Not really OT but I wonder if this article.... | The Boneyard

Not really OT but I wonder if this article....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A really good read. Thanks for posting.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow, not even sure what to think about that article. Interesting read though. Pretty well written. Odd though, really odd.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Although it is certainly very politically correct to allow previously male transexuals to play in women's sports, it is ultimately providing that player with a distinct genetic advantage. In a sport like basketball, where one dominant player can dramatically increase a team's chances, it makes it unfair for teams.

However, from what I briefly saw scanning the web, the Olympics and WNBA may now have similar rules

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Lets get real - changing your sex - the operation, the years before the operation taking hormones, and all the heartache, is not something someone is going to do simply to improve their chances of playing college or pro ball. There are also years of counciling and pulling off a fake desire is not very likely.
And while height is certainly an atribute, the loss of muscle mass due to the hormones probably makes controling that height a lot harder.
This is never going to become a trend - it is too rare to combine the athletic competitiveness with a desire to change sexual identity and the transition time is so long that most of a career would have been forfitted before it was completed.
There has already been a pro tennis transexual playing professionally without much success by the way.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Lets get real - changing your sex - the operation, the years before the operation taking hormones, and all the heartache, is not something someone is going to do simply to improve their chances of playing college or pro ball. There are also years of counciling and pulling off a fake desire is not very likely.
And while height is certainly an atribute, the loss of muscle mass due to the hormones probably makes controling that height a lot harder.
This is never going to become a trend - it is too rare to combine the athletic competitiveness with a desire to change sexual identity and the transition time is so long that most of a career would have been forfitted before it was completed.
There has already been a pro tennis transexual playing professionally without much success by the way.
So far, it appears that the NCAA has only allowed players who are gone through the full procedure to be eligible, but I highly doubt that the NCAA would ever require that a player undergo any specific medical therapy whether this would include surgical alteration or taking hormones to gain eligibility. This is the slippery slope to which UcMiami refers...it may very well be enough for a player to say that they self-identify with the female gender and therefore request eligibility. a player has dominant as Britney is already very famous and has a lucrative financial career in their future. It is conceivable that this type of precedent will allow more nascent male players into the women's game and I agree that it would very much be a detriment to women's sport.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So far, it appears that the NCAA has only allowed players who are gone through the full procedure to be eligible, but I highly doubt that the NCAA would ever require that a player undergo any specific medical therapy whether this would include surgical alteration or taking hormones to gain eligibility. This is the slippery slope to which UcMiami refers...it may very well be enough for a player to say that they self-identify with the female gender and therefore request eligibility. a player has dominant as Britney is already very famous and has a lucrative financial career in their future. It is conceivable that this type of precedent will allow more nascent male players into the women's game and I agree that it would very much be a detriment to women's sport.
I really don't think allowing a player who still has male genitalia to play on a women's team will ever be sanctioned - the only cases I am aware of involve full sex change operations and I just don't see that as being likely to change. They have even excluded from competitions women who genetically produce too much testosterone but who are undoubtibly female and who have not illegally injected the hormone.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
A few friends of my play on senior teams that have won an NC at their age level. This year they came up against a team with a transexual. One of my friends got very bruised up, unlike anything in the 7 years she has been playing. the opposing player didnt play basketball in college but was a backup at some position in football.

Some of their concerns is that it is possible for a state team to get a few have that gone through a sex change operation which could give the team a potential advantage.

These are the senior teams that play 3 on 3.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom