Not OT: Jim Calhoun says.....(womens' ball) | The Boneyard

Not OT: Jim Calhoun says.....(womens' ball)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
'yes' to the St. Joseph's offer. I see that he has accepted that offer from D3 St. Joseph's in West Hartford.
I gather that the job of 'coach' will become official a bit down the road....maybe due to his current job as consultant to UConn? But that is what he will be doing...getting the whistle back....on the court.
Note: this is the first year that men have been admitted to the college. Next year will be the first men's team.
I assume he will be setting up a schedule....doing some recruiting [no athletic schollies for D3 schools].
His name will have serious buzz. Amherst is typically the best D3 in New England. Will he get to that level in 3 or 4 years?

It's clear that JC is a lifer....I do love this move....and am glad that he is not going to a school competing with UConn...that might tarnish his UConn cred with a few.

Can he still work for UConn in some capacity while coaching St. Joe's?
Just might be a few media in the gym come November 2018 for Jump Ball #1.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun is a really fine person. I suspect his family situation and own health issues significantly "humanized" what might otherwise have been an entirely "type A", take-no-prisoners, D-1 coach. Not that these are "good" things, but one makes the best of them, and he most certainly has. He'll be great in his new job, too.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If it keeps him engaged and happier than otherwise, right on.

Jim Calhoun Coming Out Of Retirement To Be 'Architect' At St. Joseph In West Hartford

Calhoun, who has been working for UConn and also appearing on ESPN college basketball telecasts since retiring as coach in September 2012, revealed at his charity golf tournament Aug. 14 that he was considering an offer to coach, and wanted "to get a whistle back in my lips." His wife, Pat, gave her blessing and Calhoun then awaited word from UConn and from the ethics board, about how he could keep his advisory position at UConn and go to work for St. Joseph. This is the arrangement that was finally worked out, at least for the short term.

Reaction Score
If it keeps him engaged and happier than otherwise, right on.

Jim Calhoun Coming Out Of Retirement To Be 'Architect' At St. Joseph In West Hartford

Calhoun, who has been working for UConn and also appearing on ESPN college basketball telecasts since retiring as coach in September 2012, revealed at his charity golf tournament Aug. 14 that he was considering an offer to coach, and wanted "to get a whistle back in my lips." His wife, Pat, gave her blessing and Calhoun then awaited word from UConn and from the ethics board, about how he could keep his advisory position at UConn and go to work for St. Joseph. This is the arrangement that was finally worked out, at least for the short term.
And in a state with a budget crisis, this is certainly excellent PR for UConn.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Good for Jim. Perfect position for him without the big pressure of D1.

The guy knows basketball. These players are going to have a great experience.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun is a really fine person. I suspect his family situation and own health issues significantly "humanized" what might otherwise have been an entirely "type A", take-no-prisoners, D-1 coach. Not that these are "good" things, but one makes the best of them, and he most certainly has. He'll be great in his new job, too.
Not unlike Geno, Jim's private persona is a bit different from his public one. There are many, many anecdotes about his relationship with his players, even those who transferred.

I believe the AD at St. Joe's is a life long friend of Jim's and "the coach" of the team will be his former assistant Glenn Miller. This is Jim just helping out friends, which is a pretty big driver for him.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
But where's the connection to "women's ball" as included in the thread's title?
Maybe he's going to coach both men and women's teams.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
But where's the connection to "women's ball" as included in the thread's title?

Well you know when you click on new posts.... it shows all new posts across all the forums? Perhaps the women's bball was added to let people know this particular thread was in the women's section.... not the men's section.

Reaction Score
Well you know when you click on new posts.... it shows all new posts across all the forums? Perhaps the women's bball was added to let people know this particular thread was in the women's section.... not the men's section.
ought to be a law against your avatar....looks ridiculously good...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
ought to be a law against your avatar....looks ridiculously good...
I had forgotten that I changed the avatar .... I was thinking it was something else :eek:;):p:D
Oughta be a law against his avatar's. They all look ridiculously good. Man's a sadist.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just for the record: my original title did not include anything about 'women's ball'...it was strictly OT.
I assume a moderator added a few words....since they are generically wonderful I have no problem with it.

Reaction Score
His wife probably wanted him out of the house;-).

Took him for better or worse but not for lunch!

He'll probably do a great job. The nuns might hear a few expressions they will have to Google.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom