Not the refs fault but they sucked. | The Boneyard

Not the refs fault but they sucked.

Reaction Score
Starting 0-13 from the arc killed us.

But the refs absolutely put us in a position where it was impossible. The traveling calls when we didn't travel, the ball off the ref inbounds that they gave to Iowa, they were awful and one sided.

But Ollie would have just sat there. Hurley will not give you a pass. UConn will not go silently into the night. Jerk UConn around at the risk of having everyone noticing your incompetence.

Anyone making excuses for the refs is just flat wrong.

Reaction Score
I dare say, it was so bad, ESPN stopped showing replays of the calls. They literally did not show a replay of anything but a made basket for the last 10 minutes of the game. I really wanted to see how Eric Cobb fouled Cook on a tip in. Alas, no luck.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The number of times that Iowa players initiated contact on offense and drew fouls was incredible.

Where our defender is straight up and takes it to the chest.

Then on the other end we get arm contact at the rim and no call.

I also don’t think it’s the reason we got smoked, but you have to point it out.

Reaction Score
The number of times that Iowa players initiated contact on offense and drew fouls was incredible.
Thank you for pointing this out. You barley hear this called out, and frankly, I’m sure my wife is tired of my shouting this on most possessions.

Also, as good and strong as he is he clears out with every back to basket move. With the elbow or forearm. Never brought it up.

Reaction Score
Thank you for pointing this out. You barley hear this called out, and frankly, I’m sure my wife is tired of my shouting this on most possessions.

Also, as good and strong as he is he clears out with every back to basket move. With the elbow or forearm. Never brought it up.

Reaction Score
Iowa has been great at drawing fouls so far this year. They are also very good at defending with their arms up. Not a good match up for us so early in the season. It’s surprising how bad we have been at valuing the ball especilly with all of the guards we play.

We won a lot of game at the line when we had Kemba. North/South with penetration. We have been lacking that in recent years.

Offensive sets were not good. I know we don’t have too much frontcourt talent but you have to flatten the defensive with ball entry into the middle. Too much dribbling and perimeter passing tonight. That coupled with Iowa’s great defense stunted the scoring and flow of offense.

Reaction Score
I’m going to actually blame the refs for the majority of this one. So many whistles so early killed all possible momentum, got us down quickly, and couldn’t recover. We need to cut wayyyy down on turnovers(we will), but that put us out of position on defense and that’s where all these ticky tack fouls came from.

I give the refs a D-, our post defense an F and our rebounding an F-

Yuck.

Reaction Score
Starting 0-13 from the arc killed us.

But the refs absolutely put us in a position where it was impossible. The traveling calls when we didn't travel, the ball off the ref inbounds that they gave to Iowa, they were awful and one sided.

But Ollie would have just sat there. Hurley will not give you a pass. UConn will not go silently into the night. Jerk UConn around at the risk of having everyone noticing your incompetence.

Anyone making excuses for the refs is just flat wrong.
Yep, not at all why we lost but they were worse than most high school refs. They didn't even know the rules.

Reaction Score
I dare say, it was so bad, ESPN stopped showing replays of the calls. They literally did not show a replay of anything but a made basket for the last 10 minutes of the game. I really wanted to see how Eric Cobb fouled Cook on a tip in. Alas, no luck.
Fraschilla knew we were getting jobbed.

Reaction Score
Iowa has been great at drawing fouls so far this year. They are also very good at defending with their arms up. Not a good match up for us so early in the season. It’s surprising how bad we have been at valuing the ball especilly with all of the guards we play.

We won a lot of game at the line when we had Kemba. North/South with penetration. We have been lacking that in recent years.

Offensive sets were not good. I know we don’t have too much frontcourt talent but you have to flatten the defensive with ball entry into the middle. Too much dribbling and perimeter passing tonight. That coupled with Iowa’s great defense stunted the scoring and flow of offense.
With Cobb as the best post scorer we’ve had sinc Gavin I think we can open things up a bit. And he is a real asset to pick and rolls as he can screen, post, pass, and eventually decoy guys away from the rim. He is short but multi dimensional. Whaley needs to focus on being Dennis Rodman. Period. He can play at this level if he grasps his role.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Yep, not at all why we lost but they were worse than most high school refs. They didn't even know the rules.
Another one, was that Yakwe(sp) who had that arm tangle and drew a T? Even with the replay, are you kidding me?

Reaction Score
The refs killed us. You can’t get into a rhythm or make a run when a bad call comes every 2 minutes. I won’t blame the loss on the refs but I’ll blame us never being in the game on them. Without all that garbage, we’d have been competitive.

As far as the turnovers go, I think it is more a result of wanting to push tempo and have quick ball movement, as they are being taught to do. They have to learn how to do it with control and discretion. It takes time to go from stand around, pound the rock to 40 minutes of chaos on both ends. Give it time. I’ll take our guards over the best bigs around in 2-3 months.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was the refs who set the tone early on, it was us never getting into any kind of rhythm on offense, it was us committing unforced turnovers a boatload of times and just being overall sloppy, it was us not being able to buy a 3-pointer until the game was well out of reach, and mostly it was Iowa's bigs making us look like a high school team. Tyler Cook could have beaten us 1 on 5 he was so dominant.

It was a bitter pill, but a reality check that we're still very much a work in progress. We'll be back & better for it.

Reaction Score
Another one, was that Yakwe(sp) who had that arm tangle and drew a T? Even with the replay, are you kidding me?
That was a ridiculous call. They went to the monitor and still called that a T. For what? I really didn't understand that call.

In general the officiating was bad but UConn got killed. I don't think any officiating would have made much of a difference in the outcome of that game.

Reaction Score
The T was actually the correct call based on a monumentality stupid rule. At this point if you can purposefully pin a guy’s arm and draw a flagrant when he tries to lift up to get out of it.

Reaction Score
My recollection of that play was that the Iowa player pinned Yakwe's arm by gaining leverage above Yakwe's upper arm. The Iowa player should have been called for the "T".
Anyone analyze the videotape?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

That was easily the worst call. There was absolutely zero pulling.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
My recollection of that play was that the Iowa player pinned Yakwe's arm by gaining leverage above Yakwe's upper arm. The Iowa player should have been called for the "T".
Anyone analyze the videotape?

Exactly. He forced his arm onto Yakwes

Reaction Score
I want to know what was said to get Hurley tossed. He says he was talking to Jalen. He was no where near the referee. It is extremely rare for a coach to be tossed and that referee made a concerted point to do so. Considering most coaches are seen doing 1000% worse to refs every game I want to know what happened.

Reaction Score
Watching the game, I was wishing Jay Bilas was calling the game and ripping the refs every time they were in earshot.
The 3 point shooting was bad, but it is so hard to get an offensive and even defensive rhythm going when refs are so inconsistent. They were only consistently bad.
I found it interesting that Fraschilla kept talking about players having the right to move on defense if they are squared to the defender against Syracuse. I don't remember him mentioning that at all last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom