Notre Dame leaving is a 'negative?'. Don't understand it. | The Boneyard

Notre Dame leaving is a 'negative?'. Don't understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
For the last several years, it seemed like 60 per cent of posters or more were highly up in arms about NDs status of football independence. They have advocated everything from just kicking them out to formally stringing the whole buch in South Bend up. The level of vitriol was off the scale.

Now you have what you wanted in the first place and you call them traitors, believe the Big East is dead, and UConn wil never play another football or basketball game, and that Herbst and Manuel are incompetent buffoons for not making a phone call and getting us right into the B1G.

Perhaps we don't know exactly what we want? Perhaps (bite my tongue) we are not so desirable a property as we think we are.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's only negative because it closed the most likely scenario for us to be invited to the ACC in this round of realignment. Otherwise it is a minor PR hit for the league.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
It's actually more than a "minor" pr hit. Whether you like it or not, whatever ND does is major news, and leaving the Big East for the ACC while we are negotiating a new tv contract is not a help. It's not a big blow on the competition side of things, but pr wise it is. Seems like they escalated their desire to leave once Temple, Memphis, et al were brought in.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
For the last several years, it seemed like 60 per cent of posters or more were highly up in arms about NDs status of football independence. They have advocated everything from just kicking them out to formally stringing the whole buch in South Bend up. The level of vitriol was off the scale.

Now you have what you wanted in the first place and you call them traitors, believe the Big East is dead, and UConn wil never play another football or basketball game, and that Herbst and Manuel are incompetent buffoons for not making a phone call and getting us right into the B1G.

Perhaps we don't know exactly what we want? Perhaps (bite my tongue) we are not so desirable a property as we think we are.

It's not so much that ND left, it's that the timing, IMO. ND, like all the other turncoats, gave no indication they were leaving. ND waited until a new commissioner was appointed and positivity was beginning to emerge. ND left on the cusp of critical negotions on the new TV deal. The idea floated by myself and others was that as a part time member of the NBE, ND's relationship with NBC could have had a favorable effect on the NBE negotiations of the new deal, especially if the window opened for negotiations with NBC. The fact that the ACC is an ESPN conference only accentuates the negative feelings towards ND's departure.

I have a few reasons why I don't like the ACC. Adding ND as a partial member is another reason added to that list. I firmly believe that ND as a partial member is a negative and indirectly weakens a conference. Still, the ACC is a better spot than the NBE and despite all it's negatives, I'd accept an invitation should it be offered. With ND as a partial member I would hold my nose that much tighter, though.

Reaction Score
It's actually more than a "minor" pr hit. Whether you like it or not, whatever ND does is major news, and leaving the Big East for the ACC while we are negotiating a new tv contract is not a help. It's not a big blow on the competition side of things, but pr wise it is. Seems like they escalated their desire to leave once Temple, Memphis, et al were brought in.

I can't imagine that not having ND bball will impact our TV deal dramatically. It might mean we get a mil or so less, but it's not like this is what will sink our contract. As for their opinions I think the Big East has been giving their opinions way too much credence over the last decade considering they were never anything more than a bunch of opportunists to begin with. They used us for their needs, I guess we used them for ours, and while that was fine for the time being, we should have never gotten confused with the idea that they were ever any kind of partner to any of the Big East schools

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
WVU, Pitt, SU, ND, TCU -- there's no good news there. None. I'm sorry.

I'm still a fan. Now it's easier for UConn to go undefeated in the BE in all revenue sports.

Reaction Score
It's only negative because it closed the most likely scenario for us to be invited to the ACC in this round of realignment. Otherwise it is a minor PR hit for the league.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
you're assuming what you know today will be relevant to what happens tomorrow. Nothing over the past year or so has proven that assumption to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom