Not A Good Look For AAU In General (and for volleyball specifically) | The Boneyard

Not A Good Look For AAU In General (and for volleyball specifically)

Reaction Score
They may as well sell T-shirts with the slogan: "What Could Go Wrong?" or "Nothing Like Diving Right Into The Deep End Of The Pool. "

Fortunately, it looks like cooler heads are prevailing and a majority of teams are now withdrawing. Medical people are nearly unanimous in saying youth team sports should be among the last things to come back, and more so for travel teams that cross state lines. Yet many youth sports people/parents just seem to talk amongst each other and are gung ho about starting back up, despite the risks. It's a far leap from outdoor dining to indoor youth basketball tournaments held at multi-court facilities.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Lordy:

The AAU declined to make its president and CEO, Roger Goudy, available for an interview with USA TODAY Sports and agreed only to answer questions via email.

In written responses provided by spokesperson Rachel D'Orazio, the organization did not specify whether COVID-19 tests will be made available on site during the tournament nor what will happen if someone at the event tests positive, indicating only that it will follow local, state and CDC guidelines.

Honestly, I would not get on a plane right now unless a loved one far away was seriously ill or my job and income depended on it. An NBC News science contributor (42 years old and otherwise healthy) wound up in the hospital with COVID-19 and followed all known precautions while traveling by plane. He still got sick, and he thinks he got it through his eyes:

In what universe is that worth it just to play club volleyball?

Reaction Score
You do anything like that and you open the organization, venue, etc. up to huge liability issues.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Honestly, I would not get on a plane right now unless a loved one far away was seriously ill or my job and income depended on it. An NBC News science contributor (42 years old and otherwise healthy) wound up in the hospital with COVID-19 and followed all known precautions while traveling by plane. He still got sick, and he thinks he got it through his eyes:

In what universe is that worth it just to play club volleyball?

You mean a flight like this one?

Reaction Score
They may as well sell T-shirts with the slogan: "What Could Go Wrong?" or "Nothing Like Diving Right Into The Deep End Of The Pool. "

Fortunately, it looks like cooler heads are prevailing and a majority of teams are now withdrawing. Medical people are nearly unanimous in saying youth team sports should be among the last things to come back, and more so for travel teams that cross state lines. Yet many youth sports people/parents just seem to talk amongst each other and are gung ho about starting back up, despite the risks. It's a far leap from outdoor dining to indoor youth basketball tournaments held at multi-court facilities.

My oldest played club six years and these tournaments are germ fests. They are fun but so dirty and disgusting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom