Not to get off topic but... | The Boneyard

Not to get off topic but...

Reaction Score
....How is Michigan State STILL in the latest bracketology and a 10 no less? I don´t want to hear ¨the bubble is weak¨ this year, because even then, this is a weak team. They got smoked by an average Michigan team and Purdue creamed them recently. Just because they play good teams in the OOC? Even if they lose all of them? Plus a one point win over FGCU and a loss to NEastern. I am sure this recent injury will be used as an excuse to include them even if it was late in the season. They will also get some weak team like South Carolina and waltz into the round of 32 because I am sure MSU will be invited. Ugh. If they lose to Wisconsin and Maryland they will end the season 18-13 with their best OOC win WState and best Big10 win over....Minnesota twice? Northwestern? Both fringe top 40 teams.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Its the NCAA - where have you been?
Its a place where Cuse and Puke are rewarded for having their coach being out - medically or via punishment
Where a school in under investigation for phony courses and phony grades for the past 3 years and still nothing happens
It's where schools can put themselves on probation when it best suits them
Its a cesspool and won't get better until the head pooper scooper is ousted

Reaction Score
I'm not a big Michigan State or Izzo fan. I think he's a big talker who can't coach a guard to save his life, but there's an outside chance they finish with 20 wins. Seems like a 20 win Big 10 school is in.

Reaction Score
If they get in they'll talk coaching and history. If we meet and beat them in the NIT it will be how weak they are. Still wouldn't mind seeing that happen if we don't run the table in Hartford.

Reaction Score
....How is Michigan State STILL in the latest bracketology and a 10 no less? I don´t want to hear ¨the bubble is weak¨ this year, because even then, this is a weak team. They got smoked by an average Michigan team and Purdue creamed them recently. Just because they play good teams in the OOC? Even if they lose all of them? Plus a one point win over FGCU and a loss to NEastern. I am sure this recent injury will be used as an excuse to include them even if it was late in the season. They will also get some weak team like South Carolina and waltz into the round of 32 because I am sure MSU will be invited. Ugh. If they lose to Wisconsin and Maryland they will end the season 18-13 with their best OOC win WState and best Big10 win over....Minnesota twice? Northwestern? Both fringe top 40 teams.
RPI of 43, 4 top 5o wins, 8 top 100 wins, scheduled aggressively in the non conference.

Reaction Score
Always respected Izzo but getting on his high horse and calling out Dan Dakich put him in a-**le territory!

Screw Michigan State

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Power conference schools vs. mid-majors. When it comes down to close calls, the PC teams will always get the nod.

Reaction Score
Syracuse being in with an RPI of 83 (!) is a far greater problem to me.
If they don't beat Duke or Louisville, they'll be 17-14 (9-9), RPI of 91, SOS 42, 8-11 vs. RPI 100, with at least 2 sub-100 losses.

In other words, it's only a matter of time before they're far off the bubble, or have earned their way in

Reaction Score
If they don't beat Duke or Louisville, they'll be 17-14 (9-9), RPI of 91, SOS 42, 8-11 vs. RPI 100, with at least 2 sub-100 losses.

In other words, it's only a matter of time before they're far off the bubble, or have earned their way in

I still think they need to beat Tech and win a game in the acc tournament even if they get the split.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Maybe George Lopez threatened the NCAA that he'd start another show if M State doesn't get in.

Reaction Score
Could be a "banner year" for the NIT if a few teams finish poorly. Three blue bloods (Indiana, Mich State, UConn) plus Syracuse to boot.

Reaction Score
Could be a "banner year" for the NIT if a few teams finish poorly. Three blue bloods (Indiana, Mich State, UConn) plus Syracuse to boot.
That's sounds wonderful.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

Could you imagine an NIT Final Four of UConn, Syracuse, Indiana, and Michigan State? The people at MSG, ESPN, and the NIT would need to towel themselves off from the joy.:D

Reaction Score
Who knows, an NIT final 4 that would include cuse, uconn, msu and Indiana could have teams that people recognize more than whatever 4 end up in the final 4 if some surprise makes it that far (gmason, butler, etc. type team).

Reaction Score
RPI of 43, 4 top 5o wins, 8 top 100 wins, scheduled aggressively in the non conference.
Stating actual facts to support the inclusion as opposed to rambling conspiracy theories about the NCAA, I wonder which post gets more likes in the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
scheduled aggressively in the non conference.
and lost all of those p5 games....yah...and got smoked by an average michigan squad and got clobbered by purdue...yup, 'dem facts.

Reaction Score
and lost all of those p5 games....yah...and got smoked by an average michigan squad and got clobbered by purdue...yup, 'dem facts.
Michigan is a projected 9 seed on that bracket, with an RPI of 53. Purdue is what a 4 seed. Losing two road games in conference, wow, count them out!

Their P5 losses are to UK, Baylor, Duke, and Arizona. None at home. They have 2 losses to teams outside the Top 50 of the RPI.

I mean if you want to argue against them fine, but these two arguments you made are horrible.

Reaction Score
UConn still has a ways to go to get on the NIT bubble.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The normal bubble bickering aside, why is everyone ignoring 2 mid majors that have at large possibilities?

Princeton (remember ivy has a tourney now)
Monmouth

Seeing Clemson and G Tech mentioned by the Bristol idiots makes me actually believe some of the conspiracy nonsense.

Reaction Score
The normal bubble bickering aside, why is everyone ignoring 2 mid majors that have at large possibilities?

Princeton (remember ivy has a tourney now)
Monmouth

Seeing Clemson and G Tech mentioned by the Bristol idiots makes me actually believe some of the conspiracy nonsense.
I would love to see the final at larges to go to schools like Princeton or Mommoth over middling P5 teams like Clemson or Ga Tech, but sadly it rarely happens.

Princeton and Mommouth have 1 top 100 win each, Ga Tech has 4 top 26 wins (UNC, VCU, FSU, and ND) so its hard to justify it by the numbers but it would make the NCAAT much more interesting and entertaining.

Reaction Score
The tournament committee is pretty clear about how they select teams for the tournament, but if you want to continue to be mystified, go right ahead.

Reaction Score
I would love to see the final at larges to go to schools like Princeton or Mommoth over middling P5 teams like Clemson or Ga Tech, but sadly it rarely happens.

Princeton and Mommouth have 1 top 100 win each, Ga Tech has 4 top 26 wins (UNC, VCU, FSU, and ND) so its hard to justify it by the numbers but it would make the NCAAT much more interesting and entertaining.

The tournament committee is pretty clear about how they select teams for the tournament, but if you want to continue to be mystified, go right ahead.

See, that's the thing. I don't think it's particularly clear, and while I'm not a conspiracy guy, when you don't have a clearly defined, numerical formula, it opens the door for bias - subconscious or otherwise - to seep into the decisions. And that bias is going to favor P5 teams a lot of the time (it's worth mentioning that there are plenty of examples to the contrary, like Tulsa and Temple both getting in last year - I didn't think either of them belonged in).

I don't know whether, in 2017, they're using RPI or KenPom, but trying to straddle the line between the two is dicey, particularly when you have teams like Georgia Tech and Wake Forest on opposite ends of the spectrum.

The thought that a team like Syracuse would be in over Rhode Island is absurd to me.

Reaction Score
Yup, it is soooo crystal clear. That is why there are so many bracketologists now and so many articles after the fact stating snubs...Right. Go Pick the 68 teams (in March). Go. Now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom