 and Cayla King 2-9.

By comparison, Destinee Walker's 4-9 were ? .

I felt like ND & VT reverted back to a rough n' tumble Big East game. Both teams scored nearly 20 pts. less than their first meeting and the shooting, as noted, reflected it. Perhaps best move by Niele's game planner was to double (triple?) Elizabeth Kitley whenever she got the ball. While she did well enough when she got free (7-12), Mik Vaughn, Sam Brunelle and Maddy Westbeld harassed her into 7 turnovers and holding the ball longer than she wanted.

On the other hand, VT got up on ND's ballhandlers and face-guarded Westbeld, so the Irish offense ground to a halt. Only 9 assists! Luckily, Walker was on fire for a stretch and Westbeld and Dara Mabrey were perfect from the line down the stretch.

Take the win, remember the doubling, burn the rest of the tape and go to Chapel Hill on Sunday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom