OT: - Not quite off-topic really - Quiz - Women's Basketball Coaches with an NFL Bonus Section | The Boneyard

OT: Not quite off-topic really - Quiz - Women's Basketball Coaches with an NFL Bonus Section

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A new quiz in honor of the upcoming season. Some WBB history (mostly coaches), some current coaches and an NFL bonus section: (mods move to general WBB if you prefer)

1 – In the early ‘80’s, USC won 2 national championships behind Cheryl Miller and Cynthia Cooper. The head coach of those teams, in the WBB Hall of Fame, was?

2 – Also featured on the team were a pair of twins. One went on to play in the WNBA, have her son play in the NBA, and have her daughter play in the WNBA. Both her and her son won Olympic Gold Medals. Who was she?

3 – Staying with the “way back” machine – we hear a lot about the “Wade” Trophy – where did Margaret Wade coach?

4 – We can also remember those “Mighty Macs”. Theresa Shank, Rene Muth and Marianne Crawford all went on to notable head coaching careers. We know them better as?

5 – The head coach of those “Mighty Mac” teams was?

6 – Vivian Stringer was one of 2 pioneering female black head coaches at major universities. The other coached at one university for 31 years, with a lifetime record of 560-363. Coach and school?

7 – There were some very famous coaches over the years, closely associated with particular schools. Do we know the schools to associate with Joe Ciampi, Elaine Elliott, Dr. Jill Hutchinson or Rhonda Rompola?

8 – While there may be others, I know of only one Head Women’s Basketball Coach at a major program who hailed from Japan. Can you name the former Oregon State coach?

9 – Can we name the oldest Power 5 Head Coach? The longest tenured at their current school?

10 – Same question – Big East – oldest, longest tenured.

11 – Which of the major conferences has the most coaches in their first season this year?

12 – Which of the “Power 5” conferences has the most coaches that were hired without head coaching experience? The current Big East has the same number.

13 – Which of the “Power 5” plus Big East conferences has the most male coaches? Who is second?

14 – There are 5 Tennessee graduates among the head coaching ranks – who?

15 – And, finally, name 3 schools where the female head coach’s husband is on the staff.

NFL Bonus –

16 – Sixteen of the 32 Head Coaches in the NFL came to their position from a Coordinator position. The big question – were most Offensive Coordinators or Defensive Coordinators?

17 – Five NFL coaches have also coached in the NCAA. Names?

18 – What is the only NCAA school that has 2 former head coaches as HC in the NFL?

19 – And finally, who is the oldest NFL coach?

And totally random –

20 – Great Nicknames department – what sport gave us Toe Blake, King Clancy and Gump Worsley?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
15 – And, finally, name 3 schools where the female head coach’s husband is on the staff.
Well I know 2 of them--Arizona and Gonzaga. A year ago Washington also would've been a correct answer (and a couple coaches before Wynn also saw a husband/wife duo at UW, who then went on to be a duo at Washington St.). Must be a West Coast thing?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
8 – While there may be others, I know of only one Head Women’s Basketball Coach at a major program who hailed from Japan. Can you name the former Oregon State coach?
Without looking it up, I want to say Aki Hill?

Reaction Score
A new quiz in honor of the upcoming season. Some WBB history (mostly coaches), some current coaches and an NFL bonus section: (mods move to general WBB if you prefer)

1 – In the early ‘80’s, USC won 2 national championships behind Cheryl Miller and Cynthia Cooper. The head coach of those teams, in the WBB Hall of Fame, was?
LINDA SHARP
2 – Also featured on the team were a pair of twins. One went on to play in the WNBA, have her son play in the NBA, and have her daughter play in the WNBA. Both her and her son won Olympic Gold Medals. Who was she?
THE McGHEEs -- ILL SAY PAM
3 – Staying with the “way back” machine – we hear a lot about the “Wade” Trophy – where did Margaret Wade coach?
Delta St?
4 – We can also remember those “Mighty Macs”. Theresa Shank, Rene Muth and Marianne Crawford all went on to notable head coaching careers. We know them better as?
GRENTZ, PORTLAND, STANLEY
5 – The head coach of those “Mighty Mac” teams was?
CATHY RUSH
6 – Vivian Stringer was one of 2 pioneering female black head coaches at major universities. The other coached at one university for 31 years, with a lifetime record of 560-363. Coach and school?
Either the coach at Syracuse or Kansas. I'll say Kansas, Marian Washington.
7 – There were some very famous coaches over the years, closely associated with particular schools. Do we know the schools to associate with Joe Ciampi, Elaine Elliott, Dr. Jill Hutchinson or Rhonda Rompola?
Ciampi AUBURN,

9 – Can we name the oldest Power 5 Head Coach? The longest tenured at their current school?
Oldest: Gary Blair ?
Longest tenure: Tara ?
10 – Same question – Big East – oldest, longest tenured.
Doug Bruno for both?
11 – Which of the major conferences has the most coaches in their first season this year?
SEC?
12 – Which of the “Power 5” conferences has the most coaches that were hired without head coaching experience? The current Big East has the same number.

13 – Which of the “Power 5” plus Big East conferences has the most male coaches? Who is second?
By most, do you mean highest % or most in terms of #.
In %, I think it's BgE, B12, ACC
In #s, I think it's BgE, ACC, B12

14 – There are 5 Tennessee graduates among the head coaching ranks – who?
Jolly-Harper, Elzy, WichitaSt coach (Adams?)?, Lawson,
Tenn, Baylor, Vandy
NFL Bonus –

16 – Sixteen of the 32 Head Coaches in the NFL came to their position from a Coordinator position. The big question – were most Offensive Coordinators or Defensive Coordinators?

17 – Five NFL coaches have also coached in the NCAA. Names?
Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll,
18 – What is the only NCAA school that has 2 former head coaches as HC in the NFL?
Fla?
19 – And finally, who is the oldest NFL coach?
tampa bay?
And totally random –

20 – Great Nicknames department – what sport gave us Toe Blake, King Clancy and Gump Worsley?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
4. Theresa Grentz, Rene Portland and Marianne Stanley

5. Cathy Rush

7. Joe Ciampi - Auburn
Elaine Elliott - Utah
Dr Jill Hutchison Illinois State
Rhonda Rhompola SMU. (Rhonda and I attended the same HS in NJ)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well I know 2 of them--Arizona and Gonzaga. A year ago Washington also would've been a correct answer (and a couple coaches before Wynn also saw a husband/wife duo at UW, who then went on to be a duo at Washington St.). Must be a West Coast thing?
I think the other is Shea Ralph at Vandy.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
6. Marianne Washington at Kansas

Some additional trivia: Marianne Washington shares the same alma mater with a very well-known WCBB coach. Who is that coach?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
6. Marianne Washington at Kansas

Some additional trivia: Marianne Washington shares the same alma mater with a very well-known WCBB coach. Who is that coach?
I don't actually have any idea, but when I was confirming the accuracy of my questions I think I saw she was from West Chester, so Geno?

On the wife / hubby combos, there are indeed more than 3, even in the Power 5; I said 3 because I was thinking Shea, Adia and one that has not yet been mentioned off the top of my head. My wife reminded me of Tennessee after I posted the quiz.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't actually have any idea, but when I was confirming the accuracy of my questions I think I saw she was from West Chester, so Geno?
Yes. She grew up in the West Chester area. It might have been West Chester State College back when she attended.

Reaction Score
17- Arians Rhule Carroll Kingsbury Meyer
18-Temple Arians & Rhule
19- Pete Carroll

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm shocked about how rapidly you folks new these. I probably shouldn't be, very knowing bunch.

1. Vowelguy knows of Linda K. Sharp, the former USC head coach. I was at her WBB Hall of Fame induction, the same year as Vivian Stringer.

2. Vowelguy again - Pam McGee; Zanzman named the twins, but picked the wrong one

3. Wade did indeed coach at Delta State, although the majority of her storied career was in high school ball. Vowelguy again.

4. Three of you know that Theresa Grentz, Rene Portland and Marianne Stanley were teammates for Immaculata.

5. Immaculata's coach was indeed Cathy Rush. Thanks, Vowelguy and UConnCat.

6. Marian Washington, of Kansas, as noted by Vowelguy (again) and UConnCat with additional information. Mention was made of Marianna Freeman of Syracuse. Nope. Only 10 years, quite unsuccessful.

7. See UConnCat for the breakdown of where these 4 coached. All are well known, Ciampi by far the most successful.

8. NW remembers Aki Hill - from NW's neck of the woods.

9. The positively amazing Vowelguy knows that Gary Blair is oldest (CVS is second) and Tara is longest tenured. Her Stanford tenure began the same year Geno arrived at UConn.

10. But Vowelguy isn't perfect. While he knows Doug Bruno is oldest BE coach, Geno is longest tenured; Bruno coached one year in the '70's but didn't return till Geno's 3rd year.

11. Now I'm wondering if Vowelguy stole my answer-key. Yes, SEC has 4 new head coaches this year; several conferences with 2.

12. ACC has the most coaches that are currently in their first "gig" leading their program. Six or seven, depending on if you credit Sue Semrau's DIII experience. For some reason the NCAA doesn't seem to, although they typically do. No one got this.

13. The most male coaches are in the Big East (8); the Big 12, six.

14. Vowelguy again - with a shot - correctly identifies former Lady Vols Harper, Lawson and Elzy. Nope on Adams, and I was thinking Power 5 anyway. The other 2 unnamed - Nikki McCray-Penson at Mississippi State and Wes Moore of NC State qualify.

15. Lots of answers by several. Only "wrong" answer was Baylor (her husband is a former head coach, but not on staff). Missing - Kristy Curry's husband Kelly, on staff at Alabama.

16. No one gave this a shot. The most common prior position for the current NFL head coaches was Offensive Coordinator.

17. and 18. and 19. See Jibariqua who knows all of these football answers.

20. Kaizen jumped right on these famous hockey names.

Thanks all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom