Notre Dame @ Virginia - 1/26/20 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame @ Virginia - 1/26/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
On a side note, I saw a very sweet clip of the team visiting Sam Brunelle's family, their farm, and hometown. It looked like so much fun! Hopefully they can share some good memories this year despite the disappointing season thus far.

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is Muffet's postgame press conference available? Asking for a friend.

Reaction Score
Was at the game today. Several observations. UVA, with out a doubt, played their best game of the year. Defense was relentless, shooting great. Someone mentioned that it helps your shooting when you get a bunch of easy layups. Well, I’ve watched UVA miss tons for layups (both easy and difficult) this year. Today they made most of them. I felt like, for the first time, they played the way Tina is teaching them. Tough defense and push the ball. They’ve tried to do that all year - but are typically either not doing it well or doing it inconsistently. Bad 1stQ, good second and third, mediocre 4th is a typical scenario. Today they played 4 strong quarters! They are very young - often had 3 or 4 freshmen on the floor at the same time. Maybe they’re finally starting to get it.

On the other side, ND was really bad! Little energy, poor defense.
At the end I wondered if UVA was reacting to the fact that Sam Brunelle was playing her first “home” game. The roar when she was announced was the loudest of the game. Even when UVA went up by 40, while the fans were certainly into it, the cheers didn’t compare to that moment. Might that have motivated them?
Finally, I wasn’t overly impressed with Brunelle. Yes, she got 21 points, but on 6-17 shooting. She did spend most of her time away from the basket and didn’t seem to play much defense. Of course she is a freshman and on a typical ND team would probably be coming off the bench. I don’t know what the true story is of her UConn recruitment, but when I saw that she was the only player on the floor with gold sneakers, I thought... CD wouldn’t have allowed that!

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To make matters worse.... ND returns home Thursday.... to be the featured ESPN game....... vs Louisville :oops:
Wait a minute my dear colleague, Mr. Walz must be given his due and be allowed to pummel MM like the rest of the ACC has done, not only for the retribution of 5 years of ACC play but for the numerous slights afforded to him by MM at his team and Asia Durr. I want Dana Evans to hang a triple double on them and have MM give a presser at the Yum Center!
Would any of us deny you the right to help Coach JPM pack her office up when she is hopefully shown the door in 14 months? Of course not, you’ve earned that right for all your support of this poor coaching these last 5 years...:rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Was at the game today. Several observations. UVA, with out a doubt, played their best game of the year. Defense was relentless, shooting great. Someone mentioned that it helps your shooting when you get a bunch of easy layups. Well, I’ve watched UVA miss tons for layups (both easy and difficult) this year. Today they made most of them. I felt like, for the first time, they played the way Tina is teaching them. Tough defense and push the ball. They’ve tried to do that all year - but are typically either not doing it well or doing it inconsistently. Bad 1stQ, good second and third, mediocre 4th is a typical scenario. Today they played 4 strong quarters! They are very young - often had 3 or 4 freshmen on the floor at the same time. Maybe they’re finally starting to get it.

On the other side, ND was really bad! Little energy, poor defense.
At the end I wondered if UVA was reacting to the fact that Sam Brunelle was playing her first “home” game. The roar when she was announced was the loudest of the game. Even when UVA went up by 40, while the fans were certainly into it, the cheers didn’t compare to that moment. Might that have motivated them?
Finally, I wasn’t overly impressed with Brunelle. Yes, she got 21 points, but on 6-17 shooting. She did spend most of her time away from the basket and didn’t seem to play much defense. Of course she is a freshman and on a typical ND team would probably be coming off the bench. I don’t know what the true story is of her UConn recruitment, but when I saw that she was the only player on the floor with gold sneakers, I thought... CD wouldn’t have allowed that!
Thanks VA, that was helpful, so let me ask you this-Has Virginia turned the corner and will they be able to go on a run to get above .500? Their RPI would put them in the NCAAT but their record is abysmal.
@Plebe I would normally want to hear your thoughts on this but your prognostication has been suspect lately on teams that you felt "turned the corner" :D (notice the GREEN emoji for a hint at which team you egregiously and dumbfoundedly supported-I couldn't resist).

Reaction Score
Thanks VA, that was helpful, so let me ask you this-Has Virginia turned the corner and will they be able to go on a run to get above .500? Their RPI would put them in the NCAAT but their record is abysmal.
@Plebe I would normally want to hear your thoughts on this but your prognostication has been suspect lately on teams that you felt "turned the corner" :D (notice the GREEN emoji for a hint at which team you egregiously and dumbfoundedly supported-I couldn't resist).
I can’t really say. They’ve shown bursts of being pretty good, but never in a whole game. Their defense is almost always good. But I’ve not seen ball movement like yesterday all year. If they’ve figured that out, I’d say yes, they could reach .500. Their game at UNCheat this Thursday could tell us a lot.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I can’t really say. They’ve shown bursts of being pretty good, but never in a whole game. Their defense is almost always good. But I’ve not seen ball movement like yesterday all year. If they’ve figured that out, I’d say yes, they could reach .500. Their game at UNCheat this Thursday could tell us a lot.

et tu Brute? :rolleyes: :p :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom