OT: Notre Dame - ACC Schedule | The Boneyard

OT: Notre Dame - ACC Schedule

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just wanted to throw this out, but what happens if Notre Dame, playing a proper conference schedule for the first time ever, wins a national championship? It seems possible to me. I'm not fully convinced that Alabama has an historically strong team for them. Ohio State is almost certainly very good, but who knows with the mess that is the B1G.

I doubt that it changes things for Notre Dame, but they'd have to at least think about it.

Reaction Score
I personally think that if ND goes to the national championship game, they're going to take a long hard look at maybe joining the ACC. Their path to a big bowl is easier with a conference. I'm just not sure if Uconn will be the other invite

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is nothing more than a one off.

Notre Dame has a plenty clear path to a championship as an independent so long as they win. They can schedule top 5 teams as an independent and still get the credit for those games. If they win. Beating Clemson wasn't a big deal because it was a conference game, it was a big deal because Clemson has been on a five year bender.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will lose to Clemson at full strength in a conference championship game on an neutral field. It gets cloudy after that. I'll be curious to see how they play versus BC. BC is improved and has a history with ND.

Reaction Score
I think ND will redeclare independence before the ACC championship game so that they don't have to play Clemson again.
We have had differences of opinions in the past, but this is the most hilarious and likely true statement I have read here in a long time!

Reaction Score
interesting. So who do you see as the parasite? Notre Dame or the ACC?
Both, I suppose. We're at the point where talking heads are talking about Clemson AND ND being in the playoffs. Goals of ND and the ACC were advancement through strategic alliances and hostile raids. Working out, I'd say. Just need FSU to play competent football once again and all is good.

ND has to be every freaking final four that exists. Not a bad standard to have for an athletic department in the ACC.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't think this impacts ND's decision to be independent at all.

What amazes me is that in a season when being in a conference is critical...ND doesn't miss a beat and joins the ACC for a year. Basically using the ACC when they had no other options. They add insult to injury by catching the ACCs best team at home without their Heisman candidate quarterback. Next year....bye bye ACC.

Luck of the Irish.

Reaction Score
I don't think this impacts ND's decision to be independent at all.

What amazes me is that in a season when being in a conference is critical...ND doesn't miss a beat and joins the ACC for a year. Basically using the ACC when they had no other options. They add insult to injury by catching the ACCs best team at home without their Heisman candidate quarterback. Next year....bye bye ACC.

Luck of the Irish.

rather be lucky than good.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
ND is in a great spot to make the playoff but its because they beat Clemson already, not really because they’re in a conference. If anything, if they drop a game between now and the ACC title game and then lose the title game it would negatively impact their decision to join a league because they’d be kept out from the “additional data point”

Reaction Score

Notre Dame to the ACC as a full time member is a matter of time. Both the ACC and Notre Dame would make way more than they do now.

What's the Big East buyout after this season? Just saying, if the Big Ten can add Rutgers, the ACC can add us. We're don't have a horrible history, either. Just the last several years have been hard.

Reaction Score
Just wanted to throw this out, but what happens if Notre Dame, playing a proper conference schedule for the first time ever, wins a national championship? It seems possible to me. I'm not fully convinced that Alabama has an historically strong team for them. Ohio State is almost certainly very good, but who knows with the mess that is the B1G.

I doubt that it changes things for Notre Dame, but they'd have to at least think about it.
They are projected 10 point underdog to Clemson in the ACC title game and would be over a two touchdown underdog to Alabama in the semifinal game. They are not going to win the national championship.

Reaction Score

Notre Dame to the ACC as a full time member is a matter of time. Both the ACC and Notre Dame would make way more than they do now.

What's the Big East buyout after this season? Just saying, if the Big Ten can add Rutgers, the ACC can add us. We're don't have a horrible history, either. Just the last several years have been hard.

If the football-focused schools in the ACC didn't want us before, they definitely don't want us now. I'd be excited, but I don't see it happening. By adding Louisville they've shown they don't give a spit about academics. I'd see Memphis or Cincy being given an invite before us.

We basically needed to get a respectable football program before Notre Dame's (seemingly) inevitable joining of the ACC, but if that happens now we didn't succeed.

Reaction Score
If the football-focused schools in the ACC didn't want us before, they definitely don't want us now. I'd be excited, but I don't see it happening. By adding Louisville they've shown they don't give a spit about academics. I'd see Memphis or Cincy being given an invite before us.

We basically needed to get a respectable football program before Notre Dame's (seemingly) inevitable joining of the ACC, but if that happens now we didn't succeed.
Yes, UL and ND will clamor for Cincinnati when they heavily recruit there. Nebraska and Rutgers proves markets are a factor, too. I am pretty sure the ACC would make more money adding us than Cincinnati, with Clemson dominating college football at Alabama's level. Did the SEC add Mizzou or South Carolina thinking of football?

Nebraska football has become a wasteland in the Big Ten. UConn would benefit in recruiting by joining any P5 conference.

Reaction Score
Yes, UL and ND will clamor for Cincinnati when they heavily recruit there. Nebraska and Rutgers proves markets are a factor, too. I am pretty sure the ACC would make more money adding us than Cincinnati, with Clemson dominating college football at Alabama's level. Did the SEC add Mizzou or South Carolina thinking of football?

Nebraska football has become a wasteland in the Big Ten. UConn would benefit in recruiting by joining any P5 conference.

I don't outright disagree with any of your points, but I just don't see it happening. I'd love to be wrong, but think it's incredibly unlikely with the state of our football program. Rutgers and Maryland were definitely added to the B1G because of market expansion, but again, both of them had better football programs than we currently do. Same with Mizzou and South Carolina. Our program is historically bad over the past several years.

UConn would definitely benefit in recruiting by joining a P5 conference, but you still need to convince FSU and Clemson that adding UConn would be beneficial and I just don't see that happening. Group that with BC not wanting to compete with us and you have even more issues.

In addition to adding Cincy or Memphis, the ACC could also wait out a possible implosion of the Big 12. Texas and Oklahoma could join the SEC for a mega conference, or join the PAC 12. If that happens the ACC could go after WVU or one of the Texas schools to expand into that market.

Again, I think it would be great, and I'd love to be wrong. But I think our path to a P5 gets narrower and narrower with each passing year that our football program flails around like a fish out of water. We haven't had a winning season in 10 years. When was the last time we beat a Power Conference opponent? Probably close to just as long.

I still cheer for this team and want the best for it. Despite what many on this board say, I still think football independence will benefit us and give us a better chance to move to a P5 some day.

Reaction Score
We beat UMD, Rutgers and UL when the Big Ten and the ACC took them. Given that, it's obvious we can compete at that level again. Just need the right coach or situation. College football is coaching and recruiting. Edsall sucks as a game coach, hard to argue against that.

Reaction Score
I'll never understand why our fans would think the ACC would take Cincinnati or Memphis over the state of Connecticut. Just because they took UL, doesn't mean they'd want a second fiddle school in Ohio or Tennessee. UL can actually compete with Kentucky. WVU, fine, but Cincinnati or Memphis?

Reaction Score
I'll never understand why our fans would think the ACC would take Cincinnati or Memphis over the state of Connecticut. Just because they took UL, doesn't mean they'd want a second fiddle school in Ohio or Tennessee. UL can actually compete with Kentucky. WVU, fine, but Cincinnati or Memphis?

The struggles of BC, Cuse and Rutgers don’t help our cause. I think there may be a stigma that a Northeastern school just can’t consistently get the players needed to excel. Memphis and Cincy already get good players, without a P5 sales pitch.

We need to win and prove that it is still doable. Randy got us there once and we squandered it. Hopefully, he’s got something left in the tank.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The struggles of BC, Cuse and Rutgers don’t help our cause. I think there may be a stigma that a Northeastern school just can’t consistently get the players needed to excel. Memphis and Cincy already get good players, without a P5 sales pitch.

We need to win and prove that it is still doable. Randy got us there once and we squandered it. Hopefully, he’s got something left in the tank.
They struggle because of isolation. People will look to play for names that get more attention than them. UConn in either the ACC or the Big Ten would strengthen their members in the northeast.

Memphis lost to Tulane today. Maybe the ACC might want Tulane now.

Reaction Score
The OP is correct, it would give Notre Dame and their fans something to think about. ND doesn't even need to win it all, just qualifying for the 4 team playoff creates the discussion.

I'll root for anything that helps UCONN's chances so go IRISH!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom