Notre Dame @ Duke - 2/04/18 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame @ Duke - 2/04/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
A lot at stake in this game. A win for ND would keep them in the hunt for a #1 seed. A win for Duke should put them in the selection committee’s Top 16.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

That game-time decision will have have a profound impact and trickle-down effect. Without a true point guard, Westbeld's ability to move the ball and/or be in the right place makes her a linchpin for the Irish offense, both half-court and transition.
Plus, if she can't play, it will force MM to play Koko Nelson and Danielle Patterson more than usual. And if the Irish get into any foul trouble, you might be seeing some walk-on's out there.

That said, ND has a week off after this game, so I fully expect Mabrey, Ogunbowale and Young to play a lot of minutes if they have to....perhaps all game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Blue Devil reunion coming up
bluedevil reunuion.jpg

Reaction Score
They're letting them play, which favors ND.

Reaction Score
13-12 ND end of first

Duke winning the rebounding game 15-9 but shooting an abysmal 22.2%

Turns out Westbeld is playing.

westbeld.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
33-29 ND at the half

Mabrey 10 pts, 2 reb, 2 ast, 3 stl

Greenwell 9 pts, 7 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Mabrey is doing it all for ND. Arike has been off.

Both team's zones have been effective.

ND has lost Greenwell a couple of times while scrambling to defend inside and she has made them pay.

Sometimes Duke's best offense is to miss a midrange jumper and get a outback on the rebounds.

Jade Williams for Duke is a good young player. It's a shame ND missed out on her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Mabrey is doing it all for ND. Arike has been off.

Both team's zones have been effective.

ND has lost Greenwell a couple of times while scrambling to defend inside and she has made them pay.

Sometimes Duke's best offense is to miss a midrange jumper and get a outback on the rebounds.

Jade Williams for Duke is a good young player. It's a shame ND missed out on her.
UConn once gave her an offer then pulled back, I think after Collier became the focus. I always thought Jade was a fine young player.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Lexie Brown dominating on both ends to start the 2nd half after doing little in the first half.

Looks like someone told her at halftime that ND can't guard her 1-on-1 and the pull-up jumper is there whenever she wants it.

Guarding players like Brown is where ND sorely misses Lili Thompson.

Reaction Score
54-46 end of Q3

Seems like Duke works harder on offense but ends up missing a shot of turning it over, while ND scores easy on transition or threes.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
ND is just clutch. They've grown and developed confidence in their ability to play a full game with a short bench. They have been a great second-half team ever since the Louisville loss.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I can't see ND making a serious tournament run with Mabrey as the PG.

Define serious. They've beaten some pretty good teams (and comfortably) with her at the point.

I am biased but ND looks like pretty good value for their #5 ranking.

Final Four is still a big ask with this roster situation but they look like a solid Elite 8 team.

Jackie Young played a lot of point today as well.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Following up on Orangutan's point, Muffet McGraw is finding times to have Jackie Young take the reins of the offense and move Mabrey back to the wing.It gives Mabrey something of a rest, but more importantly it allows her to get back to doing what she does naturally....score. She had four 3's today and all were big.

Sheppard rebounded well in the 2nd half and whatever ND was doing defensively (2-3 zone, the box, even a little man on man)worked later in the game in that the Irish held Duke to 8 points in the last quarter.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
That game-time decision will have have a profound impact and trickle-down effect. Without a true point guard, Westbeld's ability to move the ball and/or be in the right place makes her a linchpin for the Irish offense, both half-court and transition.
Plus, if she can't play, it will force MM to play Koko Nelson and Danielle Patterson more than usual. And if the Irish get into any foul trouble, you might be seeing some walk-on's out there.

That said, ND has a week off after this game, so I fully expect Mabrey, Ogunbowale and Young to play a lot of minutes if they have to....perhaps all game.
Excellent call, Dillon!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
6 donuts and 4 Danishes from Daily Donut on the way to the game $12.40 :p

Price of a reserved ticket $17.00

Seeing Coach Ivey in a gray sleeveless dress in person...... Priceless :cool:

ND is just clutch. They've grown and developed confidence in their ability to play a full game with a short bench. They have been a great second-half team ever since the Louisville loss.

The ACC tourney is gonna be an interesting test for them. I dont see Louisville losing any of their remaining games (@BC, @UNC.Cheat, UVA, and Pitt) so that puts ND as the 2 seed... first game at 6pm Friday night... semifinal @2:30pm.. and final at 2pm on Sunday. Potentially Miami/Syracuse first...... then revenge minded FSU... then Louisville in the finals.

Following up on Orangutan's point, Muffet McGraw is finding times to have Jackie Young take the reins of the offense and move Mabrey back to the wing.It gives Mabrey something of a rest, but more importantly it allows her to get back to doing what she does naturally....score. She had four 3's today and all were big.

Sheppard rebounded well in the 2nd half and whatever ND was doing defensively (2-3 zone, the box, even a little man on man)worked later in the game in that the Irish held Duke to 8 points in the last quarter.

Yep... Sheppard killed us on the boards in the second half..... I was surprised that you guys only got 8 offensive boards..... seemed more like 20 or so Head bang

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

She struggled (like alot of freshman) early in the year... but she has played much better recently... 16pts... 8 rebounds, and 6 blocks in the previous game vs GaTech. She is foul prone (as you saw on Sunday) and her FT shooting is awful.... (around 30% :eek:) but I like her aggressiveness and defensive potential.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom