Notre Dame considering full conference membership, says former Irish AD, ACC commissioner Corrigan | The Boneyard

Notre Dame considering full conference membership, says former Irish AD, ACC commissioner Corrigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/te...ommissioner-corrigan-20111026,0,7637373.story

Teel Time: Notre Dame considering full conference membership, says former Irish AD, ACC commissioner Corrigan

"Gene Corrigan ran Notre Dame athletics from 1981-87. He ran the ACC from 1987-97. No one pines for an Irish-ACC marriage more than he.

"But even in retirement Corrigan is connected. He wouldn’t reveal details of his conversations but said he speaks with Swofford and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick.

Moreover, Corrigan’s son Kevin coaches the Irish’s lacrosse team. Another son, Boo, was an associate athletic director at Notre Dame and is the AD at Army.

So if anyone knows the Irish way, the influence of the school’s governing body and its most well-heeled donors, it’s Corrigan."

Reaction Score
" What was once impossible is no longer. "
Sounds like the culture at ND is changing and that could be good for us. The ACC has made it clear that nobody is joining the ACC unless they bring football and no other conference has offered ND without football. This could be also the the incentive for the basketball schools to break away.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
every night i goto bed and i say a quick prayer. it rivals the talladega nights dinner prayer in my mind. in it i include the following. "may the sec go after nothing but tv markets, adding tam/mizzu/md/ncst. i beg you sweet baby chesus. the acc then can make the move of a lifetime adding nd/psu/uconn/ruty."

Reaction Score
If I had to bet, I'd say Corrigan is doddering.

I mean, he claims this is the closest they've come to even considering a conference? Wha? They already agreed to join the Big10 over a decade ago.

Insane.

Reaction Score
Would love to see ND move to the ACC to enable UConn to also jump. But it's hard to envision, if they go all in on a conference with FB, a better fit for them than the Big 10. The Michigan schools, Ohio St., Purdue, Penn St., etc. are much more natural and historic rivals.

Reaction Score
They have longtime rivalries with BC and Pitt. They used to have a vicious rivalry with Miami.

I think they'd play 8 league games, USC, Navy, Michigan and be pretty okay with that.

Reaction Score
Would love to see ND move to the ACC to enable UConn to also jump. But it's hard to envision, if they go all in on a conference with FB, a better fit for them than the Big 10. The Michigan schools, Ohio St., Purdue, Penn St., etc. are much more natural and historic rivals.
And much less chance of ever winning the thing

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Who names their kid "Boo"?

(Nantambu Willingham doesn't count).

Reaction Score
They'd only play 7 league games in the ACC, and possibly a league championship game.

I think they'd thrive in the ACC personally, much more so than anywhere else. They may even become relevant again nationally.

But alas, too many Notre Dame boosters still live in ancient times.

Why would they only play 7? In years past, every team played 8. Are you imagining a 8-team division with no crossover game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom