Not all sweetness and light in the ACC-8 BCS schools see attendance decline, 3 will be in ACC | The Boneyard

Not all sweetness and light in the ACC-8 BCS schools see attendance decline, 3 will be in ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Eight BCS schools see a 10% decline or greater

Eight BCS schools experienced attendance declines of 10 percent or greater from 2011: Kentucky (17 percent); Maryland (15 percent); Stanford (13 percent); and Cincinnati, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, North Carolina and Colorado (10 percent each.)

http://mobile.al.com/advbirm/pm_31139/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=HvAXU0lb

I guess for miami 10% of 0 is 0.

This decline is magnified because it comes on the heels of the ACC seeing a 20 year low in attendance last year.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/9111449/

How are them ACC apples?

Reaction Score
It is the economy. A lot of true diehard fans think it is just not worth the $ and time to go to a meaningless bowl game. A national championship game will always be the exception.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It is the economy. A lot of true diehard fans think it is just not worth the $ and time to go to a meaningless bowl game. A national championship game will always be the exception.

Not just the economy but the date of the game. When they started moving the BCS Bowl games to weekend nights, AFTER New Years, it put those attendance figures at risk. It's easier to get some time off between X-Mas and New years and attend a game in a warm locale. However, to take time off after New Years day is not as easy. Granted this is coming from a teacher so my vacations are set in stone but I'd imagine the same would be for any families that bring kids along.

Reaction Score
Its a good thing that the fans have the tough economy as an excuse to not go to a bowl game in their own state. Back in 2010 when things were just roaring along in the US, even having to fly across the country wasnt a good excuse. I bet they will also cite the fact that tickets can be had for $7 on Stubhub as reasons to not buy from the school, which is now also an acceptible excuse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not just the economy. It's competition from the experience of watching on television and the internet.

Go to any game: NFL, MLB, CFB - there are as many people buried in their phones as watching the game.

Like the networks had to deal with competition from cable - live events have to compete with everything from Facebook to Netflix.

I never thought I'd be one of those people but I've turned down Giants tickets because I'd rather not deal with a 6 hour round trip and feeling like until Tuesday because it's just as much fun to make a bunch of bets and watch RedZone.

Reaction Score
It's not just the economy. It's competition from the experience of watching on television and the internet.

Go to any game: NFL, MLB, CFB - there are as many people buried in their phones as watching the game.

Like the networks had to deal with competition from cable - live events have to compete with everything from Facebook to Netflix.

I never thought I'd be one of those people but I've turned down Giants tickets because I'd rather not deal with a 6 hour round trip and feeling like **** until Tuesday because it's just as much fun to make a bunch of bets and watch RedZone.
Could not agree more. It amazes me how many people who go to games just do not pay attention to the action on the field.

Reaction Score
I guess for miami 10% of 0 is 0.

Difficult math for a Miami grad.

Reaction Score
Not just the economy but the date of the game. When they started moving the BCS Bowl games to weekend nights, AFTER New Years, it put those attendance figures at risk. It's easier to get some time off between X-Mas and New years and attend a game in a warm locale

Well but we are talking about Florida St playing in its home state. I imagine there are an awful lot of FSU alums within a few hours drive of Miami.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Well but we are talking about Florida St playing in its home state. I imagine there are an awful lot of FSU alums within a few hours drive of Miami.

That game I agree with. If there was a BCS game in NYC or Philly and UConn was in it I would hope we'd have no trouble selling our ticket allotment. However, FSU fans probably feel that they're better than playing NIU so they'd rather stay home. Can't say I totally disagree with them but FSU did struggle with G-Tech.....

Reaction Score
Its a good thing that the fans have the tough economy as an excuse to not go to a bowl game in their own state. Back in 2010 when things were just roaring along in the US, even having to fly across the country wasnt a good excuse. I bet they will also cite the fact that tickets can be had for $7 on Stubhub as reasons to not buy from the school, which is now also an acceptible excuse.
Tallahassee to Miami is about 5oo miles. It would be like Uconn fans traveling to VA or NC....doable but still a a major trip.We have a different view of distances living in the NE. Florida is a big state and Tallahassee and Miami are about as far away as you can get in Florida.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not just the economy but the date of the game. When they started moving the BCS Bowl games to weekend nights, AFTER New Years, it put those attendance figures at risk. It's easier to get some time off between X-Mas and New years and attend a game in a warm locale. However, to take time off after New Years day is not as easy. Granted this is coming from a teacher so my vacations are set in stone but I'd imagine the same would be for any families that bring kids along.

It's not just teachers. Most people can swing vacation for a bowl game with family and wrap it in to either Christmas or New Year's.

Much fewer people can take time off for the holidays and turn around a week later and take another 3-4 days off.

Reaction Score
Tallahassee to Miami is about 5oo miles. It would be like Uconn fans traveling to VA or NC....doable but still a a major trip.We have a different view of distances living in the NE. Florida is a big state and Tallahassee and Miami are about as far away as you can get in Florida.

That's true, but that argument also shreds the "FSU brings the Florida markets" message that they'd like to sell to the Big 12. FSU is a distant 2nd in Florida and isn't that big a draw in much of the state. Saying "we're too far from Miami" would be like Cal complaining that the Rose Bowl is too far away in Southern California. Weak, very weak.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The sad fact is if UConn went to the Orange Bowl (which didn't have a secondary market like the Fiesta Bowl), they would have sold over 20K seats. Maybe more. It's a car ride for students, tons of FLA-based fans would have went. Easier flights for the CT-based fans. This program has never really caught a break.

Reaction Score
The sad fact is if UConn went to the Orange Bowl (which didn't have a secondary market like the Fiesta Bowl), they would have sold over 20K seats. Maybe more. It's a car ride for students, tons of FLA-based fans would have went. Easier flights for the CT-based fans. This program has never really caught a break.

And still isn't... who the hell did we over that has the karma doll out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom