Notes from BE Meeting | The Boneyard

Notes from BE Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32150361

Some parts I found interesting:

The league “will be aggressive” in replacing Pittsburgh and Syracuse and the Big East will continue talks with Navy and Air Force as football-only members, an official in the meeting told CBSSports.com. On Tuesday, CBSSports.com reported that Big East was in the final stages of adding Navy as a football-only member before Pitt and Syracuse abruptly left for the ACC. Air Force also was expected to come on board.

Another official that attended the meeting said the league’s members made a commitment to work and stay together.
“It went well,” the official said. “I think those schools that thought they were going somewhere now realize they have no where to go.”

The presidents and athletic directors from Cincinnati, UConn, Louisville, Rutgers, South Florida, TCU and West Virginia attended the meeting. Marinatto said the membership discussed increasing the withdrawal fee from $5 million.
“I don’t know if there’s a price you can put on for breaking your word and lying,” Marinatto said. “That’s priceless. I don’t know high enough of a figure to charge for being disloyal or untruthful.”

“Everyone was frustrated with the way it [Pitt and Syracuse] went down and the fact no one had any idea Syracuse and Pitt were bailing,” said an official from a Big East’s non-football member school.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I added emphasis below.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-east-united-nations-conference-realignment/1

In a statement released by the league and crafted by the members in attendance, Marinatto said, "We are committed as a conference to recruit top level BCS caliber institutions." However, in a 14-minute interview with news reporters, he took that level of commitment one step forward.
"Our schools basically went around the table and pledged to each other that they are committed to move forward together. The fact that all of our schools in less than 24 hours notice came here to New York to meet with us showed that they are committed to move forward together and they want to hear what we have to say in order to keep us together."
One official in the Big East who requested anonymity said that was not an accurate assessment of the sentiment in the room. The official said league schools are committed to recruiting more schools but did not make any pledge to remaining in the league until it's clear what the league will look like.
The official also said about four or five of the Big East schools are committed to keeping the league together, but the other two or three need to know where the league is headed before a firm commitment is made.

Reaction Score
This quote, right here:
Marinatto said the membership discussed increasing the withdrawal fee from $5 million.
“I don’t know if there’s a price you can put on for breaking your word and lying,” Marinatto said. “That’s priceless. I don’t know high enough of a figure to charge for being disloyal or untruthful.”

Loyalty left the building in 2004 John. Where the were you? If the BE is still paying this man's salary in 6 months time, other than severance, I can't even come up with the words to define how ridiculous it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul
Top Bottom