Not to Overlook Alyssa Thomas | The Boneyard

Not to Overlook Alyssa Thomas

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
She scored her 1000th point against the Lynx and posted a terrific stat line:
20 points, 8 rebounds, 8 assists and a blocked shot. Much of this work was done on Maya and Rebekkah Brunson... pretty darn good defenders.

I guarantee that on every one of her 7 defensive boards she immediately pushed the ball up court as opponents scrambled to get back. Alyssa sets the tone and pace for the Sun with her powerful and relentless coast to coast rim runs and bruising interior play. I love watching the ATrain roll down the tracks for another spinning power move to the hoop. :)

Reaction Score
One of a number of players where I wonder how nice she would have been in a UConn jersey. What can I say, the homer bug comes out from time to time. ;)

Reaction Score
I see Jonquel Jones and Courtney Williams, for examples, as do it all players. Alyssa Thomas is pretty much one dimensional. But she gets what she does to work over and over and over.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'll take a one-dimensional 20 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists any day.

I've loved Alyssa's game since early at UMD. What always stood out for me was her nose for the ball. She's not that big, but she's strong and works really hard. Hustle plays are often the difference in close games.

Reaction Score
I'll take a one-dimensional 20 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists any day.

I've loved Alyssa's game since early at UMD. What always stood out for me was her nose for the ball. She's not that big, but she's strong and works really hard. Hustle plays are often the difference in close games.

Yes - 20 points, 8 rebounds and 8 assists sounds like contributing to the win in at least three dimensions. :p (I realize the original "one dimensional" the reference was to her limited scoring abilities. It's amazing how much she manages to score at times despite having such a limited offensive game.)

So glad to see the Sun playing hard, playing smart and winning! I look forward to watching them keep it up.

psconn

Reaction Score
I see Jonquel Jones and Courtney Williams, for examples, as do it all players. Alyssa Thomas is pretty much one dimensional. But she gets what she does to work over and over and over.

Everyone on the court, the benches, and even in the stands knows what Alyssa is going to do with the ball. Since draft night the rap has been "one dimensional". BUT, as you point out, when Alyssa is on, she is close to unstoppable. As I've said a hundred times during her Sun career, if she can add a legit mid-range game, she will be a perennial All-star.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I liked Alyssa's physique when I first saw her at Maryland. She looked like a taller Maya. I'd still like to see her improve her jump shot, but she has improved at using her off-hand. I thought she was limited, but looked good against Minnesota and is playing well this year. I don't expect 20/8/8 on a regular basis, but she looks like a much better player than she was as a rookie.

psconn

Reaction Score
As mentioned in the UK thread, Alyssa Thomas named Player of the Week.

The Sun was ranked 7th in the AP Power Rankings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom