Not afraid to Lose | The Boneyard

Not afraid to Lose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One of the things that strikes me about Geno's teams is that, much as they want to win, they don't play like they are afraid to lose. I find this an amazing psychological feat.

Often, when pressure is put on to win, players and teams get tentative and afraid of making mistakes and create that which they fear. You rarely see this with a player at UConn. And as a team, results show that they manage to stay tough.

Hard as Geno is on the players, he manages to recruit, train and condition them to quite an amazing mental state!

Reaction Score
they don't play like they are afraid to lose. I find this an amazing psychological feat.

+1
It is amazing.

Maybe we preseason skeptics helped with that, since we already penciled in a few loses. With expectations lower--and Geno helped there too--they're playing with a chip on their shoulder. Maybe they don't feel the burden of the 83 game win streak, because for them it's only an 8 game win streak.

Reaction Score
I agree with you both. But I'm not even sure it's a chip on their shoulder. Auriemma seems to get them to do what Belichick tells the Patriots, ignore the noise. They're so focused on executing his game plan and relentlessly running down the opponent that it's like they're oblivious to all this so called "disrespect" and "expectations". I don't think they give themselves time to be afraid to lose, it never enters their minds. It's just them and the opponent in a vacuum and they ignore the noise.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It helps that they lose all the time in practice. Can't remember which one of the former big three mentioned it in the last couple of years, and it has been said by other former players as well, but that idea of figuring out how to work and win in 'impossible' situations is a great psychologic boost for players in games. That 40-0 'perfect team' and last years 38-0 team really ended up with records of around 100-500 - .200 when you include the practice scores. If they ever trail in the fourth quarter with 3 minutes to go, they have the memory of coming back against a six player practice squad from ten points down with two minutes remaining on the mythical clock. Heck, the opponent only has 5 players out there, we got this!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree with you both. But I'm not even sure it's a chip on their shoulder. Auriemma seems to get them to do what Belichick tells the Patriots, ignore the noise. They're so focused on executing his game plan and relentlessly running down the opponent that it's like they're oblivious to all this so called "disrespect" and "expectations". I don't think they give themselves time to be afraid to lose, it never enters their minds. It's just them and the opponent in a vacuum and they ignore the noise.
And the real fear is what Geno gave Gabby with :20 on the clock and a 13 point lead - she disappointed HIM with a less than stellar moment of play, after an otherwise 'hug-worthy' performance for 39:40

Reaction Score
It helps that they lose all the time in practice. Can't remember which one of the former big three mentioned it in the last couple of years, and it has been said by other former players as well, but that idea of figuring out how to work and win in 'impossible' situations is a great psychologic boost for players in games. That 40-0 'perfect team' and last years 38-0 team really ended up with records of around 100-500 - .200 when you include the practice scores. If they ever trail in the fourth quarter with 3 minutes to go, they have the memory of coming back against a six player practice squad from ten points down with two minutes remaining on the mythical clock. Heck, the opponent only has 5 players out there, we got this!
And the real fear is what Geno gave Gabby with :20 on the clock and a 13 point lead - she disappointed HIM with a less than stellar moment of play, after an otherwise 'hug-worthy' performance for 39:40

Uc & BobbyJ --- Thanks for the insights that shed a light on Geno's greatness. Those 3 posts express the underlying foundation of Geno's system. First, every second of every practice and every game is focused on one thing--execution. Next, the practices are very intense and Geno creates new situations that are overwhelming, but he expects the team to figure it out ( Remember Lou came to the bench with 4 fouls and Geno threw it back to her responsibility.) And finally, Geno has 40 minutes of positive expectancy which manifests itself in the Gabby "bad play" rant. There are so many layers of psychological interactions that it boggles the mind. I know it boggles my mind. These are just a few of the great posts that make my day--almost every day.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Lou's interview after the ND game also gives more insight as to why these young ladies continue to win. To paraphrase, Lou said they were prepared for the ND runs. So, if you are prepared and aware of what will happen, you can deal with it in real time. And the game proves this. ND went on a run, closed the gap or actually went ahead. UConn counters with its own run and shutting down ND's offense.

Call it refuse to lose or no fear, its wonderful to watch. Such excitement about this team.

Reaction Score
I think they were afraid to lose when they played ND during those 6 or 7 games losing streak. Most of the time they were ahead and seconds away from victory only to mess up with a bad pass or foul to give the victory to ND.

Geno finally figured that one out and prepared them differently when they met ND during the NCAA semi in 2013.

Reaction Score
There is a lot of pressure on these young student athletes to win at UCONN. It would seem that this team has some additional pressure given the success of the previous four years. However, this team is handling the pressure, thus far, much better than I thought they would. Part of it seems due to the personality of the team. They almost have a "what me worry attitude?" Not in an arrogant swagger kind of way but more because they are really enjoying playing with each other. They are playing as a team as well as any UCONN team. The assist distribution is fantastic. Their switching on defense in the ND game was awesome. It seems like they are each playing to make their teammates better.
Any way, yes they have Top 5 talent but they are getting more out of that talent than any other team I've seen this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think they were afraid to lose when they played ND during those 6 or 7 games losing streak. Most of the time they were ahead and seconds away from victory only to mess up with a bad pass or foul to give the victory to ND.

Geno finally figured that one out and prepared them differently when they met ND during the NCAA semi in 2013.
Yeah, I think the collective mindset is better now than during the 1-7 stretch.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse said something remarkable in the post game presser after the Texas game. Basically the reporter asked a question about when Texas had cut the lead to 2 points from 10+. Kia said " I did not realized that had happened".
I honestly don't think there is time for fear in anyone on these UCONN teams, there is only this tremendous collective focus on making the next play.

Reaction Score
Great point. I think this goes back to Geno putting them in near impossible situations on a regular basis. They are desensitized to stress.

They have to be. How can Gabby play the best game of her life, fly back to Storrs the same night to take two finals the next day? She showed no stress at all!!!

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse said something remarkable in the post game presser after the Texas game. Basically the reporter asked a question about when Texas had cut the lead to 2 points from 10+. Kia said " I did not realized that had happened".
I honestly don't think there is time for fear in anyone on these UCONN teams, there is only this tremendous collective focus on making the next play.

Coco, I have to say that you explained "what is taking place on the floor" so clearly that it's profound. You recognized Geno's vision of the mental game (tremendous collective focus on making the next play." And it also struck a nerve when Kia made her revelation that she COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THE SCORE--Who knew?---cause she got the next play and the next play and the next play. Yes, only one play can occur at a time. Make sure you are there ----- everytime! Proof - Gabby had one of the best games in WBB this season and right after Gabby made a poor decision, well, Geno was there to uphold the High Expectancy Level. Yes, he did mention it to Gabby at the next time-out. As you said Coco, "there is no time for fear." They are focused on the job at hand----just like every practice, every meeting, every workout, and every play in the game. How do you teach concentration, focus, attention span, and awareness? Ask Geno. He is the master of it and no one in WBB can match that priceless execution of the SYSTEM.

Reaction Score
These UConn teams definitely seem to have a mental toughness not exhibited by most. I've watched the Baylor and ND games and been incredibly impressed with what I've seen. I knew last years team would win the title before the tip off in November and posted on this forum that I wasn't that success would be sustained this year or beyond.

I'm not giving UConn the trophy yet but they are much, much better than I anticipated. I had them as a top 5 team before the season and for now they are easily number one. The Huskies will be a tough out for anyone in March.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would not say that this team plays with no fear. Most of them would run through walls for Geno and each other....or at least try. I think their greatest fear is letting down Geno and their team. That fear motivates them to do everything in their power, in practice and during games, to insure that they never, ever lose.

Reaction Score
I would not say that this team plays with no fear. Most of them would run through walls for Geno and each other....or at least try. I think their greatest fear is letting down Geno and their team. That fear motivates them to do everything in their power, in practice and during games, to insure that they never, ever lose.
Their practices are so intense and fearsome, they are actually relieved to come to a game.

Reaction Score
Their practices are so intense and fearsome, they are actually relieved to come to a game.

It's been this way ever since I can remember!!!!! There was a time when after practice players were not able to up the stairs to their rooms ( Kara Walters, Rebecca Lobo, others?).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This discussion reminded me of the fact that part of the pre-season training includes the Marine Corps conditioning program, run by a Marine. That program doesn't just teach conditioning, it also teaches unit cohesion. No one teaches unit cohesion better than the U.S. Marine Corps. Given the extremely difficult and sometimes life-threatening situations that Marines face, the concepts of duty, honor and sacrifice are essential. The worst conceivable fate for a Marine is not to die on the battlefield, its to let down your brothers in arms.

So when you see the Huskies diving on the floor for lose balls, sacrifcing their bodies to take a hard charge or getting karate chopped across the throat, you can think of the expression.....Semper Fi.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I put another concept out here - the connection between the UConn offense and the UConn defense.

I call it court awareness. We know the basics of the motion offense Geno runs. Each player moving constantly, the player with the ball having the options of dribble, pass (to one of four teammates) or shoot. Now apply the same philosophy to defense. This also allows the team on defense to "read" the opponents sets.

Watch when we are on defense how the players heads are constantly moving to see were the ball is in relation to the player they are guarding. We are able to anticipate passes and cut off the lanes. Look how many steals Gabby is getting. Totally aware of the opponents offense as she is her own. We have had numerous plays who had the ability to jump the lane, get the steal and have a breakaway.

Its the brilliance of Geno's coaching.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This discussion reminded me of the fact that part of the pre-season training includes the Marine Corps conditioning program, run by a Marine. That program doesn't just teach conditioning, it also teaches unit cohesion. No one teaches unit cohesion better than the U.S. Marine Corps. Given the extremely difficult and sometimes life-threatening situations that Marines face, the concepts of duty, honor and sacrifice are essential. The worst conceivable fate for a Marine is not to die on the battlefield, its to let down your brothers in arms.

So when you see the Huskies diving on the floor for lose balls, sacrifcing their bodies to take a hard charge or getting karate chopped across the throat, you can think of the expression.....Semper Fi.

Excellent tribute to The Corps. Permit me to mention that WW II US Army Paratroopers (82nd & 101st) will be honored at today's Army-Navy Game. We certainly know that they were A Band of Brothers.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I put another concept out here - the connection between the UConn offense and the UConn defense... Watch when we are on defense how the players heads are constantly moving to see were the ball is in relation to the player they are guarding. We are able to anticipate passes and cut off the lanes. Look how many steals Gabby is getting. Totally aware of the opponents offense as she is her own. We have had numerous plays who had the ability to jump the lane, get the steal and have a breakaway...

Watch the last 10 or so minutes of the ND game. Notice which team is able to move laterally with energy, and which team is flat-footed, almost plodding at times. The UConn kids were prepared to play, that's for sure.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Excellent tribute to The Corps. Permit me to mention that WW II US Army Paratroopers (82nd & 101st) will be honored at today's Army-Navy Game. We certainly know that they were A Band of Brothers.

Permit a very personal comment. One of our dearest personal friends is Barbara Gavin Fauntleroy, whose dad, General Jim Gavin, was the peerless commander and the very heart and soul of the 82nd Airborne Division throughout WW II. We can only imagine the joy and pride she surely felt while watching every Army player wear the 82nd "AA" patch as they gutted out a win over Navy today.

Reaction Score

Goodgood- - - players also saw they got no breaks from the refs and were expecting to be "burnt"!
Once they started playing UCONN BB they knew ND couldn't hurt them anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom