Not the first time UConn basketball was prioritized | The Boneyard

Not the first time UConn basketball was prioritized

Reaction Score
The most interesting part of this article is buried near the end. In order to entice UConn, WTIC promised them whenever a UConn basketball game conflicted with the Whalers they would air the UConn game.

Oops.

I mean what's the worst thing that can happen? The Whalers feel jilted and taken for granted and move to Raleigh? Don't make me laugh!

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Basketball has taken a back seat to football ever since we made the leap.

And guess what. They had their chance and failed.

Time to treat our university for what it is. The college basketball capital of the world.

Sorry, not sorry.

Reaction Score

Time to treat our university for what it is. The college basketball capital of the world.

Sorry, not sorry.

I'm thrilled about the choice. Simply pointing out that prioritizing UConn b-ball probably had consequences in the 90's and it will probably have consequences going forward.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
I'm thrilled about the choice. Simply pointing out that prioritizing UConn b-ball probably had consequences in the 90's and it will probably have consequences going forward.

4 championships were pretty great consequences. Let's do that again. :D

Reaction Score
Why is this bball-only love fest in the football forum? Or is the point of this thread to see which one of you can be the biggest "jerk" on the football board?

Reaction Score
I'm a die hard basketball fan. But I just think it's all interesting. UConn became the hot new (winning) girlfriend in this state starting in 1990 and upstaged the ball and chain (usually last place) Whalers for attention. Jim Calhoun may have inadvertently killed the Whalers and Jim Calhoun's ghost (I know he's still alive but work with me here) may have killed (or put the final nail in the coffin) UConn football. Just an observation. Not saying it's good or bad so no one get their panties in a bunch.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Why is this bball-only love fest in the football forum? Or is the point of this thread to see which one of you can be the biggest "jerk" on the football board?

Oops...

giphy (1).gif

Reaction Score

Sorry, not sorry.
Had our chance? Hardly. We were relegated to the AAC because of Gene D and BC. UConn football was very successful but it was derailed by conference realignment. UConn basketball was also suffering in the AAC.
You really aren’t much of a UCONN fan with that attitude.

Reaction Score

Sorry, not sorry.
.... when it comes to sports dollars nobody cares about the men’s college basketball capital of the world let alone the women’s college basketball capital ....if they did we’d be in a P5 conference. Apparently the 10 Million to KO was putting basketball second? ... ridiculous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom